UK Controlled Airspace Shutdown

Strewth, what altitude is this ash cloud coming over at?

I'm on the N.Norfolk cost facing due N, I presume I can expect to have some of this deposit itself on the windows next time it rains...

Belgian airspace closed - looks like the rest of northern Europe to follow.

Time to declare an interest - my wife and mother-in-law are waiting at Tel Aviv airport for their flight home - looks like they'll have an extended break.

Paris is also closed now. And donot forget all those people who wanted to go somewhere today. I myself wanted to fly from Torgu Mures (Romania) via Budapest to Amsterdam. CANCELLED. May be tomorrow. Now I am home and OK, but for 30 hours on an airfield, crowded?

Further, I just read that it could last two days or more.

Indeed: we want cash from Iceland not ash.

I hope everithing is OK in monday, when I'm traveling to London and to Dagenham for busines trip...

I was hoping to se Handon RAF museum... If there will be flights..

BBC NEWS stated that the flghts have been suspened till 07:00 hrs tomorrow,

but as a mere spectator I can't see that happeneing as the Volcano is still throwing up ash...

I hope for you all that are flying and catching connecting flights that it gets back to normal soon..

{ the sunset will be spectacular if you have sunny weather near you !}

Satellite images from today, ash plume appears to move SE across North Sea, heading towards north coast of Germany and Frisian Islands area, apparently some ash fall on Shetland Islands, but looking at these satellite images, it looks unlikely to make mainland UK, and will probably deposit itself somewhere in the North Sea?

Satellite Images

On several airports they are masking all openings of the unprotected aircraft on platforms. I saw pictures of a Transavia 737-800 and a KLM cityhopper Fokker 70 with all their air vents, static ports and pitot tubes completely masked off. It seems they expect the ash to descend :unsure:

Edited by TheFlyingDutchman

Hey Ken

We don't have much cash these days but plenty of ash. But I recon that's not the same thing?! :thumbsup: :)

Here are some pictures from the erouptin on Fimmvörðuháls I took three weeks ago. Tomorrow or on Saturday I'll put in some pictures I took over the Easter weekend of what was then a new crater.

Here you can see live video of the eruption. Well in the daylight.

They are expecting northerly winds over and after the weekend so that may change things.

TheFlyingDutchman: Yes this is a small eruption compared if Katla showes her big teeth!

Grétar W. G. :wave:

Edited by GretarBill

Its a case of Mother nature 1 - Airtravel 0

Airspace closed:

Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark ,Estonia (until at least 0000 GMT Saturday), Finland (all commercial flights grounded) ,Hungary, Latvia, Netherlands, Slovakia, Switzerland

Partial closures:

Austria, France (northern airspace, with Paris airports closed until 1200 GMT Saturday), Germany (most airports closed), Italy (northern airspace closed until 1200 GMT Saturday), Lithuania (air traffic control leaving decision to fly to individual companies), Norway (limited flights in north), Poland, Republic of Ireland (most airspace opened Friday), Sweden (northern airspace opened Friday), UK (some restrictions lifted)

They are saying this is the biggest ever disruption of civil airtraffic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8626505.stm

Julien

Hey Ken

We don't have much cash these days but plenty of ash. But I recon that's not the same thing?! :worship::pray:

Here are some pictures from the erouptin on Fimmvörðuháls I took three weeks ago. Tomorrow or on Saturday I'll put in some pictures I took over the Easter weekend of what was then a new crater.

Here you can see live video of the eruption. Well in the daylight.

They are expecting northerly winds over and after the weekend so that may change things.

TheFlyingDutchman: Yes this is a small eruption compared if Katla showes her big teeth!

Grétar W. G. :pray:

They mentioned on NBC news that history has shown that Katla usually erupts after this one does and the experts in Iceland say there is a good chance Katla will show her teeth.