F/A-18A anti-shipping loadout

Here's what I want to do. Let's suppose the cold war went hot in the 80s.

A US carrier group detects a Soviet Kirov class ship and wants to take it out. Could this work on a A model Hornet?

Wings:

- Wing tip: AIM-9L or M

- Outer pylon: AGM-84 Harpoon (left wing) / AGM-88 Harm (right wing) (or the other way around)

- Inner pylon: 330 galon fuel tank

Fuselage stations: AIM-7F/M Sparrow

Center station: clear

TIA,

Ricardo

I'd go with what Andre said as well as switch the AIM-7 for the FLIR pod on the left cheek station ...

One might even see some Strikers in that scenario with two Harpoons or two HARMs ...

Gregg

Probably. But I'd put another fuel tank on the centreline (or a Mk.20 CBU - this was used on anti-shipping loads in real life).

Cheers,

Andre

Whilst the CBU would have been used in real life I would hate to have to have been the pilot who had to deliver it against anything more than a boghammer. Sounds like 1 way ticket to a swim

I'd go with 2 Harpoons or 2 Harms as Gregg suggested. Much more survivable for the pilot in the scenario you're looking at

Edited by a4s4eva

You would take those two weapons to the fight, but not likely on the same aircraft. Gotta keep it simple. Huge drag count on Harpoon, would most likely only see one Harpoon on the Hornets for fuel considerations.

But it's your model, so load her up with Harpoon and HARM, Harpoon x 2, or HARM x 2...any of them would look cool.

ATIS

Edited by Collin
I'd go with what Andre said as well as switch the AIM-7 for the FLIR pod on the left cheek station ...

One might even see some Strikers in that scenario with two Harpoons or two HARMs ...

Gregg

A Hornet carrying Harpoons or HARMs is not planning to get anywhere close enough to a Kirov to use the FLIR. Those ships have significant AA defenses and no one is probably going to survive getting into gravity bomb range. More likely, I think they might just carry one AIM-7 and leave the other station empty.

Whilst the CBU would have been used in real life I would hate to have to have been the pilot who had to deliver it against anything more than a boghammer. Sounds like 1 way ticket to a swim

The Mk.20 on the centreline was used in anger in the 80s (and since the question was about an F/A-18A I went in the direction of the early years of Bugs in Navy service) against Lybian ships. These probably had less dense defences than your average Soviet battle group.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre

Mk20's where also used to counter smaller attack/rubber speedboats in the Gulf during Praying Mantis. For a Kirov, I'd stay well away and use Harpoons or ask the subs to do the job for me :D

How about this.

Would they have used the F/A-18 for this ? Since the Kirov doesn't present an air threat like a US carrier does. Wouldn't A-6, A-7 and S-3's have done this instead, with the Hornet and Tomcats providing cover and drawing attention ?