Another scam, but caught my attention for the wrong reasons...

Got this today, he wants someone local to the US (first mistake, I'm in Ireland), bad grammar (second), vague instructions, and requirements that mainly are a bank account.

The icing on the cake though, is that the sent from email address just happens to be the one it sent to, i.e. my own! (obviously this is different to the one they want me to reply to, as listed in the email.)

I've recently turned over to Mozilla Thunderbird as my email app and it shows this as from me, to me!

So I gather I have had my email addy compromised. I figure also my address book may have been harvested, or maybe just my addy from some other address book. In short, I have two questions;

1; What are the chances of me getting a scam from myself?!!! Or were they just completly thick?

2; Is there anything I can do about this?

3; is it possible to set up mutiple email addys on my PC with just the one connection and ISP? (Okay, that's 3...no, 4....)

Cheers,

Roy

On 01/04/2010 02:40, Johnny Villalobos wrote:

> An import export company seeks remote employees.

> Our company specializes in marketing and selling of the various products on the Internet and our goal is to connect sellers and buyers

> for various products online thus assuring the best possible outcome for the both parties involved.

> Being foreign company makes it harder to manage sales transactions with US customers,

> thus we are looking for support of regional customer service representative.

> The main duties include receiving and making payments on client's behalf, managing the preparation and distribution

> for expected transactions and ensuring accuracy and promptness of payments and reports.

> Number of expected transactions per week: from 2-3 (at the beginning of work) to 5-7 (after the first probation month).

>

> Benefits:

> 1. Base salary(after a month evaluation period), commissions + monthly bonuses

> 2. All banking and cellphone expenses covered

> 3. Earnings in addition to your current job

> 4. No need to sell anything or look for customers

>

> Requirements:

> 1. Mobile and stationary phone

> 2. Access to e-mail via Internet or mobile phone

> 3. Minimum age: 25

> 4. Bank account

>

>

> If you are interested in this job offer, please send the your free form application to: Johnny@es-itech.net

>

> I'll answer you as soon as possible.

When you get mass mail like this, it's not coming from an actual e-mail program. It's a batch script from a linux box or something, and everything is falsified. They just write text wherever they want, rather than where actual programs put things.

So they put YOUR e-mail in the "to" field, then they also put it in the "FROM" field.

The point is you cannot trace back to where these e-mails originate. It's a major flaw in the outdated e-mail system we have today.

Internet e-mail is currently older than the Internet itself! It was intended for academic discussion, and it was expected that credentials were honored by the folks using it. Since then, most of the e-mail in the world sent today is "junk mail" abusing the lack of securty inherrent in the system.

I'd LOVE to see some sort of step forward in Internet e-mail format. A new format, that forces identification of the sender via direct IP address or something else, and so that you know where every e-mail is from (regardless of what they put in the "from" field) and that you could block it or go after the server hosting them.

The format we're using today is almost 30 years old, if not older. It was never designed for this. It need to go.

The only problem is the entire world is using this antiquated and inadequate system. Introducing anything new would be painful and slow (but IMO necessary).