Is there, or were there any after market goodies made in 1/72 scale to convert a B-24D to an RAF LB-30 with the .303 cal Boulton-Paul mid-upper and rear turrets, or the USAAC version with .50s?

Are you sure what you are asking for? Key differences between the LB-30 and the B-24D include different fuselages (the -D is longer) and engine cowlings (LB-30s are circular not oval). There were RAF versions of the B-24D, which would be simpler conversions.

The Magna conversion is up at Hannants. £33.30 without VAT.

The Boulton Paul turrets are available in the Falcon range. You may have to buy the British Bombers set including the Halifax, but check if they are in Sq Signals' separate range. However, I'm not sure that the LB 30s actually had the tail turret, this may need some research as to just which aircraft you wish to model. I do have the superb Air Britain book on Commonwealth Liberators, if you know what details to ask about.

I didn't know that about the RY nose - I'm tempted to ask why they needed the large tail, if they had the short nose, but I suspect the answer will lie in production convenience.

Isn't the shorter LB-30 nose the same as the alternative solid nose parts in the Matchbox / reissued RoG Privateer..?

Unfortunately no. The nose cap provided in the Matchbox Privateer kit is the same as that used on the C-87, which was basically a converted B-24D. The shorter length of the LB-30 (about 3 feet IIRC) was between the cockpit and nose cap, and would require some serious resculpting of the forward fuselage.

And it's not just the cowls that you'd need to replace. The entire engine nacelle is narrower, and doesn't have the turbosupercharger. That means that you'd have to remove the nacelle from the wing, and do some serious filling and sanding.

As for turrets, I think the only Liberators iwth the BP four-gun mid-upper turret had a hand-held tail gun setup, with a skinnier rear fuselage than the later B-24s (similar to the tail gun station recently installed on the Commerative Air Force's AM927.) I believe the Liberators with the BP four-gun tail turrets were converted B-24Ds, with the two-gun Martin turret just behind the cockpit. The good news is, I don't think any of the "short nose" early Liberators were actually equipped with turrets.

Don Fenton is our resident Liberator guru, and can give you much more specific info.

SN

Edited by Steve N

I was thinking about doing an Liberator Mk II/LB-30B, which had the longer nose. I already have the BP turrets from a RG Halifax.

New question, I have a Minicraft B-24D, will the Magna wings fit or are they designed for the Hasegawa kit?

Are you sure what you are asking for? Key differences between the LB-30 and the B-24D include different fuselages (the -D is longer) and engine cowlings (LB-30s are circular not oval). There were RAF versions of the B-24D, which would be simpler conversions.
New question, I have a Minicraft B-24D, will the Magna wings fit or are they designed for the Hasegawa kit?

It says 'Donor Kit Required: Academy Liberator' on the label, so you're all set. (it's the same mold as the Minicraft Liberator)

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MAG7292

;)

Edited by rcaf_100

The Mk.II was not the LB-30B. Despite what might be thought logical, the Mk.II was the LB-30 at 66ft overall, the Mk.I being the LB-30B (or B-24A) at 63ft 8.5in. The LB-30A were the six YB-24s. This is because deliveries were made out of design sequence. The LB-30s had both dorsal and tail BP turrets, or just the hand-held tail gun position, or neither. If retained for transport duties without conversion to BP turrets they were known as LB-30s. At least one is shown with the tail position and in delivery camouflage - possibly in use before the full transport conversion. If "properly" armed, they were Liberator IIs. Those with the hand-held tail and US (Martin?) top turret appear to have been the ones retained for US service. I suspect the US dorsal turret was added after adoption by the US, and the UK did not get any until the B-24Ds.

Aircraft to B-24D standard were Mk.IIIs.

The relationship between the variants is involved, and I suspect has been misunderstood in the past. You do need to be sure just which you wish to model.

Edited by agboak
I didn't know that about the RY nose - I'm tempted to ask why they needed the large tail, if they had the short nose, but I suspect the answer will lie in production convenience.

The RY-3 is based on the Privateer and thus has the additional 8' stretch in the fuselage over a B-24J, the length is essentially identical to a Privateer aside from the slight changes from swapping the turrets for nose/tail cones. Also the Navy considered the original tail of the B-24 to be insufficient for stability, they wanted the large tail even on their Liberators (but never got it as the B-24N never went into production).

Also the Navy considered the original tail of the B-24 to be insufficient for stability, they wanted the large tail even on their Liberators (but never got it as the B-24N never went into production).

I think you meant to say Army Air Force. :thumbsup:

The reason for the 7' stretch in the Privateer/RY-3 was because the Navy wanted an extra crew station for all the electronic gear necessary for ASW/anti-shipping missions (the "stretch" was between the cckpit and wings.) Also, since the Navy deleted the heavy turbosuperchargers (unecessary at the lower altitudes at which they flew) it threw the off the center of gravity, requiring a longer fusealge.

Back to the original subject..Afspret, if you get the Manga conversion please give us a report (with pics if possible.) I'm intrigued by the set and curious as to the quality.

SN

Edited by Steve N
I think you meant to say Army Air Force. :banana:

SN

Nope, Navy, the XB-24K (original single-tail testbed with the B-23 tail) was a result of the Navy's testing of the B-24 for maritime patrol, they were unsatisfied with the stability of the B-24D and wanted a larger single tail instead and that resulted in the order for the B-24N (with a C-54 tail rather than a B-23 tail) that the AAF also liked. The order for ~5000 B-24N's was cancelled due to switchover delays and the Navy ended up with standard B-24D's instead as the PB4Y-1 (albeit with a different nose turret).

The Privateer is esentially a stretched B-24N to fit the extra station and balance the modified engine installation.

• 2 weeks later...