Getting rid of cracks in canopies.

Okay, I was sanding away the seam in my 1/72 F-2A canopy when I noticed that the pressure my thumb was placing on it caused a noticable crack to appear. Any tips on getting rid of it? I heard some trick with future might help.

James....sometimes hairline cracks can be fixed by applying Future to the part...slight pressure to the edges of the part can "open" the crack slightly,allowing the Future to work into the crack....I've had good results with larger cracks using the same process,but much depends on the angle of the crack thru the plastic....completley broken clear parts are pretty much a loss...that's when you glue the original back together and use it for a Thermo-form master,or perhaps make/buy a vac replacement,or scrounge a replacement spru or part from someone here on the net...and then there's always the last resort...buy another kit.....

.....the Academy 1/48 Su-27 kit comes with an unusually thin main canopy hood that is prone to stress cracks with just the slightest pressure...of the three I've built all three exhibited some degree of failure...one came out of the box like that....the worst was a .5in crack surrounded with spider webs....the Future was able to hide all the smaller cracks,and the larger one is only visible from a low angle of view....it's always worth a try.

HTH/Steve