Ugh writing a paper...

Writing a paper titled "Professional and Personal Ethics and the Pathway to Licensure" for my masters course.

I would much rather be wresting my AMT B-52 H or a Mach II kit right now.

Just venting, thank you , now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

The worst is citation checking. Somehow or another I always rush head of my footnote construction, and since I'm very careful about proper citation, end up spending an enormous amount of time having to go back and properly finish 'em. It's quite like finishing an F-4, but only having assembled one or two Mk 82s of an entire 12, so that a long, miserable mess of assembly, sanding, and painting awaits me to arm the thing.

Just remember, when the height of all the papers you wrote equals your height with upstretched arms, and the weight of all the papers equals twice your own weight, you will have fulfilled the minimum course requirements for graduation. Cheers, Brian - holder of 3 university degrees and still unlettered.

No, the worst is APA formatting. Far and away.

Listen, if you allow a bunch of pseudo-scientists to establish your format style, well, then you have yourselves to blame, I think. We historians hail back to Turabian, Goddess of Format, who sometime in the murkiest primordial eons of early human civilization, in her Infinite Grace handed down the Right and Proper Way to format and cite. This was, as the TomeSaga tells us, at Chicago. Hence the Chicago Manual of Style (praise be! praise be...!) From the TomeSaga:

Lo, and then Ragthar traveled to Chicago, battling along the way

the dreaded five-horned Hamsters of Cleveland,

the infamous Lemur-Ghouls of South Bend,

and a terrible in-flight meal on the leg into O'Hare,

Ragthar ascended Mount Universitor,

to the Goddess Turabian's Temple.

There Ragthar presented the Sacred Thesis of Pröhnangan

And said upon to the Goddess,

"How Must I cite Public Utilities Commission Decisions?

They're essentially court cases, right?

But they don't seem to use the same kind

of Title system. What gives?"

"Anon, Ragthar, Scholar of Electric Power Politics,"

Boomed Goddess Turabian,"This, and all other citation questions,

and borders and page numbers as well, is all covered in this volume!

Just ignore the stuff about typesetting. That's for printing companies."

And Ragthar took the very first edition (We're up to fifteenth now, I think) back to the people.

I just finished preparing three presentations for a medical conference. I haven't presented at a conference for a few years and was just struggling to get them done. I was dreaming of doing anything but writing and researching the lectures. I had to hide all my modeling magazines because I would waste time looking at them instead of preparing the lectures. I feel you're pain, so stop reading this post and go get done! :bandhead2:

Listen, if you allow a bunch of pseudo-scientists to establish your format style, well, then you have yourselves to blame, I think. We historians hail back to Turabian, Goddess of Format, who sometime in the murkiest primordial eons of early human civilization, in her Infinite Grace handed down the Right and Proper Way to format and cite. This was, as the TomeSaga tells us, at Chicago. Hence the Chicago Manual of Style (praise be! praise be...!) From the TomeSaga

I dunno Fish, weren't you the one who previously warned that many a civilization was doomed to failure by scorning the mighty MLA?

For those of you embarking on some sort of school program wherein you've got lots of research to do, remember Zotero. It's a browser plug-in for firefox that helps you store, organize, and cite sources, with a lot of nifty one-click ways to bring sources in. I'm not in any way affiliated with them (They are, or were funded by one of the Mellon foundations, I think), but I admit it's a nice tool. Honestly, it's the only reason I keep Firefox around any more, as for everything else I use Google's Chrome.

Listen, if you allow a bunch of pseudo-scientists to establish your format style, well, then you have yourselves to blame, I think. We historians hail back to Turabian, Goddess of Format, who sometime in the murkiest primordial eons of early human civilization, in her Infinite Grace handed down the Right and Proper Way to format and cite. This was, as the TomeSaga tells us, at Chicago. Hence the Chicago Manual of Style (praise be! praise be...!) From the TomeSaga:

And Ragthar took the very first edition (We're up to fifteenth now, I think) back to the people.

All hail Ms. Kate (Turabian)!!!

Where did you find that origin of the holy text? that was great!

BTW, I'm just the opposite on my citations. I'm usually so paranoid of accidental plagiarism that I and overly thorough while I'm writing. My advisor for my MA actually told me to use LESS footnotes. hahaha

John

Listen, if you allow a bunch of pseudo-scientists to establish your format style, well, then you have yourselves to blame, I think. We historians hail back to Turabian, Goddess of Format, who sometime in the murkiest primordial eons of early human civilization, in her Infinite Grace handed down the Right and Proper Way to format and cite. This was, as the TomeSaga tells us, at Chicago. Hence the Chicago Manual of Style (praise be! praise be...!)

I wish I had this quote 15 years ago, as I was typing up my wife's papers for Nursing school. The number of times I insisted that the citation was "wrong" cannot be counted.

Grant, whose MA thesis was formated using the only true and proper style.

All hail Ms. Kate (Turabian)!!!

Where did you find that origin of the holy text? that was great!

BTW, I'm just the opposite on my citations. I'm usually so paranoid of accidental plagiarism that I and overly thorough while I'm writing. My advisor for my MA actually told me to use LESS footnotes. hahaha

John

When writing, I tag everything with a crude footnote, usually the short citation cut-pasted from my notes, but I never write anything without attaching something to it. I, too am terrified of plagiarism or not being able to call up a source if questioned on it. By running ahead, I mean I don't bother formatting the resultant notes right away, so the unfinished note is something like:

24MAR15 GT: “Subway Bills Held Up For A Conference†ERJ 68-4 24JUL26 126. "How to Care for the Paving Charge,"

Which will be:

“Subway Bills Held Up For A Conference,†Pittsburgh Gazette-Times, 24 March 1915; “How to Care for the Paving Charge,†Electric Railway Journal 68, No. 4 (24 July 1926): 126.

This does have the advantage of forcing me to review every %&$*($# note, as painful as it is. I also have a tendency to bombard a point with multiple sources, which might be more possible with twentieth century history, so there's little room for question. So I've got, say, a formal report to public officials, then their meeting minutes, then several newspaper accounts, then an article from an engineering journal, and so on; I've been told to cool down a bit on this, but it's sort of a mania with me anyway; just yesterday I decided I had enough sources to "know" something fairly big, enough that I'm willing to contact the current public bureau and bother them to look for engineering drawings. I think journalists are told they need like what, two sources for corroboration? Posers.

I dunno Fish, weren't you the one who previously warned that many a civilization was doomed to failure by scorning the mighty MLA?

There's still time! We can take the power back! Fight the machine!

What's interesting is challenging the style manual. Okay, so I get how to cite all these tidy, published sources. But what do I do with an inter-office memo scribbled on the back of accounting graph paper? How about a bus schedule? How do I cite a real machine, alive, well, and in leisurely retirement still operating at a museum?

(History of Technology is awesome!)

Edited by Fishwelding