With all the Canonites on this board...

you ARE?

WHOA!!!!

No of course, not...How could I...after they gave me this nice shirt. :taunt:

n730735294_2307630_4485.jpg

Darwin, your older lenses will work with the D90 (if they are an I mount, you'll just lose spot metering) just you'll lose metering and autofocus capability with the D3000/D5000 series camera bodies. The Photomic lenses should work just fine with the newer bodies; some, you may need an adapter. That's the beauty of Nikon cameras. Your DX Lenses will work with an FX body just that the body will automatically adjust to the smaller 1.5X crop. You don't have to mess around with L series lenses or another friggin' set of lenses as you would have to do in Canon.

ANIMAL - are you seriously considering liquidating your Nikon DSLR and lenses? I had to sell my D80 back last August, financial reasons, but I'm in the market again for another Nikon D, maybe a D80, D200, whatever I can find.

AND ONCE AGAIN. ~evil grin, evil laughter~ I am NOT switching. :taunt: I figured this was a good enough joke to pull on April Fool's Day. Evidently it worked well. :soapbox:

Sorry, M. I hope you can find a good solid D90. The D80s are getting harder to find. I have seen a few good deals on the D300s, if you're willing to save up for a while.

Edited by The_Animal
snip...You don't have to mess around with L series lenses or another friggin' set of lenses as you would have to do in Canon....snip

Just for the record, Canon L lenses are a label for a series in quality, not mount or compatibility. The EF mount started in 1987, and just about every Canon DSLR will use all of them. The EF-S is the more recent model made for crop sensor cameras. The 1.6 crop sensor cameras will use both EF and EF-S, while the larger sensor cameras will only use EF. At this point, you only have to worry about two types of Canon lenses, unless you're using lenses older than 1987.

Edited by Ken Cartwright
Just for the record, Canon L lenses are a label for a series in quality, not mount or compatibility. The EF mount started in 1987, and just about every Canon DSLR will use all of them. The EF-S is the more recent model made for crop sensor cameras. The 1.6 crop sensor cameras will use both EF and EF-S, while the larger sensor cameras will only use EF. At this point, you only have to worry about two types of Canon lenses, unless you're using lenses older than 1987.

OK. Ken, my bad. I guess, with Nikon you don't have to mess with EF or EF-S lenses or worry about which lens goes on which camera. You shove a DX sensor lens on a D3 or D3x; the camera won't sit there and cry about it. It'll take it and say "OK, but you're down to 5 MP." Maybe one of these days, Nikon will figure out a way of retaining 12.1 MP on a FX cropping down to DX sensor. At least I won't have to buy a whole new set of lenses.

Frankly though, if you're shooting a D3 or D3x, you should be able to afford a FX lens. You won't run into the problem of vignetting using a DX lens on an FX frame camera. Whereas if you try using an EF-S lens on a Canon 1Ds Mk. III or a 5D Mk. II you'll end up vignetting which is all fine and dandy if you want that effect. :taunt:

And for the record, the Nikon F Photomic was the first Nikon camera to have the F-mount for it's lenses. This means that any of Darwin's lenses that he currently has can be used with the Nikon D90. All Nikon cameras after the Photomic F have been "F" mounts.

Incidentally, has anyone got the "Complete Nikon System, An Illustrated Equipment Guide", "Nikon Compendium Handbook of the Nikon System

" and "Nikon: A Celebration" I need those books to finally get my Ph.D in Nikonology. :soapbox:

Edited by The_Animal