US Navy Super Tucanos?

Hey Joe

Thanks for the update. Would definitely like to find a way to do one in 48th, short term project or not. Any chance of more pics seeing the light of day?

mason

Maybe...this is my favorite

FuryatFallon-1.jpg

HJ Photo

Found a pic on Fliker, here, notice the bogus BuNo. Heard about "Imminent Fury" online, but this is the first pic I've seen.

Is there a 48th scale model around? Very high on the coolness factor.

mason

There's actually a straightforward explanation for BUNO that is quite amusing to most and the continued fascination on forums and in the press with it was source of great mirth to team. Meanwhile, it took forever for the same sharp-eyed "tailspotters" to notice the more prominent markings that would seemingly be of more interest to modelers (led to comments in Ready Room akin to: "ahem, what about the Big BLACK PONY on the cowling, Sherlock?")

IMG_0597.jpg

Photo by HJ

There's actually a straightforward explanation for BUNO that is quite amusing to most and the continued fascination on forums and in the press with it was source of great mirth to team. Meanwhile, it took forever for the same sharp-eyed "tailspotters" to notice the more prominent markings that would seemingly be of more interest to modelers (led to comments in Ready Room akin to: "ahem, what about the Big BLACK PONY on the cowling, Sherlock?")

IMG_0597.jpg

Photo by HJ

Here's a different view i just found showing smaller legacy VAL-4 zapper aft of large Black Pony

Ponyturning.jpg

Here's a different view i just found showing smaller legacy VAL-4 zapper aft of large Black Pony

Ponyturning.jpg

Awesome prop blur.

Someone needs to do a 48th kit. :salute:

Thanks for the additional pics and closeups of the Black Pony markings.

mason

Awesome prop blur.

Someone needs to do a 48th kit. :doh:

Thanks for the additional pics and closeups of the Black Pony markings.

mason

You're more than welcome. I spent many an hour building and detailing models back in the day so I am sensitive to what today's perfectionists are looking for when they decide to detail a specific type/model/series/unit/specific BUNO. Now I can post some images that have been languishing in my computer, I'm more than happy to share them with those who really appreciate them.

ARC in particular was a great resource in organizing a Tomcat Group Build for the Sunset events in 2006 so I'm returnign the favor-to-speak. Now, if somebody would just produce a 1/48th kit, I'd even get back in building them again!

I love those rare or one off A/C projects. There does not appear to be anything available in 48th but I am keeping an eye open for one. In the meantime, whatever you feel like posting would be great. Nice nose on pic, by the way. :doh:

Let's see what I have still tucked away:

First live Mk81 hop with flyby for the JTAC party

Panelcheckw-Mk81headonpass.jpg

About to taxi out of Fallon flightline on a 5 sortie day

Fallonlaunch.jpg

Closeup of preferred iron: the Mk81

Mk81.jpg

Returning to line at Pax River

5L7P9796.jpg

"One of these is not like the other"...anyone want to guess why this is included?

5L7P9544.jpg

Great series of photos HJ!

Why is the Mk81 the "preferred iron"?

There were 60,000+ of them over at nearby Hawthorne that USAF declared excess so we had all we could drop...for free. Otherwise, target set in theatre doesn't need much for a kinetic finish and aircrews did the loading by hand of .50 cal, rockets and iron in remote FOB (would you rather load a 250 or 500 pound bomb when there are any jam loaders in sight?)

Returning to simulated barebones remote FOB at Fallon (when USAF cadre arrived, we had them earn their load qual upfront..supervising gunners were highly amused to watch O-5s hefting iron...we also kpet them going long past 12 hours and quartered them in oldest Q rooms so they were really roughing it...none complained..well, actually one didn't like his room)

RusticFury.jpg

First live iron on target (unguided). Needless to say: high order direct hit on tank hulk (aka "Shack").

IMG_2157.jpg

Quotable quote from SEAL JTAC controlling mission: "Crap, now he'll really think he's good"

Of course, a precision kit is nice as well

5L7P9510.jpg

Still mining several laptops for relatively oldie, but goodies...

Back from first det to Fallon in summer of 2008

June08715.jpg

First airborne image

FurySeptPix078.jpg

First live drop

mk81drop.jpg

First man-camp

FuryCamoII.jpg

Being Dominican myself i cant wait for a 1/48th version of the super tucano (Hopefuly not a full resin kit).

I have a feeling these will be around for a long time in latin american airfoces

and we all know how we latinos like to come up with interesting paint scemes =)

here's a dominican super tucano with shark mouth

1313k.jpg

and an aquatorian one with digital camo.

Super-Tucano-do-Equador-2-500x333.jpg

HJ,

You guys going to Milestone B soon?

Spongebob

That would be for a traditional Acquisition Program. IF is/was a Proof of Concept so Milestones do not apply. It was not tied to a particular aircraft either. We initially sought an AT-6B in 2007, but discovered after meeting with company reps that it was a proposal and fancy photoshop image we saw on cover of C4ISR Journal. We therefore utilized an available Super Tucano to install the IF Mission Kit that is truly platform agnostic and can be readily installed on anything from a Caravan to a Super T.

Although we have letters from 4 star level COCOMs requesting current configuration, the Kansas CODEL is pulling out all the stops to slow down any progress until their AT-6B is in production.

IMG_8132.jpg

Edited by Heyjoe