I'm In with a Matchbox Me-110C - ***Finnished***

Having decided to can the Heinkel I found this in the stash:

PK115.jpg

You have to love those funky colours.

I was saving it for the next Machbox Madness GB but I don't see it in the calender so one group build is as good as another, right? I will be doing the sharks mouth version of ZG76.

PK-115-5-02.jpg

I know there are better examples of the 110 out there but I am commited to reducing my stash this year and it should be a challenge getting this kit to look good.

I hope to start the build in a couple of weeks after doing a bit more research.

Edited by old_Tonto
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been doing a little research, sorting out colours and the like. I will need to order some paints as I don't usually do Nazi types.

Models001.jpg

The Matchbox colour plate on the back of the box shows an all over green scheme but my research indicates that ZG76 aircraft of this time should wear a splinter pattern of RLM 70\71 over RLM 65 so this is what I will do.

If any of you Luftwaffe experts out there disagree please let me know. So, onto the cockpit:

Models004.jpg

The canopy is thick but clear so I will give it a few coats of Klear and start the masking - that should be a project in itself! :worship:

The cockpit is sparsely populated with only the seats and a big lump in the middle of the floor. Whilst I admit that I am no experten (did you see what I did there? :worship: ) I think something more subtle should be there. Still, as I am not sure what will be visible through the canopy I will leave it and try to give the impression of detail - fool the eye someone told me. The side walls are completely devoid of detail so I will install some ribbing, black boxes & wiring. Dry brush the whole lot, add the pilots and I think I will get away with it.

So my first question is what colour is the interior on 1940 German fighters?

Edited by old_Tonto
Your ZG76 subject was most likely 70/71/65.

Thanks for that Johnsan. I will go with those colours then. Am I right in thinking the interior colour is RLM 02?

Up the road in Washington Stephen, it's a small world!

Thanks for that Johnsan. I will go with those colours then. Am I right in thinking the interior colour is RLM 02?

Up the road in Washington Stephen, it's a small world!

Yes sir, for a "C" model you should be right with an 02 interior.

hth

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I admire your decision to use an older and simpler kit that some modellers would turn their noses up at. Creating a model with an acceptable level of detail will be a challenge but it will ultimately be more satisfying. You're proving that there's value in that old plastic.

rob

I admire your decision to use an older and simpler kit that some modellers would turn their noses up at. Creating a model with an acceptable level of detail will be a challenge but it will ultimately be more satisfying. You're proving that there's value in that old plastic.

rob

Thanks for the kind words Rob. I do get a perverse sence of satisfaction from completeing an old kit and achieving a decent finish but that of course is the trick! It's going to be a challenge but I am pressing on with it and lets see how it turns out.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been over a month since I touched a model so last night I got stuck into it. I decided to add some scratch detail to the interior as the kit simply presents two seats & a big lump in the middle of the floor! This is not something I would usually attemp but the 110 has a big green house of a canopy so I added some MG's & magazines, ribbing, black boxes & the crew, Otto & Kurt (sounds like an eighties electro pop combo!).

Progress so far:

Models009.jpg

SS851742.jpg

SS851740.jpg

SS851741.jpg

I'm not sure how much of this will be visible through the rather thick transparency though. I have now masked off - that took a while!

SS851774.jpg

I have joined the fuselage halves, lots of clamping was needed & the crew figures are going in.

SS851782.jpg

The fit is pretty poor as would be expected for a kit of its age but nothing a little filler won't fix.

SS851777.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the pictures. Since these were taken I have attached the canopy - decent fit and given the framework a coat of Xtracylix RLM02.

Hopefully the real construction can start now.

I hope you enjoyed your left versus right wrestling match with the fuselage. Keep up the good work.

It was a bit of a struggle but I am getting there. In the end I removed the locating pins as the were hindering rather than helping.

Models005-1.jpg

Lots of filler & sanding, filling & sanding again etc, etc but the overall shape is spot on acording to the plans I have (of course there is no guarentee that the plans are correct!) The engine cowls have grand canyon sized lines where the halves join so I will attach them last after I have given then a stiff talking to. :cheers:

Models001-1.jpg

The nose cone is wider than the fuselage so more filler and sanding required, at least I am getting through a tube of Squadron green putty that needs using up. The nose also has a dimple reminiscent of kirk Douglas. I assume this is a defect & not a feature of the 110, it's been filled & sanded now.

My Xtracrylix paint has arrived to so tomorrow I will get a final (hopefully :thumbsup:) coat of primer on & start laying down some colour.

Looking good Old Tonto.

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

Cheers Andrew. I am currently struggling to find images of the camo pattern. I know I should have done the research first. :lol:

Hopefully more to follow soon.

Are you looking for the 70/71 splinter pattern? I can help, let me know what you need.

Yep that's exactly what I am after. Any help would be appreciated as the project is currently grounded without this info.

• 2 weeks later...