UK Controlled Airspace Shutdown

Never seen such a blue sky.. not even one contrail, nor a plane in the distance approaching Schiphol.. :worship:

It feels like the WORLD has come to a grinding halt

.......it is so eeerie in the blue skies here....

SO blinking QUIET! :worship:

It's the same here in Suffolk. A totally blue sky, no haze, not a cloud in sight, no contrails - weird! The army at Wattisham just up the road have shut down, although I gather the co-located SAR Sea Kings will launch if required. No inbound US traffic to Mildenhall/Lakenheath either as well as nothing commercial for Stansted. You can bet on another saturday when I want to do a photography trip to Mildenhall it'll be back to cloud and rain!

Gary

It's the same here in Suffolk. A totally blue sky, no haze, not a cloud in sight, no contrails - weird! The army at Wattisham just up the road have shut down, although I gather the co-located SAR Sea Kings will launch if required. No inbound US traffic to Mildenhall/Lakenheath either as well as nothing commercial for Stansted. You can bet on another saturday when I want to do a photography trip to Mildenhall it'll be back to cloud and rain!

Gary

According to a Channel 4 documentry (IIRC??) about climate change etc.......

In the three days after 911 (when all flights were banned over the US), the amount of sunshine reaching the ground increased by a measurable amount.

So - global warming INCREASED due to lack of flights.... :)

(That doesn't mean that flights and pollution are a good thing BTW....)

Ken

I live near the M4 - between Swindon & Bristol..... in darkest rural Wiltshire...

I went out for a walk earlier - and saw a Hughes 500 (or MD - whatever they call it these days) - flying low going east.

Then soon after - a Beech King Air - again low, going east.

It's the only activity I've seen since last Thursday.

I'm below the main westerly airliners route - and the skies are eerily quiet.... no noise, no contrails :woot.gif:

Nothing from nearby RAF Lyneham....

Ken

I just got an email from a friend in the UK....

Said that John Cleese paid 3000 pounds for a taxi ride from

Oslo to Brussels so he could catch the Eurostar from there.

Wonder what he tipped the driver? :woot.gif:

...to add to that 7 businees men paid a Taxi firm in NORTHAMTON,UK £1200 for the trip to GENEVA as the guys had a meeting; then had to get to another one in PORTUGAL..

THE TAXI FIRM was quoted as saying " we are extremely delighted although we were rather surprised and it was an unusual request !"

edit:even te Air Ambulance and FORCE helicopters have been grounded....

Edited by HOLMES
I live near the M4 - between Swindon & Bristol..... in darkest rural Wiltshire...

I went out for a walk earlier - and saw a Hughes 500 (or MD - whatever they call it these days) - flying low going east.

Then soon after - a Beech King Air - again low, going east.

It's the only activity I've seen since last Thursday.

I'm below the main westerly airliners route - and the skies are eerily quiet.... no noise, no contrails :woot.gif:

Nothing from nearby RAF Lyneham....

Ken

Ken, that's what it was like here after 9/11/2001 ...

It was the first time in my lifetime that I could remember nothing flying overhead ... at all ...

...to add to that 7 businees men paid a Taxi firm in NORTHAMTON,UK £1200 for the trip to GENEVA as the guys had a meeting; then had to get to another one in PORTUGAL..

THE TAXI FIRM was quoted as saying " we are extremely delighted although we were rather surprised and it was an unusual request !"

edit:even te Air Ambulance and FORCE helicopters have been grounded....

Well, I guess when you have to be there ... :bandhead2:

Gregg

Ken, that's what it was like here after 9/11/2001 ...

It was the first time in my lifetime that I could remember nothing flying overhead ... at all ...

Well, I guess when you have to be there ... :woot.gif:

Gregg

I wonder if Mr Al Gore is thinking " Ah you see this is what I meant by cutting down on carbon footprint !"

Guess he may be the only one NOT missing the contrails etc...

I wonder if Mr Al Gore is thinking " Ah you see this is what I meant by cutting down on carbon footprint !"

Guess he may be the only one NOT missing the contrails etc...

Meh, he makess his own with his private Biz Jet ... :woot.gif:

I heard scientists say that this eruption may cause some global cooling though ...

Gregg

How much cr*p is this volcano putting into the atmosphere ???

And - is it a different kinf of cr*p that all those airliners would be putting into the atmosphere.

In other words - is there a net saving here ??? - or a net gain in pollution ???

Ken