Famous "Snort" Snodgrass F-14A carrier fly-by....

Hello all,

Here is my latest in-flight build. I'm moving way outside my comfort zome on this one so it should be interesting.

I will be using the Hasegawa F-14A 1/48 kit and FCM VF-33 Starfighter declas for this project. It will be mounted on a 16 x 13" wooden base with water created by a gel medium. I will also to add the deck and LSO platform in the corner with a few standing crew members as seen in the image.

I didn't want to bore you all with the intial basic HAS Tomcat build since it's pretty straight forward so here is my current progress.

Here is the famous image taken of Dale "Snort" Snodgrass making his famous fly-by in a VF-33 jet for a cruise demo in 1988. Other than the image, there is very limited information regarding the aircracft flown and what upgrades it may have had at the time of the flight. A little artistic interpretation should get me pretty close. If any one has any information or additional images of the jet I would greatly appreciate your input or direction.

snort-2.jpg

This is my scale mock-up of the display using the 1/48 Tomcat on the 16 x 13" base. It stands about 17 1/2" tall.

DSC_1514.jpg

DSC_1515.jpg

Detail added to the bypass air ducts and heat exchanger exhausts vents...

DSC_1534.jpg

DSC_1535.jpg

Wing seal plates removed and replaced with cut styrene...

DSC_1539.jpg

Air conditioning fans added behind new grates made from the aerator of a sink faucet...

DSC_1540.jpg

DSC_1541.jpg

Kit IP coamings filed and reshaped. Covers replaced with blue painters tape coated with CA glue. Various additions added with strip styrene...

DSC_1547.jpg

DSC_1550.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

All your other builds have been exceptional... I'm sure this will be no different!! :)

Is the Tomcat's wing going to be touching the water in order to hold it in place, or are you doing to use some kind of pole to mount it??

Tom

WOW..this is going to be insane! Seriously. How do you build so fast is what I want to know. VF-33 is one of the coolest squadrons too! I believe the guy with his hands behind his back in the foreground is Admiral Jay bird Johnson. Epic picture and this is going to be one EPIC diorama!

I just happen to have pictures of VF-33 low viz jets from 1987 if that helps....

It'll take a few days to dig through the stack of prints but should be able to get them scanned by early May.

Also have a good buddy who flew in -33 from 87-89. I was just going through some of his cruise shots a few months back!

Of the top of my head- jets were overall dark ghost gray 36320 with all euro gray markings 35237. TCS pods but I don't remember them having the tail/glove vane ECM upgrades. While on workups and cruise, TCS had the optics. (they didn't have enough lens units back then so cruise squadrons got them and shore based squadrons had the 'bullet' ballast.

Brian

I just happen to have pictures of VF-33 low viz jets from 1987 if that helps....

It'll take a few days to dig through the stack of prints but should be able to get them scanned by early May.

Also have a good buddy who flew in -33 from 87-89. I was just going through some of his cruise shots a few months back!

Of the top of my head- jets were overall dark ghost gray 36320 with all euro gray markings 35237. TCS pods but I don't remember them having the tail/glove vane ECM upgrades. While on workups and cruise, TCS had the optics. (they didn't have enough lens units back then so cruise squadrons got them and shore based squadrons had the 'bullet' ballast.

Brian

Brian,

Thanks for anything you can provide. VF-33 is an elusive squadron. There just is not that much sitting out there to look at.

Thanks.

Brian,

Thanks a bunch. These will be a great source of information. I see no ECM bumps which was a question I had. I read the FCM decal sheet wrong and thought that the jet in 88' would have had the new gas vents which I see not is incorrect. No turning back now thought. I'll call it builder interpretation.

Glad to see the 210 jet. Apparently someone was able to track down and decuce 210 was the jet in the fly-by image.

Thanks again.

No ECM on these jets and definitely no tall Tacan. The Naca vents didn't come to the A until after ODS. VF-213 got them in 91, VF-33 got them on some jets late 92 along with some ECM... some of them still had the grill vent in 93 and no ECM.

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

Spent the night getting the bird up in the air.

The display is tall and just shy of 18". The model is mounted on a custom cut crystal clear acrylic stand. The stand is 3/16" thick. A slot was cut in the bottom of the jet to accept the insert cut on the top of the stand. The stand slides into a styrene box, coated with epoxy for added strength, and sets about 5/8" deep into the model. The the actaul fly-by pass was made at an 85 degree bank. At that angle the model sits downward the weight allows it to sit comfortably on the stand without glueing. Unless I run into a problem, my plan is to allow the model to be removed from the base for ease of transporting.

DSC_1569.jpg

DSC_1570.jpg

DSC_1571.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

The crystal clear acrylic is a super way to "fly" your AC.

very good idea.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

ps Those special blue unit markings, on your model, must have been hard to copy :thumbsup::whistle:

Edited by Bug Bandit II