Heller 1/72 Eurocopter EC-145 Securite Civile

Hello, all. This is my attempt at the Heller 1/72 EC-145. I'll be using the kit markings. I think I can have it done in 5 weeks as it looks like a pretty straight forward build. First up is the box top:

IMG_1641.jpg

Gratuitous sprue shot:

IMG_1644.jpg

My assistant. Her name is Delta. Ignore the photoetch. I was going to rob some seatbelt buckles from the Eduard B-29 set but I opted not to.

IMG_1222.jpg

First, a quick victory. The landing skids are already finished. The kit gives you three options. I opted for the short skid version.

IMG_1543.jpg

Base Security. He's here to give you a sense of scale. He's 1/72 scale and about 1 inch tall.

IMG_1550.jpg

The skids were painted in gloss black:

IMG_1633.jpg

I don't know what the platform is used for. If anybody knows, I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me. TIA.

Lastly, I'll leave you with a Youtube video of the short skid EC-145 at take off.

Updates as they happen...

Glad to have you join in. I think the platforms are snow shoes, they give the helicopter a little better footing on soft surfaces. They tend to focus on the rear of the skid so that if it sinks in the helicopter will sit a little nose down to help keep the tail rotor away from the ground.

Edited by Aaronw

Thanks, everybody, for your comments. @Aaronw: Thanks for the info. I had no idea what those things were for.

I'm working on the chopper this evening. I'll have an update later tonight.

It must be done by now. You where working on last time i saw it.

Frank

Troublemaker! :)

This is my first attempt at the cabin. I'm not happy with it and I'm making some changes. The biggest problem is that awful decal that Heller gives you for the instrument panel. I suppose they're trying to reproduce a glass cockpit (I don't even know if the EC-145 has one.) but those random, multicolored rectangles look terrible. I'll probably keep the instrument panel as-is but I'm going to change the center console. I'm also scouring my spare parts boxes and other kits for interior tidbits.

IMG_1647.jpg

From the front.

IMG_1652.jpg

The fuselage comes molded in yellow but it will be painted. I decided to paint the windows first.

IMG_1654.jpg

I find it interesting that the camera is picking up flaws in my build that I'm not noticing during the building process. I'm going to study & address them.

All comments are welcome.