My Cat has been hurt!

This is my Cat and best friend, Molly.

IMG_0149.jpg

She was an RSPCA rescue cat that I picked up a bit over two years ago and she helped me through a lot of very difficult times recently, always there for me and curling up to me and letting me know that she cares.

I came home today from spending Good Friday with family and friends and heard her crying out in distress from the front yard, instead of the normal warm greeting I get when I arrive home. I find her looking upset on the chair out the front, and a close look at her revealed a lot of blood coming from one of her back legs. One end of the limb was very bloody and with the skin ripped open exposing the bone and other grisly bits inside. After quickly taking her to an after hours vet, it looks like she has been hit by a car. She is now bandaged and dosed up with antibiotics and pain killers and will stay at the veterinary surgery waiting for an X-Ray and more checks ups tomorrow before surgery.

It looks like she's going to lose that back leg, but the vet says that she should recover fully if no complications set in. It'll be a bill of around $1300, but I'm glad to pay it to give her a chance.

Argh - So far 2010 is turning out to be even worse than the disaster that 2009 was!

Edited by BadCop

We had the same thing happen last fall. Ike got out of it with a pelvis that was broken in four places and a partially collapsed lung. We got out of it with a $4000 vet bill. He (and his sister Tina) is an indoor only kitty now unless he's on his leash. He doesn't mind that very much, he's a pretty good leash walker. Tina isn't sure yet.

I think it's money well spent. I feel there's a moral contract between you and a pet when you take one in. I am completely sure I'd feel way worse if we had not spent the money to get Ike patched back up.

I see Molly has the same taste in accomodation that Tina has!

Edit:

Here's Ike after the operation that installed a plate and pins to hold his pelvis together while it healed.

dsc06953f.jpg

He's pretty much as good as new now. The only reminder of the event is that he won't jump up on things higher than about two feet. That may not be a bad thing...

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

BadCop, Poor Molly, poor kitty. She'll be in my prayers. Hopefully she has a full recovery. Will ask my 11 fur-angels to guard her and help her through this.

Animal (missing his Sam).

There is nothing more upsetting than finding your pet in extreme distress. I hope your friend heals quickly and you find her curled up in your lap as soon as possible. We had a dog that after several years developed skin cancer. We had the tumor removed and it was very expensive. All tests came back clean afterwards. He lived another several years and we still miss him very much. I don't regret a dime spent to make him well. Try to keep them as long as you can. I know it's hard to pay the vet bills. We recently had one of our dogs get a severe infection in his hind end. He almost died and the only reason we knew something was wrong was he started to wander off to be alone, very much unlike his personality. We suspected there was something seriously wrong with him. The bill came to over $800.00 and at a bad time but what can you do. You pay and hope things get better later. Glad to hear you friend will make it. That's a pretty kitty.

This is my Cat and best friend, Molly.

IMG_0149.jpg

She was an RSPCA rescue cat that I picked up a bit over two years ago and she helped me through a lot of very difficult times recently, always there for me and curling up to me and letting me know that she cares.

I came home today from spending Good Friday with family and friends and heard her crying out in distress from the front yard, instead of the normal warm greeting I get when I arrive home. I find her looking upset on the chair out the front, and a close look at her revealed a lot of blood coming from one of her back legs. One end of the limb was very bloody and with the skin ripped open exposing the bone and other grisly bits inside. After quickly taking her to an after hours vet, it looks like she has been hit by a car. She is now bandaged and dosed up with antibiotics and pain killers and will stay at the veterinary surgery waiting for an X-Ray and more checks ups tomorrow before surgery.

It looks like she's going to lose that back leg, but the vet says that she should recover fully if no complications set in. It'll be a bill of around $1300, but I'm glad to pay it to give her a chance.

Argh - So far 2010 is turning out to be even worse than the disaster that 2009 was!

Thanks again for the continuing kind words and best wishes from her fellow felines! It must have done the trick as I've just heard from the vet - She's not going to have to lose her leg! :P

The X-Rays showed that her bones were chipped in a few places but not broken. They are going to flush out the joint where it was exposed and stitch it up. After that regular antibiotics and bandage changes should do the trick for a few weeks.

It seems that she's a very tough girl! Bouncing off cars relatively intact is an impressive trick even for her. Now I wonder what the car looks like?

Thanks again for the continuing kind words and best wishes from her fellow felines! It must have done the trick as I've just heard from the vet - She's not going to have to lose her leg! :D

The X-Rays showed that her bones were chipped in a few places but not broken. They are going to flush out the joint where it was exposed and stitch it up. After that regular antibiotics and bandage changes should do the trick for a few weeks.

It seems that she's a very tough girl! Bouncing off cars relatively intact is an impressive trick even for her. Now I wonder what the car looks like?

Excellent news! Our Little Grey didn't fare so well a few years ago. We still miss him, mischief and all.

Cinnamon sends her best...

0009_Crop.jpg

So does Thumper...

Thumper_12-23-06.jpg

Edited by Neptune48
Thanks again for the continuing kind words and best wishes from her fellow felines! It must have done the trick as I've just heard from the vet - She's not going to have to lose her leg! :D

Great news! Molly 1, Car 0.

:cheers:

Mike

Thanks again for the continuing kind words and best wishes from her fellow felines! It must have done the trick as I've just heard from the vet - She's not going to have to lose her leg! :cheers:

A smoking pile of debries at the side of the street :D

Glad to hear that she will do fine.

I'm not a cat-person, however any animal suffering is [not] something I enjoy. I'm very glad to hear that she'll be back to normal in a while, and probably driving some of us dog lovers bananas :woot.gif: :lol: . Well at least she'll be healthy doing it.

Thanks once more to everyone (both two and four legged) for the continued get well wishes and good thoughts. Molly is back home now, looking much the worse for wear, but still in one piece with all limbs intact.

She was incredibly lucky and it seems just suffered from having a spinning tyre tear the skin on the bottom of her leg open and avoided going under the wheels and having any broken bones or bad crush injuries. She just had a few small chips taken out of the bones, and had some skin on her thigh very close to being ripped open as well. I'd say she has used up a fair amount of the seven lives allocated to her!

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

She's finding the bandaged leg a little awkward, but is managing to work around it.

IMG_0514.jpg

I've showed Molly all of the pictures of all of her feline friends, and I'm sure she appreciates the moral support they have given her.

Thanks again,

Trent

:wave:, Hi Trent, my prayers and thoughts go to Molly. It's good that she likely won't have to lose that leg now. When we had our dog he once stepped on a broken globe in the workshop. That was a trip to the vet and a stitch up job and a night in the cages and a few hundred dollar bill. Later in his life he was jumping around in the garage as Dad was getting the car out and he jumped over a cardboard carton and pulled a tendon in the same leg. Poor old Dad thought he had hit Blackie with the car and was so upset. Another few hundred dollar trip to the vet and he was fine. Our animal friends are always there and their love is unconditional. Pity we humans don't seem to be able to learn from them in this regard. YOu still have your best friend and I'm sure she'll be more careful around cars in future.

:woot.gif:,

Ross.

Sorry to here about this bud.

If you have a house, check with your house insurance, that bill might be covered.