WARNING: Modern Hobbies LLC

Use extreme caution when dealing with Modern Hobbies LLC. Below is a copy of my complaint to the Indianapolis IN BBB.

On 4 Feb 2010 I attempted to place an on-line order for hobby products with Modern Hobbies using PayPal to pay for the order. For as-yet-unknown reasons that order did not go through, but the payment was held by PayPal until early March.

On 9 March 2010 I printed an order sheet from the Modern Hobbies web site, and sent the order with my check for $29.50 to Modern Hobbies. I alerted Modern Hobbies via email that the order was mailed. On 19 March 2010 my check for $29.50 was cashed against my account. On 30 March 2010 I sent an email to Greg Willaims (Modern Hobbies) asking for the status of my order. I received no reply.

On the morning of April 10th I contacted Mr. Williams by phone inquiring about my order. He had no comment when asked why he didn't reply to my email of March 30th, nor could he explain why I had not received the products that I ordered. He mentioned problems with the post office. He asked if I wanted a refund or the product. I told him I wanted the product. He told me that he would make the product and send it to me Express Mail. He assured me that it would arrive no later than Friday, April 16th. I still have not received the product. If necessary I can send copies of my order, the canceled check, and the unanswered email.

He assured me that it would arrive no later than Friday, April 16th. I still have not received the product. If necessary I can send copies of my order, the canceled check, and the unanswered email.

That was just 3 days ago. I would atleast wait a week just to be sure. Also, this should be in this forum.

Hundriver, I'm sorry to hear about that, but ya're not alone in yer grief, believe me...

If it makes ya feel any better, there was a hobby shop in Shreveport, Louisiana, I used to buy from back in 1992; no internet by then, purchase was made by fax. I made a first purchase of nearly $650 which I paid with a money order. Due to some products being out of stock - they told me they were available before sending my order - a total of $84 remained as credit in my account. A month or so, after my order arrived, I chose to purchase some other products with that credit, but I could never place that new order. The hobby shop disappeared as did my credit. Vanished for ever, mate; gone with the wind...

I can't quite recall the name of that hobby shop, but I learnt of it through FineScale Modeller magazine. I should still have their invoice somewhere, tho. Gonna see if I can find it.

So wait three days and then smash him? If it was a problem and he did send the product he is essentially sending a second order at no charge - which he takes the hit for. Never heard of modern hobbies not coming through...........

I hold him to his word unless he contacts me with other info. To tell me it will arrive NLT April 16th, and not call or email me with a reason for a delay beyond then is bad business practice. There was certainly no delay in him cashing my check. I have now heard from another person on another modeling forum who has had a similar experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the months in which those GBU-31's are announced as "coming soon", no more updates on the homepage and his "problems" he once talked about ... my guess is that they can best be avoided (for the moment) .

Too bad, as I've ordered from Greg and his stuff is really good . And I need 12 of those GBU-31's ...

Stef