Bf-109 Jg300

For Luftwaffe's experts: i bought a decal sheet form eagle cls to make a 109 of the Jg300; the airplane is Yellow 17...

bf109009.jpg

Pleas can you help me with colours: according to the instruction sheet the plane is painted in 74/75 over black, with darker grey zone...

I think all the upper urfaces are in 74/75?? The side of the fuselage is normally pianted in RLM76...in this case are they RLM 75 or overipainted with another kind of grey??

thanks in advance

ciao

Ale

I built that one a couple of years ago using the FineMold 1/72 Bf 109G kit.

yellow172tq1.jpg

I opted to use 75/74 on the upper surfaces and also extended 75 down the fuselage sides adding 74 splotches. Undersides are black. I applied the white outline national crosses and the oversprayed them with black, leaving just a hint of white showing.

I've got the JG300 book and looking at the photos I'm thinking that to replicate that scheme I would:

1. Paint the aircraft in a stadard daytime RLM74//75/76. (I wouldn't bother with 76 on the undersurfaces obviously...)

2. Apply national marking decals

3. A heavy mottle of RLM74 on the sides and perhaps on the wings too to break up the camoscheme there. The 74 on the fuselage should cover the entire sides although with a varied density so that some 76 shines trough but is darkened. The RLM75 should only be visible on the fuselage spine.

4. Add the black undersurfaces and cover the markings in black with some overspray to further darken the fuselage. Also, I would add more overspray and a less neat demarcation between black and the 74. It looks much less clear cut in the pictures.

Cheers! / Anders

Edited by Cpt_Farrel

To replicate the look of this particular aircraft flown by Gerhard Stamp, both in the book JG 300 as well as EagleCal's sheet, you can paint the topsides a standard scheme of RLM 74/75 but then mist RLM 66 to darken the appearance. There are some fairly good pictures of the actual plane in the above mentioned book on pages 96-98. Interestingly enough, the darkened/patchy scheme was found on many Bf 109's used by JG 300 including that of Arnold Doring. For the black undersides I've found that mixing in a small amount of light gray (FS36622) to gloss black is a bit more pleasing to the eye. You can put together a lighter mix of this to post shade the panel lines and the effect is quite striking. And yes, I did say gloss black as it seems to go on better than flat and will be flattened when you're finished up and apply a few light coats of clear flat over the aircraft.

Greg