F/A-18 Pilot painting/detailing

Aloha,

Okay, this is going to sound crazy but here's what I do as far as techniques for painting pilot figures...

Take the molded together head, helmet, mask and dremal or hand drill the head out. Depending on what you want to do you can leave the mask & visor intact or dremal them away as well. Hollow the helmet out so it fits whatever bare head you end up going with (say from a Hase ground crew set or other 48th scale source), then paint both separately. Paint up the body, LS equipment, and harness detail then fit to the seat... Don't forget to strap him/her in! Add the painted head, don the helmet & detail (add chin strap, visor, etc.) and finally, hang or don the mask. As far a the visor goes you can dremal it away as mentioned earlier or leave it in place (what I normally do). You can even go so far as heat-forming a clear example by taking thin clear styrene from a pack of batteries, heating it up and forming it over the helmet. Cut the form out, tint with smoke or high-contrast amber and attach. Going back to the mask... Hose it up, mask end hanging from the harness (USN style) or installed, hose end going somewhere towards the left/ lower left of the torso harness/vest (again USN style). Pretty sure that's were the mini-regulator is located... USN crew dogs can pass along a lot better gouge I'm sure.

Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't, may take a little extra time but the results can be quite striking & far more convincing! I'm about to start on a big E model superbug, I'll post a few images of the pilot figure once I get that far (if I get that far ;) ). Again it's really not that hard to do and well worth the results, give it a try :D

HTH a little,

Ahui hou :cheers:

Mark

Awesome guys! so brushing is the way to go, now one last question then ill go and model...I PROMISE :D On the dude's helmet, im going to paint it gloss white, along with his visor of gloss black, is there a trick or tip or something to paint that on there as well? is there a specific paint everyone uses? i just want to make it look smooth and clean. Thanks guys, REALLY apreciate the help :cheers: ;)

• 1 year later...

G'Day Pete,

Do you know if your article has been moved? The URL doesn't seem to work any more...

I'd love to have a look - I make a lot of in flight models, and thought I'd like to pop some pilots in them :-)

Cheers!

Here is an article I wrote a few years ago, based on the Hornet pilot from Hasagawa

http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt130_...nman/tnt130.htm

HTH

Pete

Just how did you find that out, the Inquirer wants to know?????

I found it out when we dressed the dummy pilots for the CF-5 and CF-18 in the aircraft park in Cold Lake. Both have a g-string on under their flight suits.