Accuracy - F-100D Trumpeter vs Monogram

There have been several threads on the Trump F-100C, all of which except for the vertical fin pretty much apply to the D as well. In my estimation, I'm not getting rid of any of my Monogram Huns. It will still build into a nicer looking Hun than any Trumpeter kit.

J

Six posts in guys, cut him some slack.

Scimitar, welcome to ARC!

There is no way of knowing, but the trumpeter accuracy debate generally promotes fisticuffs, name calling and melted plastic sprues amongst the gang here. Think of it as paper verses plastic in the environmental crowd and you get the general idea

BTW guys like Jennings and Madman are great guys and give great points, advice and opinions, it is just anytime the word Trumpeter comes up, people wonder if someone is just trying to start something.

Again, welcome to the madhouse that is ARC, and I hope you enjoy your stay!

BTW, go monogram...

(runs and ducks for cover!)

OK, I am in for it today...

I think (my wife disagrees with that statement) that the old Monogram kit is still the best in shape and accuracy. Re-scribe it and you will be happy with the end result.

If you don't feel like scribing and can do a little (or a LOT, if you want it accurate) correction work, get the Trump kit.

Cheers,

Harold

Six posts in guys, cut him some slack.

My post was directed more at the response to Scimitar and not the initial post. I was unclear and apologize for being so! Although it is a subject that has been beaten to death, it was a legitimate question nonetheless!

Edited by madmanrick

Hi Will and welcome to ARC!

I don't do 1/48, I'm into 1/32 and I have the Trumpy 1/32 F-100D.

I've been discussing it with a few other guys and and there are a few

shape issues with that kit. The stance is funny. F-100's sit a little

tail-low on the ground. The problem most likely comes from both the

main gear wheels being too large in diameter and the main gear legs

being a little too long. The underwing fuel tanks are wrong, as is the

nose. The wings are too thin.

I'm telling you about issues with the 1/32 kit, because when releasing

a subject in multiple scales, Trumpeter just directly re-scales, warts

and all. Ther's a very good chance the 1/48 kit has these issues, and

possibly others.

If you want my opinion, I'd stick with that old Monogram kit.

- Patrick

There have been several threads on the Trump F-100C, all of which except for the vertical fin pretty much apply to the D as well. In my estimation, I'm not getting rid of any of my Monogram Huns. It will still build into a nicer looking Hun than any Trumpeter kit.

J

I have the Monogram F-100D and am not afraid to reescribe it. My concern is on dimensional accuracy - Is the Trumpeter kit as accurate? I know about the bottom of the intake but is there anything else to be aware of?

Thanks in Advance

Will

Hi Will,

In a word, no, the Trump kit is somewhat of a mutant, especially the F-100C. The Monogram kit, old as it is, is far more accurate. It has a few things on it that would not be appropriate for certain periods in the Hun's life, but other than its having 9 slat rails instead of 10, it's spot on. It has the wider tail fairing fitted to RHAWS-equipped jets, as well as the azimuth display on top of the left side of the glare shield, but its missing the antenna fairing under the chin. Trump's D has the original, narrow fairing, plus it (sort of) has the single-piece inboard main gear doors found on early F-100Ds (what you'd find on Ds operated by foreign air forces), and the speed brake with the narrow cutout.

If you leave the wings off of the Monogram kit and cut off the stabs, it's a lot easier to put the fuselage together and the seams aren't nearly as bad. The gap in the wing is too narrow, so it pulls the upper fuselage half's sides in and cause most of the annoying seams.

Do a search here for F-100C quick look, or something like that. There is a long discussion about the shape errors that would apply to the D kit, too. Just ignore my "The tail is wrong, no... the tail is right, no, wait, the tail is wrong,..." ranting. The tail is wrong. :)

There's a lot more I can send you if you want to contact me off board. Basically, if you want a relatively easy build, that looks like an F-100 from four or five feet, go with Trumpeter. If you want the most accurate F-100 model you can build, in any scale, start with the Monogram kit. Then you can have an accurate D, do a DIY C conversion (the two resin C onversions had some of the same problems the Trump C has), or you can use a War Eagle/Black Robinz vacuform or Fox 3 Studios or C&H resin F-100F conversion.

HTH.

Ben

Thanks guys for all the advice - exactly what I was looking for. Monogram it is and I plan to go to town on this one. I will make the D as a late 60's Vietnam based airframe. So far I have the Legend set (I understand it has issues itself, particularly the seat), the Eduard etched set, plus the photoetch from the hi tech version of the kit. Anything else out there worth getting?

Will keep you posted.

Will

I will make the D as a late 60's Vietnam based airframe. So far I have the Legend set (I understand it has issues itself, particularly the seat), the Eduard etched set, plus the photoetch from the hi tech version of the kit. Anything else out there worth getting?

If you are doing a late '60's Hun you are going to want to replace the wings tanks included in the Monogram kit. They are the older style 275 gallon tanks and by the late '60's had been replaced with the 335 gal. tanks. Harold (of AMS Resin (his stuff is TOP notch and HIGHLY recommended)) is working on some 335's right now and they should be ready soon. Here is his linky:

AMS Resin

Also MidTenn Hobbies distributes AMS products and Jack is also a good chap and his service is comparable to Sprue Bros!:

MidTenn Hobbies

HTH and welcome aboard mate!

If you are doing a late '60's Hun you are going to want to replace the wings tanks included in the Monogram kit. They are the older style 275 gallon tanks and by the late '60's had been replaced with the 335 gal. tanks. Harold (of AMS Resin (his stuff is TOP notch and HIGHLY recommended)) is working on some 335's right now and they should be ready soon. Here is his linky:

AMS Resin

Also MidTenn Hobbies distributes AMS products and Jack is also a good chap and his service is comparable to Sprue Bros!:

MidTenn Hobbies

HTH and welcome aboard mate!

WOW..thanks for the nice comments.

The tanks are done. I am sending a batch of stuff on Monday.

The 335s are just the 275s with a 28 inch plug added to the break just forward of the pylon. Harold's noses are just the thing for this. I'll second Rick's comments about Harold and Jack.

Will, I've found that the slat rails in the Eduard set are too flimsy to be very useful. The afterburner details are too small in diameter to be of any use, too. The cockpit details are great, and the instrument panel is a good replacement for the Legend panel. One thing I didn't mention was Legend has an afterburner nozzle replacement that's an improvement over the kit part. It's not full depth, but looks good. Aires has a gorgeous full-depth afterburner section for the Monogram kit. Nobody makes a full intake, and the short one Legend makes doesn't fit.

Here's a walk around of an F-100F that has the RHAWS antennae on the chin and tail:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spi...100f_walk_1.htm

These two sites also have a ton of Vietnam-era F-100 pics:

http://www.f-100.org/hun.shtml

http://www.supersabre.com/

More later. The dog wants to go out.

Cheers!

Ben

No problem guys, the praise is well-earned and I'm happy to share my thoughts! We as humans are quick to complain when something isn't the way we want or expect it to be, but never as quick to praise the good when we find it. Cheers!