Pirates attack US Navy frigate, with predictable results

Hellfires. Penguins are too large and inefficient for a helo (I know they were tested as the AGM-119). USN has started arming the SH-60 family with a navalized version of the Hellfire.

Jon

So would the naval version be the HellFi-arrrgh missile? :lol:

That would work...

How do you time it to a 1 sec burst only, if it's 3 secs what would they find, other than splinters in the water, ooops there goes the evidence, but no evidence no crime; who's gonna report it, well there is video tape of before, during, and Holyyyy SH...!!!.

Just a thought:

“Don’t cheer, boys. The poor devils are dying.â€

– Capt. John Philip of the USS Texas, to his crew as they watched the Spanish ship Vizcaya burn off Santiago Bay, Cuba, in 1898.

Make of it what you will.

Well: Here's one for ya.

Every decision involves a consequence.

Decision: Attack US Navy ship.

Consequence: DEATH.

Simple enough.

Edited by The_Animal

I like the Q ship idea, about time we brought them back.

About 15 years ago when i worked for a major far eastern shipping company certain goverments would drop special forces teams on their own flagged container ships going through the Malacca Straights, that worked at the time.

Julien

Bad life choice.

Way to go USN. Whack 'em and stack 'em.

This is piracy on an industrial scale reminiscent of the 17thC. Why are merchant ships not suitably armed to defend themselves? Ships back then were. I have read that the risk does not justify the cost of arming the vessels and carrying a "security" team (ok, mercs). Only one in a couple hundred ships is attacked and fewer are taken. Does insurance pay the ransom? Are there are some restrictions governing putting armed security personnel aborad merchant ships?

Mongo

I see the very first post on this thread , the pirates had gotten as far as Seychelles when they were captured and their "ship"/boat sunk...Coo..Seychelles is where MY MOMS younger sister lives and I have been there......{ they have a yacht too but stay out of waters now and have done so for a good few years because of these Somalian pirates infiltrating other waters}

Its not that the pirates are not bright, they are BRAZEN in their actions.

I think they have no regard for their own life and to them it is cheap and there are many more of them

to take their place should they need to..... :jaw-dropping:

Well, if they are going to attack a frigate, that class would be the one to attack. It is not very well armed or armored. Nice looking though. Having a helo det helps FIG 7's alot. If I were a Perry class captain, I would not want to square off against, say,a Kashin, which is also classified as an FFG, but is a much more robust vessel.

The Perry class has less firepower than some 80' patrol boats. A 76mm cannon, phalanx, a few machine guns and a helo or two. Absolutely no anti-aircraft capability except close in defense, very lightly armored and minimal offensive armament. It's basically a Coast Guard cutter in grey paint.

The Perry class has less firepower than some 80' patrol boats. A 76mm cannon, phalanx, a few machine guns and a helo or two. Absolutely no anti-aircraft capability except close in defense, very lightly armored and minimal offensive armament. It's basically a Coast Guard cutter in grey paint.

i thought some of the cutters mounted harpoon launchers?

The SM1 that was carried was made obsolete as it could not be carried in a VLS system such as that on the Aegis cruisers and Burkes, so as they became time expired (the motors) they were removed and so did the Mk 13 from the Perrys. Even early Ticonderogas have been decommissioned as they utilized the older missile (Tico, Yorktown and Vincennes)

From Wiki....

The remaining American "long-hull" Oliver Hazard Perry-class warships are being modified to reduce their operating costs. The Detroit Diesel Company electrical generators are being replaced with more modern Caterpillar, Inc.-made diesel engines and the ships' Mk 13 single arm missile launchers and magazines have been removed from all U.S. Navy active frigates because the primary missile that it was meant to fire, the Standard missile SM-1MR, has outlived its service life.[3]

USS Rodney M. Davis (FFG-60) after the removal of her foredeck Mk 13 missile launcher.It would supposedly be too costly to refit the Standard Missile SM-1MR missiles, which had a marginal ability to bring down sea-skimming missiles. Another reason for withdrawing the SM-1MR from the American ships is to focus the supplies of these missiles to American allies, such as Poland, Spain, Australia, Turkey, and the Republic of China (Taiwan), which need them most. (Possessing no or few other guided-missile warships in their navies.)

With the removal of their Mk 13 missile launchers the American Oliver Hazard Perry-class warships also lose their Harpoon anti-ship missile capability. However, their Seahawk helicopters can carry the much shorter-ranged Penguin anti-ship missile, delivered far from the ship by helicopter. The "zone-defense" anti-aircraft warfare (AAW) capability has vanished, and all that remains is a "point-defense" type of AAW armament.

The U.S. Navy plans to update the Oliver Hazard Perry-class warships' Phalanx CIWS to the "Block 1B" capability, which will allow the Mk 15 20 mm Phalanx gun to shoot at fast-moving surface craft and helicopters. The remaining Oliver Hazard Perry-class ships are also to be fitted with the Mk 53 DLS "Nulka" missile decoy system, which will be better than the presently-equipped chaff (SRBOC, Super Rapid Blooming Offboard Chaff) and flares at guarding against anti-ship missiles.

On June 16, 2009, Vice Adm. Barry McCullough turned down the suggestion of Mel Martinez to keep the Perrys in service, citing their worn out and maxed out condition. However Ander Crenshaw and Gene Taylor have taken up the cause.

Edited by Matt Roberts