Bf 109E-1, 6./JG 54, "Brown 2" (Finished)

OK, have most of the interior work done. This kit has really been a treat so far, detail is just amazing. Since this aircraft was still sporting 70/71 on the upper surfaces I figured it may have been a veteran so I put a little more "wear" in the cockpit than normal, paint chipping, etc. I started with a base of Magnesium Metalizer and after the MM acrylic RLM 02 was applied and still setting up I chipped the paint with a toothpick. Followed by a coat of future and then an oil wash of thinned down Windsor and Netwon raw umber. The oxygen regulator is too tall if installed stock, cut off the bottom two rows of perforations to get the correct height. I also added a couple of Mike Grant placard decals and then applied a flat coat.

2002_01010079.jpg

2002_01010080.jpg

2002_01010081.jpg

2002_01010078.jpg

2002_01010083.jpg

2002_01010084.jpg

After taking the pictures I realized this mistake! :pray:

2002_01010084-1.jpg

Edited by The Mikester
Looking pretty good, Mike. Is this the kit you picked up in Volks a while back?

It is indeed.

OBTW, that mistake... saw that right off.

It's going to stay that way, messed with it a little and determined that I'd do more damage moving it and trying to repair stuff. Hopefully the Bf 109 Gods will forgive me.

LOVE the interior work Mike! Very nice effect and most convincing!!! I had to do a double take, however, as this reads as a 1/32 entry and I was sure you were mostly 1/72. :P

Greg

It is indeed.

It's going to stay that way, messed with it a little and determined that I'd do more damage moving it and trying to repair stuff. Hopefully the Bf 109 Gods will forgive me.

I was hoping you'd pick up on the Jeremiah Johnson reference.

That looks like a nice kit. I'm sure you'll do it justice.

I was hoping you'd pick up on the Jeremiah Johnson reference.

That looks like a nice kit. I'm sure you'll do it justice.

Sheez, we're dating oursleves here, John! :lol: You pried a few inert brain cells loose on that one.

LOVE the interior work Mike! Very nice effect and most convincing!!! I had to do a double take, however, as this reads as a 1/32 entry and I was sure you were mostly 1/72. :lol:

Greg

I was thinking the same thing Greg. He moved up two weight divisions!

Yes, I have been bitten by the 1/32 bug...

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=206527

Scale of choice for middle aged guys with 10 left thumbs and failing eysesight! ;)

Keep me posted on your thoughts building this in 1/32 Mike, as I've yet to try anything but 1/48 but am certainly tempted with some of the latest offerings in 1/32. That, and middle-aged, two left thumbs builder makes it all that much more attractive too. :lol:

Greg

Some work on the wheel wells, OOB was a little lacking:

2002_01010086.jpg

I applied some lead foil and textured it with semi round file:

2002_01010088.jpg

Finished product, picture is not great but hopefully you get the idea:

2002_01010091.jpg

I'm making pretty good progress on assembly, everything is going together pretty well up to this point:

2002_01010094.jpg

2002_01010096.jpg

Fantastic stuff Mike. Great tip for adding some detail to the wheel wells too, as it truly looks like the leather booting material used on these fighters. :cheers:

Greg

Tempestwulf, 02 would be correct for this time period. You won't go wrong with a Tamiya Emil. That's pretty much a viceless kit.

Second that motion, the Tamiya Emil is just a wonderful kit.

Here's something I found interesting. Any 109 buff knows that on the Emil the seatbelts were fed through an opening in the back of the seat, right?

brown2_2.jpg

These are fed over the top, unlike the F and later they appear to be secured behind the seat though.

And here's a scan of the paint scheme:

brown2_1.jpg

Edited by The Mikester
Here's something I found interesting. Any 109 buff knows that on the Emil the seatbelts were fed through an opening in the back of the seat, right?

brown2_2.jpg

These are fed over the top, unlike the F and later they appear to be secured behind the seat though.

Is it not possible that belts do come through the seat back as per normal, and are folded up and are hanging over the back of the seat? To keep them out of the way as the pilot gets in? Not that that particular plane is going anywhere any time soon. Perhaps someone on ground fiddled with them, and pulled them out of the seat back and then hung them over the top, and the plane never flew with them in that configuration?

I'm no 109 expert, that is why I can actually get 109's built, I never get caught up in small details.

Is it not possible that belts do come through the seat back as per normal, and are folded up and are hanging over the back of the seat? To keep them out of the way as the pilot gets in? Not that that particular plane is going anywhere any time soon. Perhaps someone on ground fiddled with them, and pulled them out of the seat back and then hung them over the top, and the plane never flew with them in that configuration?

I'm no 109 expert, that is why I can actually get 109's built, I never get caught up in small details.

That's ceratinly a possibility. The standard Emil seatbelt formed kind of a "Y" where it was fed through the hole though. I'm not going back and changing mine at this point mind you, I prefer to finish models too rather than get caught up in "analysis paralysis". :jaw-dropping:

• 1 month later...

OK, back at the bench after a month's hiatus. A couple of minor disasters, dropped it and broke the antenna mast off the tail and I put a split the canopy. If you've got a big pile of masking tape you're going to wad up and throw away make sure the canopy didn't accidentally stick to it, ask me how I know this. :cheers: Sent an email to Eduard inquiring about purchasing a replacement several weeks ago and still no reply.

Paint and future applied. Jagdwaffe Vol. 2 Sec. 4 suggested a 70/02 for hashmarks and fill on the fuselage sides and 70/71 for the upper surfaces. Paint is Gunze acrylic.

2002_01010105.jpg

2002_01010103.jpg

2002_01010102.jpg

2002_01010106.jpg

Edited by The Mikester