Agusta-Westland EH-101 Merlin HM.1 1/72

After more than one year it's finally finished. Here's the roll out of my EH-101 Merlin HM.1 in 1/72. It was a practice-build to try out some new techniques and it was the first time I used pe-parts. It was also the first time I made a base and it was the first time I made some figures to create a little diorama. A fellow modeller said to me figures - they make it or they break it so I was quite afraid to use them.

This model shows ZH860 that was given some tiger stripes for an airday in Culdrose in 2002. It kept that look throughout it's mission on the HMS Ark Royal in February 2003. If you are interested in it's developing process with some photos you can read my thread in the helicopter-section: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=175334

a001x.jpg

I used the Revell kit no. 04410 and the Italeri kit no. 1248 for the small wraparounds at the rotorhead (not included in the Revell kit). I also used pe-parts from Eduard, White Ensign Models and Airwaves and finally the Royal Navy Deck Crew from The Aviation Workshop.

a002x.jpg

I like Navy-birds because the Navy suffers the same problem as me: lack of space. I like folded planes and helicopters not only because they save space but I also think they look quite interesting. My favorite helicopter type is the Sea King but the Merlin is definitely second! i like it's elegant shape.

The Melin was given some covers and rbf-tags and the scenery could be an "open ship" so the crew mounted some stingrays and Mk.11 depth charges to show some of it's weapon equipment.

a003q.jpg

The torpedos were included in the kit but the depth charges were scratch built. The covers were used from the Eduard-set but the exhaust-covers are scratch built too. The rbf-tags were made from receipt-paper.

a004f.jpg

The hinge for the tail was detailed with some wire and styrene. To make the rotorblades foldable it was necessary to rebuild the rotorhead.

a005s.jpg

The base was made from a slat that was pasted with sandpaper. All lines and numbers were airbrushed.

a006y.jpg

The mirrors are a mix of kit-parts (housing) and steelwire (rods). On this picture you can also see the scratch built sunblinds.

a007q.jpg

Here's the "Aircraft Director" checking the Merlin. The white trousers were first coated in e very light grey and than drybrushed with white. I used the same technique for the blue jacket. After painting I gave the figures a brown wash and a matt cote.

a008k.jpg

Here's the "Plane Captain" shortly before jumping into the Merlin.

a009y.jpg

I mounted the figures with a little pin so they are moveable.

a010e.jpg

And here's the face of the Merlin. Sadly Revell gave it a very wide bar in the midlle of the windscreen- I sanded it down and made a new one by painting a fine line.

Since it was a tryout-built I learned many new techniques and tricks and of course it's not perfect in every detail but i liked building it and I hope you like it too.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/5078/a011w.jpg

Thank you all very much! I'm really glad you like my work! :deadhorse1:

@centuryfan: Thank you! I was asked to show the Merlin in Lübeck although it wasn't finished yet.