I've just been given a conversion to update the 1/72 Hasegawa HH-60D to the current HH-60G configuration, but searching on the 'net hasn't revealed a lot of information.

Can anyone clarify the physical difference between the MH-60G and the HH-60G, and also explain which bits and pieces have been added over the years?

I plan to build 2 - one in "current" configuration and another in the brown scheme from Desert Storm, so all help will be gratefully received - I would also like to post whatever information I receie as an article on the USAF SIG website if that's OK?!

Chris

The only major differenc between the HH-60G and the MH-60G is the name, based on who they fell under. HH-60G under big AF and MH-60G under AFSOC. The aircraft has gone through many evolutions of different antenni, postions of nose radar, position and types of guns carried, and other smaller features over the years. Depending on what year you want to depict will determine what configuration the aircraft is in. Do a search for MH-60G and HH-60G here and you will come up with lots of information.

Gino drew faster!

Anyhow this is what I was about to post:

MH is a "special operations" helicopter while HH is a rescue helicopter, so the MH-60G and the HH-60G are exactly the same helicopter. What changes might be some interior and/or exterior equipment.

The arrangement of equipment and weapons also depends on the timeframe you want to depict your model in.

HTH

Edited by Avus

As Gino and Klaus have said, the only major difference between the MH and HH-60G is the name. The current grey Pave Hawks with the external guns and ammo bins are all HH-60G's.

As for the HH-60D, it was the forerunner/prototype/development model for the MH/HH-60G. The only major physical difference I am led to believe (aside from changes in various avionics, antennas etc. over the years) is that the -60D did not have HIRSS, whereas the the -60G does. Don't quote me on this, though, I'm not 100% sure :whistle:

Tom

Quick question - what about the external stores pylon - this was on the HH-60D but not on the 'Gs?

The ESSS wings are not used on HH/MH-60Gs. The HH-60D tested an upswept ESSS wing, but it was not accepted for use.

The best bet to model them would be to find a couple pics of the helos you want to do, then build them the same as the pics. There have just been too many changes and different configurations to clearly articulate them all here. There are still old and new configurations flying together as well. It all depends on when the helo last went in for a Depot rebuild as to what features it has on it.

Once again, many thanks! I'm leaning towards a Lakenheath bird at present - I will have to pick one with some decent pics and stick to it!

As for pics, I will do what I can - I will be building the kit as an article for the USAF SIG website anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
I've just been given a conversion to update the 1/72 Hasegawa HH-60D to the current HH-60G configuration, but searching on the 'net hasn't revealed a lot of information.

Can anyone clarify the physical difference between the MH-60G and the HH-60G, and also explain which bits and pieces have been added over the years?

I plan to build 2 - one in "current" configuration and another in the brown scheme from Desert Storm, so all help will be gratefully received - I would also like to post whatever information I receie as an article on the USAF SIG website if that's OK?!

Chris

Normally I sit in a corner and color , :whistle: but when it comes to HH-60G I had to add my two cents. The HH-60D Night Hawk program had problems and cost overruns , so it was cancelled. It was said the USAF then settled for a less capable version which it dubbed the HH-60G. The HH-60G differed from the original MH-60G because it lacked FLIR ball/ turret and ESSS. The 55th SOS also had the doppler color radar moved from the port side of the nose to center nose. Eventually all the MH-60G were transfered to Air Combat Command to be with it's CSAR counterparts the HH-60G. Soon all the upgrades became standard in all versions and the MH-60Gs became the HH-60G. If you happen to be at any Nellis AFB air shows you will see both versions on the ranp. :thumbsup: