Hi all

Well, chocks away and all that!

I intend completing three 72nd Airfix Hurricanes preparing to take-off in the classic three-ship style we see in the films of the day.

The setting is May/June 1940, and I`m pretty sure that all three aircraft served together at Tangmere, and they had interesting lives.

P3386 `H` is credited as probably 43 Squadron`s most successful aircraft during The Battle with twelve aerial victories including three JU-87 in one day, and three JU-87 and a Bf-109 on another.

L1592 `C` had an eventful war which it survived to become centerpiece of the aviation hall in The London Science Museum where it remains to this day with a new serial number.

P3784 `U` took off without engine oil after the log had been signed to say this had been done. The engine seized and the pilot made a wheels-up landing without injury. The worried sergeant who had missed this gaffe drove out to the crash site with cans of oil and told the soldiers guarding the airframe that oil was needed to stop `corrosion`. He filled up the engine and neither soldiers, pilot, or The RAF was any the wiser until after The War! :cheers:

The aircraft was repaired and may have been used as a `one-shot` CAM fighter catapulted off a freight ship.

This is my hommage to 43 Squadron, who I hope to see flying again soon! :cheers:

Cheers all, Ian

Edited by Ian Buick
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi all

Well, chocks away and all that!

I intend completing three 72nd Airfix Hurricanes preparing to take-off in the classic three-ship style we see in the films of the day.

The setting is May/June 1940, and I`m pretty sure that all three aircraft served together at Tangmere, and they had interesting lives.

P3386 `H` is credited as probably 43 Squadron`s most successful aircraft during The Battle with twelve aerial victories including three JU-87 in one day, and three JU-87 and a Bf-109 on another.

L1592 `C` had an eventful war which it survived to become centerpiece of the aviation hall in The London Science Museum where it remains to this day with a new serial number.

P3784 `U` took off without engine oil after the log had been signed to say this had been done. The engine seized and the pilot made a wheels-up landing without injury. The worried sergeant who had missed this gaffe drove out to the crash site with cans of oil and told the soldiers guarding the airframe that oil was needed to stop `corrosion`. He filled up the engine and neither soldiers, pilot, or The RAF was any the wiser until after The War! :soapbox:

The aircraft was repaired and may have been used as a `one-shot` CAM fighter catapulted off a freight ship.

This is my hommage to 43 Squadron, who I hope to see flying again soon! :rolleyes:

Cheers all, Ian

Interesting aircraft you have chosen. Love the story about 'U', and oil top up. So did the pilot, get any blame for the failure? What did they say was cause of the crash at the time?

• 4 months later...

FEENEESHED!!! (just!!)

43 Squadron, getting airborne again!

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

Sorry, I didn`t get more time in on this GB guys (life a bit hectic), the GB is full of great work. Looks like it was fun.

Just got my Hurricanes in before the end, as is my unintentional habit with GB.

Cheers all, Ian :)

Edited by Ian Buick
They look nice, Ian. Looks like you had a little problem with decal silvering. Wish you had posted in progress shots.

Thanks johnsan. Unfortuneatly the decals were pretty badly out of register and were white around some edges. As I boobed and thought the GB ended in August I simply rushed to get them done rather than source new decals. I roughed-up the decals to take out the worst of the effect, and may go back and do this further, some RAF paintwork was a bit rough and ready during the battle so maybe I could use this as a cover story for my dodgy-decalling. :thumbsup:

My camera AND computer decided to play games with me and no in`progress pics` was the result. Sorry.

Overall I was happy with them, but may revisit the roundels issue (not too difficult to do).

Glad you liked the trio and thanks for the kind words.

Cheers for an excellent GB

Ian :D

That looks cool Ian!

That runway looks a bit treacherous though... :woot.gif:

Well done... :sunrevolves:

Mark

Thanks Mark, and you`re right about the airfield, Biggin Hill it ain`t. They were growing carrots in it a couple of weeks ago. :)

Cheers, Ian :coolio: