Airfix 1:76 Matilda "Hedgehog"

Finally got this little kit finished and most impressed with it as well! A build review on Military Modelling by Robin Buckland got this little gem put to the top of the build pile!

I was a little concerned about finished colour and the reported lack of forward fenders over the track runs. However a picture found in one of my references of Hedgehog "Bull Pup" in Queensland did not have these fenders so all was well.

The colour of the preserved example at Puckapunyal did not sit right with me either so I went for a darker more appropriate colour.

For a rep-pop kit, it was a simple build with the additional Hedgehog launcher needing to have some minor surgery to allow for correct fit. Without corrective surgery the launcher would have sat too far back on the upper rear deck.

Painted using Vallejo, followed by oils washes and filtering. MIG pigments finished off the weathering.

matilda-hedgehog04a.jpg

matilda-hedgehog05a.jpg

matilda-hedgehog02a.jpg

Not bad for AU$6.95 ( in my case a raffle prize!)

:bandhead2:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

madmike,

sweet build and well done for getting the build review article done By Mr Buckland...HOW AWESOME is that!!

Symmetry and flawless finish..The Vallejo paints seem to work well on the armory..

Good work!!! :cheers::cheers:

Holmes

I wish that was the case :tease: No, you misunderstood me or my explanation was not clear. Robin's review inspired me to put the Matilda kit to the top of the pile. I did get some encouraging words from Robin though, both during and after the build!

Sorry about the mix up.

:monkeydance:

MikeJ

• 2 months later...

Lovely again Mike (all your armour builds are first class)

A question..........can this be built as a "standard" Matilda? (or did the Hedgehog tooling affect the moulds) There's one in my LHS, and I feel a Crete diorama coming on..............this would be a nice (cheap) kit to try it with. No sense in using the Tamiya for a first dio!

Cheers

Paul in NZ

Edited by Pommie Commie

Paul

Thanks for the kind words :worship:

It most assuredly can be made as a standard Matilda, though you will need to source alternative decals for it.

I believe that Archer or Bison make 1:72 decals that would look fine on the Airfix 1:72 Matilda.

An alternative might be the more espensive Italeri (Esci) Matilda.

:cheers:

MikeJ