Thanks Greg. The tracks were painted with Model Master "track color" which is sort of a dark grayish brown. They were then heavily dry brushed with MM "oiled steel" which is fast becoming one of my favorite colors. I used a trashed #2 brush and really scrubbed in steel so about 80% of the brown was somewhat colored. Then a good wash of a brownish rust mix and finally another light dry brushing of oiled steel. I was very pleased with how it came out.

Mike, the unditching beam rails didn't give me as much trouble as some of the on-line reviews of the kit had me fearing. I just glued the three pieces of each rail together with them layed flat on a sheet of glass. Once they were dry, I mounted them to the hull with blue tac and cemented the fore and aft ends to the insides of the track horns. Once they were firm, I cemented the center (or "centre" as you'd say ;^) ) brace to the top of the hull. The ends have a pretty good glueing surface so the hold pretty well. I've had to re-glue a couple of joints due to transport damage, but the front and back have never come loose.

Mine's painted in MM "Field Drab". I think it's the color that US wool uniforms were dyed. Think "Ike" jackets. It's a lot more brown than the usual O.D. and I think it fits the description of the WWI British tank's color better.

The track need some care when attached. Don't try to use heat to form them around the tight bends, I did and they started to split. I used thick CA cement and glued and clamped a little at a time. The join is on the bottom and attention to alignment is needed to ensure the ends meet up square. I had to trim about 1/2 a track shoe off. There isn't much of an alternative.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
Mike, the unditching beam rails didn't give me as much trouble as some of the on-line reviews of the kit had me fearing. I just glued the three pieces of each rail together with them layed flat on a sheet of glass. Once they were dry, I mounted them to the hull with blue tac and cemented the fore and aft ends to the insides of the track horns. Once they were firm, I cemented the center (or "centre" as you'd say ;^) ) brace to the top of the hull. The ends have a pretty good glueing surface so the hold pretty well. I've had to re-glue a couple of joints due to transport damage, but the front and back have never come loose.

Thanks for that. I will use that method as well.

Mine's painted in MM "Field Drab". I think it's the color that US wool uniforms were dyed. Think "Ike" jackets. It's a lot more brown than the usual O.D. and I think it fits the description of the WWI British tank's color better.

I will check that colour out. The jury is really out there with the correct colour. Olive Drab, Battleship Grey or British uniform brown are the choices I have seen. I was leaning towards BU brown as choice.

The track need some care when attached. Don't try to use heat to form them around the tight bends, I did and they started to split. I used thick CA cement and glued and clamped a little at a time. The join is on the bottom and attention to alignment is needed to ensure the ends meet up square. I had to trim about 1/2 a track shoe off. There isn't much of an alternative.

The tracks are on and I used CA and careful application of pressure working my way around the track length. Did you notice the slight "cant" inwards of the track top runs? Also, the box structure at the top and the fuel tank at the rear have less than positive locations for placement.

Edited by madmike
I will check that colour out. The jury is really out there with the correct colour. Olive Drab, Battleship Grey or British uniform brown are the choices I have seen. I was leaning towards BU brown as choice.

I've read in a couple of first-hand reports from ground troops that saw them (but we all know how reliable witnesses can be on stuff about colors...) that they were brown. An aircraft observer recorded that as well, they should know a thing or two about observing. That's why I chose the "Field Drab". It's sort of a brown with a green tint moreso a green with a brown tint.

The tracks are on and I used CA and careful application of pressure working my way around the track length. Did you notice the slight "cant" inwards of the track top runs? Also, the box structure at the top and the fuel tank at the rear have less than positive locations for placement.

I think mine ended with a very slight cant outward! It probably depends on how perfectly you get the sides of the sponsons aligned to each other.

I also had trouble with the box on the rear of the hull. I can't remember exactly what I did but it involved cutting a side off and re-arranging where the exhauset passed through it.

I had trouble with the driver's cupola as well, I had to pull it apart once and re-glue it to get it straight(er). Luckily, its troubles are mostly hidden by the tracks and the unditching rails.

Wow, Dave you've been busy!! :thumbsup:

Nah, just without a computer from when my hard drive on my old Windows ME 'puter gacked last summer until I bought a new PC. I was waiting for Windows 7 to come out. Now I've discovered that my ancient (2002) Sony camera won't download to the new computer. It's a Mavica that records onto a 3.5" CDRW and I can't get the pictures off of it unless I finalize the disk now.

Side note - down at Long Island last week, I had to go to five different stores before I found som 3.5" CDRWs! Man, technology goes obsolete fast these days!

• 2 years later...

:D, That looks great Dave. As you say, memories of colours fade with time and there wouldn't be any of the original soldiers left now so WW1 is no longer within living memory so far as those who took part in it would be concerned. I know what you mean about ancient video camersa not being compatible with more modern computer software. I have a 2002 model Sony TRV330E video and I can't upload viceos to my computer. I can connect the camera to my DVD recorder and make a DVD of whatever's on the 8mm tape and then put that in the computer and it will play from the computer but going straight from the camera to the computer is a no go for me. Don't ask me why, I have no idea, but that's how it is.

:cheers:,

Ross.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I just got given this exact same kit by my wife. She got it from the Somme War Museum in France.

I have no idea how to build a tank :blink:

I looked at the instructions and almost had an anxiety attack ;)

• 11 months later...