Carrier based aircrafts USN

Spent many of launch cycles sitting behind a line of Hornets and Tomcats awaiting our turn at the cat... and we felt that if we had a clear deck and about 40 knots wind over the deck...the mighty S-3 could deck run and take off.

Of course the flight deck handlers snapped us out of our day dreaming and we reluctantly spread our wings and headed for the cat shuttle for the best ride of your life.

Cheers

ATIS

I was just wonder if modern 1980+ USN planes could take off without the use of the catapult esp the F-14 and F-18.

Sure they can. One time, at any rate. However, without the catapult, the unassisted flight range is not terribly impressive.

Jimmie Doolittle did it with 16 B-25s back in '42, but that is quite different from modern jets. A modern jet figher starting clear back at the fan tail probably wouldn't get to minimum stall speed before reaching the bow, even with 30-40 knots wind over the deck factored in.

Darwin

Got it...and with no intent of starting a whats better argument...wondering why the Russian jets can do it with a ramp?

Does the ramp really much that much of a difference?

Is the takeoff stip longer on Russian carriers?

Better thrust vs weight ratio?

Yes, but not a good as a catapult especially at higher weights, can't launch as fast, difficult to do simultaneous launch/recovery (longer deck run...the cat is 250') and has got to be damned disorienting at night or with some of the >100' ceillings I've launched into.

HTH

Spongebob

woa!!! now that's something i have not seen ever before.

did they actually do any actual operational landings and take offs from carriers?

BTW, Motoko is still quite the looker.

Got it...and with no intent of starting a whats better argument...wondering why the Russian jets can do it with a ramp?

Is the takeoff stip longer on Russian carriers?

Better thrust vs weight ratio?

On the Kuznetsov, the Su-33 is held back by a set of 'fingers' that rise up from the deck in front of the mainwheels.

This allows the jet engines to spool up on full afterburner - before being released.

There are 3 takeoff runs on Kuznetsov - 1 & 2 at the bow with a run of 105m and another on the port side further back with a run over the bow ramp of 180m.

All 3 positions have 'fingers' and blast shields.

Don't forget that as well as the powerful Su-33 with its high thrust-to-weight ratio, the air wing also operates the Su-25UTG two-seat trainer

And that isn't noted for its sparkling acceleration :thumbsup:

There are photos of the Su-33 taking off from the 'short' run over the ramp with the carrier at anchor.

Ken

On the Coral Sea we had C-1s do non-catapult assisted launches if there weren't too many A/C spotted aft and they could get a good run at the angle. I can't remember seeing one launch that way off the bow but then I only remember maybe two off the angle. The C-1s didn't come with us into the I/O either. There was no land station that they could reach from Gonzo. We got our mail via US-3As from Diego Garcia.

Oops, I forgot about the C-2s. We had a couple of them too. I think they may have replaced the C-1s by the time we hit WestPac.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
U-2s have done it as well!

From a carrier? really? let's hear about this.

Certainly:

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq77-1.htm

http://ussamerica-museumfoundation.org/U2Plane/u2.html

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheet...eet.asp?id=9171

http://www.ifma-austin.org/facs/U2_Sea.htm

There's lots more out there, including an article that was in World Air Power Journal or IAPR....can't remember which, and I'm nowhere near my books at the moment. Pretty interesting stuff.

On the Coral Sea we had C-1s do non-catapult assisted launches if there weren't too many A/C spotted aft and they could get a good run at the angle. I can't remember seeing one launch that way off the bow but then I only remember maybe two off the angle. The C-1s didn't come with us into the I/O either. There was no land station that they could reach from Gonzo. We got our mail via US-3As from Diego Garcia.

Oops, I forgot about the C-2s. We had a couple of them too. I think they may have replaced the C-1s by the time we hit WestPac.

This look familiar?

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s6.jpg

s7.jpg

This look familiar?

Yes! Since we didn't have any regular S-3s on board, the sound of one of those in the break pretty much stopped any non-essential work in progress as we waited for "Mail call, mail call..." We were grumpy if it ended up being an A-6 main landing gear strut or junketing congressman coming on board.