Tamiya 1/32nd F-15C 65th Aggressors

Hi fellows,

After building quite some Trumpeter & Academy kits in a row I really wanted to taste the quality of Tamiya again. So what did I find in my stockpile? One of Tamiya's big F-15C Eagles .

I don't think I'm the only one obsessed by the colorfull aggressor birds but as I don't have a single one of them in my collection its time to change that. Finding the kit was one thing, finding the decals was way harder as the decals are out of production now. In the end I found an example of it at a e-store in Australia.

The first things to start with was to fill al the ejection holes. I must say there are quite many holes to be filled. The intakes & exhaust are the most visible ones.

img2826copy.jpg

This is just to bad, Tamiya did a wonderfull job on the outside of the exhausts but failed on the inner parts. Leaving 3 ejection holes on each nozzle section.

img2828copy.jpg

Filled them up and sanded them smooth with my custom sanding stick

img3167copy.jpg

Furthermore the assembly is pretty straight forward. Just the amount of parts makes it a bit of a challenge.

I used Alclad II for the metals, lightened Tamiya Buff for the inner coatings and enamel black for the streaks.

I'm still planning to do somekind of weathering on the outside but I didn't had the time yet.

img4189copy.jpg

I also adjusted the rudders. Early Eagles have those reinforcements on their rudders, but those were later on replaced by a new type of rudder, without the bulges. Check your references to see which type of rudder you need as you can have both types. My Eagle has the newer type of rudders.

img2831copy.jpg

The last thing for today are my adjustments to the panel lines on the back of the fuselage. The fuselage panles on all Tamiya Eagles ( F-15C and F-15E ) represent those from an F-15E Strike Eagle instead of a Charlie version. On the F-15E there are more acces panels and the layout of the intakes of the starter are totally different. On the F-15E there are 6 small air intakes, on the F-15C there is only one big one just of center.

Those are the panel lines that need attention.

img3745copy.jpg

Masked the details that didn't have to be removed.

img3752copy.jpg

After some filling and sanding the panel lines were gone and with the help of a nice scribing template from Verlinden I added the new air intake.

img3754copy.jpg

And this is it now. A bit hard to see with the primer coat but I'm very pleased with the result.

img4355copya.jpg

So thats it for now.

More to follow!

Greetz

Rick

Edited by Rick De Smet
Hey Rick, great start on the aggressor Eagle!! Are you building the blue or brown Eagle?

I'm planning to do the brown Eagle as you almost never see those. I've seen quite some blues in the past but the brown ones are more eyecatching for me.

This is the one provided by Afterburner on their sheet.

http://img339.imageshack.us/i/117506111024.jpg/

Thanks for the comments! I'm currently tackling the Aires pit. A magnificent piece of resin but not that easy to install.

Greetz

Rick

Edited by Albert Moore
Airliners copyright infringement

Rick,

It will be SO good and different to see a Browncolored Aggressor Eagle...

you are so right in saying that Brown ones are far more eye-cathcing than the usual blues.

I like your build and like what you have done so far..Good neat work

:P :jaw-dropping:

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Long time no see I know but hopefully thats gonna change. Last month I bought myself a new desktop and I must say my flightsim addiction took over for a few weeks.

So were did we end last time? Right, the cockpit.

As you've noticed in my first post I've decided to use the Aires cockpit set for the late F-15C. I must say I'm really floored from the detail they've put in this set, its a real piece of art on its own! If I were to compare this set to the one I've used on my Crusader project I must say this one comes out as the better set. The buttons and switches one the IP's are of the finest I've ever seen and the PE front IP has a lot more depthfeeling on it. As my crusader panel existed of a single layer of PE this one uses multiple layers, so your instruments rise out. The set itself exists of no less than 58 parts.

I started with the front IP, this one alone exists of 24 different parts (PE+plastic rod buttons+film).

After assembly I've painted its base color, Dark Gull Gray (FS36231).

img4401copy.jpg

The next I did was the glareshield, which I painted flat black.Notice that Aires forgot a cable from the radar scope recorder, see the electrical wire. (or the cable was so fragile it just broke of when it left the mold)

img4413copy.jpg

After the glareshield I've painted some of the basic colours of the pit itself. Dark gull gray was used for the first part and flat white for Bay 5. Why the bay 5 is white has been discussed a lot on the forum so I won't explain it to much. If you build an Eagle that has been been build before 1980 is either the metallic green or white (if it had its MSIP upgrade), If its an Eagle build from 1980 is white all the way no discussion. Check your references to be sure.

Mine is is produced in 1980 so its a white one.

The IP details are hand painted.

img4414copy.jpg

Some further detailing and drybrushing on the avionix boxes. Data placards from Eduard are a real joy to work with.

img4612copy.jpg

Done a bit more work on bay5. I'm really glad Aires developped their pit in 2 pieces, this made the painting a little easier but it remained a nice challenge nevertheless. A steady hand proves to be very usefull.

img4630copy.jpg

The front IP panel. ( On the picture my instrument film moved a little to the left but no worries, it hasn't been glued yet )

img4632copy.jpg

Some more general pics:

img4629copy.jpg

img4635copy.jpg

img4628copy.jpg

So thats it for this update.

Next up is the ejection seat and than everything has to be fitted in the FWD fuselage. Thas gonna be quite a challenge I've heard.

Thanks for watching.

Greetings

Rick

• 6 months later...

HI everybody.

Back from the death I would say. After the completion of the airshow season I can finally proceed with my modeling.

My Eagle is as good as ready, I just need to glue the canopy to the canopy frame and varnish my AIM-9X. But I'll try to do my best to put up a little overview.

We finished with the cockpit last time so it's time for the airframe now.

Some additional hydraulic lines were added, the scissors were hollowed and everything received a little paint.

img9003copy.jpg

The Regenerative Heat Exchanger was deleted, this is no longer installed on my Eagle.

img0597copy.jpg

I also chose to rework the screens at the gun bay. They are normally molded close by Tamiya bit I wanted to add some more detail in that area.

The kit parts were sanded from the inside and a PE screen was added.

img0600copy.jpg

Much better now!

img0609copy.jpg

In the meanwhile disaster stroke. I overtorqued the screws on the rear fuselage resulting in a nasty cracked & deformed upper surface.

Very annoying as that area has to receive a metal finish, highlighting every defect... :)

img0628copy.jpg

So back to filling and sanding...

img0630copy.jpg

Next is th Aires pit. Typical Aires again, marvellous detail but a really difficult fitting. The bottom and sides require a lot of sanding to fit the front fuselage.

img9004copy.jpg

And that isn't the only problem. The pit is about 2-3 mm too short, resulting in a gap behind bay 5.

img9007copy.jpg

Again some putty came to the resque.

img0633copy.jpg

img0634copy.jpg

Thats it for the first winter update.

Greetings

Rick

Edited by Rick De Smet