Kinetic 1/48 F-16 BM RNoAF #80-3691

Here I am going to build a Norwegian F-16 BM, I am converting it easily from the ROCAF F-16 B set that Kinetic has put out. Tomorrow I will start the build, here is a little teaser of what to come:

691 was delivered to Norway in 31.March 1983. She has had no major mishaps in her career, she started out as a 331 sq bird, joining the 334 sq in June 1984 where she remained untill 1997 when she transfered to the 338 sq. She returned to the 334 sq for a short time from 1999 to 2001 when she again became a part of the 338 sq at Ørlandet. In 2006 she got her FLO markings and I had the privilege to sit in her front seat as she was being fixed up here in Bodø on the first of December 2009.

I will build her with 2 captive AIM-120's on st. 1-9, She will get a captive IRIS-T on st.8, TER's with single "dummy"Lockheed-Martin "Scalpel" GBU's (scratchbuilt) on st. 3-7 and 370 Gal. tanks on st. 6-4. On st. 5r she will carry the PANTERA pod (SNIPER XR). She will be given FLO markings.

I will present all the after-market details tomorrow!

Here are some pictures of the real bird!

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

1428617.jpg

0873882.jpg

0455134.jpg

Here is a picture of a Norwegian AM carrying the "scalpel" GBU

111585.jpg

To be continued!

Hello People!

I am sorry but the pictures I was planning to do must wait, the camera have been left in the car since the Cat Show we attended last weekend, so it has to warm up a bit before I can use it!

I would still like to introduce some of the after-market stuff I have got for this bird.

Here are Eduard PE for the F-16 D, that should do the trick for the pit!

DSC_0004.jpg

And the rest of the PE for this bird:

DSC_0005.jpg

Aires resin seats, as the seats that are included in the kit are not very good.

DSC_0072.jpg

A Wolfpack Design SNIPER XR pod (PANTERA) This one looks really niiiice!

DSC_0074.jpg

And here is IRIS-T missiles from Maestro Models, also very nice looking, they were a bit bent, but some hot water and a little gentle squeeze made them ok...

irist1.jpg

As soon as the camera is ok, I will bring you pictures of the decals I will use, and also a breakdown of the kit it self!

Finn-Ove

hmmmm...no mood to use the aires wheel bays? So you probably have less stress with all the fiddly eduard parts for the wheel wells! ;-) Maybe aires has a nozzle too...for the F-16D they have ( I know)...maybe for the "B" too? (Or will you make FODs and a nozzle cover?

hmmmm...no mood to use the aires wheel bays? So you probably have less stress with all the fiddly eduard parts for the wheel wells! ;-) Maybe aires has a nozzle too...for the F-16D they have ( I know)...maybe for the "B" too? (Or will you make FODs and a nozzle cover?

I am progressig slowly tobiK...so I decided not to buy the wheel bays, I have looked at the nozzle too, and that will be bought for later projects, as I have spent all I can this season. I have this one and two more to build before the Norwegian national-exhibition. After that I am planning more builds, then I will look into even more after market details. I will not have FODs ore nozzle cover on this one, I did it on the last one and this one will be all clean!

Edited by BK974

A quick update!

Been prepping all cocpit parts for PE, I have also glued the gun port in and filled the "panel" on the right side as it is not present on norwegian B's. I was just going to spray the area where the 'pit is, when I out of old habit sprayed everything black...well...I hope I will cover it with primer and color...

Cocpit panels sanded down:

filt3.jpg

filt2.jpg

filt1.jpg

Filled and sanded:

pussven.jpg

pusshy.jpg

My first PE part!!...Ever!!

etse1.jpg

It is all drying now, but tomorrow I will glue the PE into the 'pit and glue the pit in the body!

well...some AM parts are not that cheap! But yeasterday I got my aires wheel bays for the kinetic viper...incredible! You would kneel down too if you would hold that stuff in your hands! But...they are very easy to install! Resin for beginners! Ok, it costs about 10 EUR...

Yes, you can leave the intake open, it is realy well detailed and deep enough! But don' t follow the instruction, glue the complete intake + wheel wells + outer shell of the the intake, then sand the intake (the lips 's bigger then the rest, so you can sand of very well), repair some panellines, and then put this part into the bottom fuselage. So you will get a very nice intake without "steps" inside. To putty the seams inside the intake, i used water thinned white glue for wood. Let it flow in the seams, no need to sand after!

I hope this will help you, my f-16D arctic aggressor is only a few step in head...haha...but you will overtake soon it seams! Yes, and enjoy the PE parts for the pit! they look awesome! Because of a very narrow pit it could be that your bang seats won t fit well inside...just try! I use the ones from legend production...for them it is possible after some smoth sanding.

Hmmm..what about the sniper pod? Of course wolfpack is great, but there s one in the box too!? The norw. airforce does not use it?

well...some AM parts are not that cheap! But yeasterday I got my aires wheel bays for the kinetic viper...incredible! You would kneel down too if you would hold that stuff in your hands! But...they are very easy to install! Resin for beginners! Ok, it costs about 10 EUR...

Yes, you can leave the intake open, it is realy well detailed and deep enough! But don' t follow the instruction, glue the complete intake + wheel wells + outer shell of the the intake, then sand the intake (the lips 's bigger then the rest, so you can sand of very well), repair some panellines, and then put this part into the bottom fuselage. So you will get a very nice intake without "steps" inside. To putty the seams inside the intake, i used water thinned white glue for wood. Let it flow in the seams, no need to sand after!

I hope this will help you, my f-16D arctic aggressor is only a few step in head...haha...but you will overtake soon it seams! Yes, and enjoy the PE parts for the pit! they look awesome! Because of a very narrow pit it could be that your bang seats won t fit well inside...just try! I use the ones from legend production...for them it is possible after some smoth sanding.

Hmmm..what about the sniper pod? Of course wolfpack is great, but there s one in the box too!? The norw. airforce does not use it?

Thanx alot for the tips! I greatly appreciate it! There is no Sniper pod in the box for this kit, only in the single seater. So I had to order two extra, as i have two BM's to build. Also there is no sprue for the PIDS and ECIPS pylons that the norw. use, so I managed to get one from another ARC member (Thanx Seb!). That leaves me one short but I am hoping another friendly soul out there will provide me with another... I had to take the Dremel to the Quickboost seat I put into my AM, but it turned out really ok, so I am not very worried about that.

Finn-Ove

hi finn-Ove!

thank you very much for the hints, yes I ll make the 692 (from MA decalsheet "arctic tigers Pt.2"), with 2 wingtanks and ...? XR sniper pod? Maybe inert sidewinders and amraams... I "borrow" these parts from the F-16AM I have too.

So why don t you ask raymond from luckymodel if he could send you the spare sprues the the PIDS pylons and the sniper pod? Maybe he does it not for free, but at least you get this stuff and maybe a bit cheaper than buying resin?

(raymond is here in ARC forum too...). What about the landing gear of the BM? Is it the "light" version with or without the landing lights on the main gear? If it is so, you have to add on some bulbs (like MV lenses) or use the tamiya block 30 gear or a metal gear from scale conversion. I see...making a norwegian viper is no easy task! haha!!

Or should we "butcher" a kinetic AM viper? So you get all the stuff you need...I keep the rest?

hi finn-Ove!

thank you very much for the hints, yes I ll make the 692 (from MA decalsheet "arctic tigers Pt.2"), with 2 wingtanks and ...? XR sniper pod? Maybe inert sidewinders and amraams... I "borrow" these parts from the F-16AM I have too.

So why don t you ask raymond from luckymodel if he could send you the spare sprues the the PIDS pylons and the sniper pod? Maybe he does it not for free, but at least you get this stuff and maybe a bit cheaper than buying resin?

(raymond is here in ARC forum too...). What about the landing gear of the BM? Is it the "light" version with or without the landing lights on the main gear? If it is so, you have to add on some bulbs (like MV lenses) or use the tamiya block 30 gear or a metal gear from scale conversion. I see...making a norwegian viper is no easy task! haha!!

Or should we "butcher" a kinetic AM viper? So you get all the stuff you need...I keep the rest?

692 has the landing lights on the front gear, and is the light version, she is wearing the Sniper pod in 2007 and also in 2009. She is pictured with wingtanks and inert AIM-120 and a Inert AIM-9 on station 8 in 2007 and in 2009 an IRIS-T instead of the Sidewinder. Tell me if you want any pictures of her, I have plenty! I asked kinetic for a spare sprue, but they could not provide it, but I will ask Raymond, and yes, we could butcher a kit, that is a possibillity.... Makint a mostly correct norwegian is a puzzle, but I truly love them and will build lots more...

Finn-Ove

• 1 month later...

Here is my first attempt at making a GBU "dummy"......I do not know what they are called....If someone know I will be happy if they told....

GBUtrainer.jpg

If anyone wants a "recipe" just ask!!

Finn-Ove

Here is the latest small progress in my build....the brass AOA are from MASTER in Poland...gotta love those polish guys.....

nesetube.jpg

nesetube2.jpg

nesetube3.jpg

I have also managed to get the cockpit into the fuselage, will bring pictures of this later!

Cheers

Finn-Ove

Edited by BK974
The cockpit looks the BIZ!! :rolleyes:

Thank you Holmes! You can be my wingman anytime! But seriously, the PE parts for the cockpit has been a royal P.I.T.A...... When I was going to insert the cockpit into the fuselage nothing would fit, and most of the PE fell of, even when glued with superglue for 4 weeks ago...*sigh*...but it is in now!

Finn-Ove

Looking great the detailing... rock the house mate!... AOA sensors... look "polish-ed" ( :thumbsup: lol)... RNoAF Vipers (Any VIPER!! sorry too much sugar maybe...I'm a Viper FREAK!!) are a lot of fun to build, Cheers bro.

Looking great the detailing... rock the house mate!... AOA sensors... look "polish-ed" ( :salute: lol)... RNoAF Vipers (Any VIPER!! sorry too much sugar maybe...I'm a Viper FREAK!!) are a lot of fun to build, Cheers bro.

I agree! I am building actually TWO BM's at the same time, but the second one is a surprise...you will all get to see it when it is finished... I LOVE to build Vipers...weeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Finn-Ove

Have got some color on the LGTU....not finished yet but had to show you...hehe... I have now just built another one and hopefully I will start the main wheel well tonight!

BLU1.jpg

Finn-Ove

• 2 weeks later...

I have been chipping away at my two BM's the last days, made a list of things to do in the right order, decaling and weapons/pylons/tanks and pods each became an A4 page.... I have just finished putting some of the ED PE into the main well on one of them....I will show you pictures soon!

Finn-Ove

• 2 weeks later...

For the last few days I have been working on my TWO BM's.... and tonight I have finally been able to take a few pictures...Since I now have a vacation I will try to work on them every day, so I hope the pace will pick up!

Here is what my "twins" look like today!

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Finn-Ove