Yes, one of may all time favorites. I'm going to sneak a couple of these in too. Luftwaffe Colours "Jagdwaffe" is just full of interesting profiles.

Downright inspirational, I'd say. Actually, this one allows me to use the kit decals.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I can't compare this with their 48th kit. I'm pretty much a 72nd guy, although the stash contains a few 32nd kits. The 72nd kit is pretty tight. Fit is really good and this kit can easily be built in a weekend. I've already built several and will be many more. It's an easy kit with many finish possibilities. It also looks really good on the shelf. I guess you could say I really like this kit.

Masked the canopy tonight. Probably will throwing some paint at it tomorrow.

You'd be assuming wrong. The decal fits really well and responds well to Mr. Mark Softer.

Japanese manufactured decals react great to Japanese decal solvents. Go figure. I know that lots of people say Tamiya and Hasegawa decals are unusable, but do they use Mr. Mark Setter, and Softer, or the new Tamiya setting solution?

Japanese manufactured decals react great to Japanese decal solvents. Go figure. I know that lots of people say Tamiya and Hasegawa decals are unusable, but do they use Mr. Mark Setter, and Softer, or the new Tamiya setting solution?

I have Mr Mark Setter, but have never used it. I regularly use Mr Mark Softer and like it a lot. Haven't used Tamiya's setting solution and can't offer any opinion. That said, I think Hasegawa and Tamiya decals have an undeserved reputation for being thick and unusable. The thickness comes from the layer of glue on the sheet. Hot water dissolves this well. The decals are also very responsive to heat. I find I often do not need to use any decal solutions at all.

I don't know how most Japanese modelers deal with Tamiya or Hasegawa decals. I've seen mention (photos really) in Japanese modeling mags showing use of decal solutions. I don't know how commonly they are used.

While this Emil is Battle of France, it uses stock Tamiya decals. I used very hot water with just a little Mr Mark Softer.

E3-12.jpg

I generally like Japanese decals, especially now that Hasegawa seems to have worked out their problem with white colors. Kit schemes tend to be well chosen, decals are generally sized properly to the kit, and registration is usually really good. Just don't expect the standard Microsol/set treatment will work well.

Edited by johnsan

Very nice looking build. I don't make much 1:72 any more, because I find the bigger models easier to do - which of course makes me appreciate a superb job even more in the small ones.

ALF

• 3 months later...

Haven't been too enthused about this build lately. When that happens I'll walk away from that build for a while. If I force the work, it looks it. Back now, but the subject aircraft no longer interests me. I don't mean the 109 just the specific aircraft. So now it's going to be from II/JG53. The paint is mostly on. It stills a red nose stripe and the wheel wells painted.

JG53-4.jpg

JG53-5.jpg

That's been happening a lot with me, Mike. I'll be really enthused over a kit, really tear into it for a bit, then poof... Interest gone. On to something else. Repeat...

So now, I'm back to this Emil. It's close enough now that I should be able to finish it soon.

JG53-6.jpg

The red stripe is Tamiya X-7 red acrylic. Stickers soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Mike.

No, it's GSI/Creos. There has been no Gunze since 2001.

Jeez. Gunze. So 20th Century. :rofl:

Wise guy! :whistle:

Finished prouduct looks great though, glad you finally got off your arse and finished it!

• 3 weeks later...