Short answer: No.

But I think Fantastic Plastic is coming out with a 1/72 kit of the Scorpion gunship.

I remember them talking about it. Now that the dvd is out they can get a much better idea of its shape and detail.

Would love a 1/48, but will probably still buy the 1/72.

I saw a really good conversion done of the Scorpion toy to make it a model and it certainly has potential. Everything on it looked well proportioned and not chunky or toy like at all (although it probably has some soft plastic bits in it, those can be challenging to work with). The resulting model was brought to our Omaha model show a couple months back and I was very impressed with how well it looked.

So think of it as a kit that you have to disassemble first before building it up like a full model. :jaw-dropping:

Edited by Jay Chladek
  • 2 weeks later...
So someone may have asked before, but, in honor of Avatar release day...

Has anyone produced any models of the mechs from Avatar? I'd especially like kits of the helicopters.

Anyone know of any?

Thanks!

I think the popularity of the movie caught most every one by surprise, even the toy and model makers who will now have to pay DOUBLE or TRIPLE what they would have had to pay if they had bought rights to the merchandising early on. How many years (decades?) did it take before Holygen models came out with some decent Alien/Aliens models? Let's hope we don't have to wait that long.

I remember them talking about it. Now that the dvd is out they can get a much better idea of its shape and detail.

Would love a 1/48, but will probably still buy the 1/72.

Be aware there are 2 different scorpions. The FP kit (due out in june) Only covers the double bubble one that is used as the "hero" ship. The other type is a single seat cockpit of a much different shape.

From only watching the film i thought they were all scorpions. You never hear the other name. However James Cameron made a pretty full behind the scenes world so it wouldnt surprise me.

AFAIK, the "double bubble" one is called the Samson, and the Scorpion is the single-seater gunship.

Or am I wrong about that?

You are correct Antonov.

The double bubble is the SA-2 Samson Tiltrotor. The other aircraft is the AT-99 Gunship (field name: Scorpion).

HTH

:angry:

• 3 months later...