F-14B, VF-74 Be-Devilers Adversary 1/48

Progressing slow but sure ...

I've epoxied the sides to the main tubs and test fit the tub in the fuselage with the canopy.

Here's a photo of the sides rough sanded and waiting for paint.

25Sides.jpg

I've started to work on the seats. I wanted to add some texture to the seat cushions. Using an idea from another member, I've used a band-aid strip for the textured cloth effect. It will be interesting to see what it looks like after painting.

Here's a photo of the seats before painting.

26Seats.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, our nice summer weather is here, so I haven't been spending too much time indoors. However, I was able to finally finish the seats, and complete my first 1/48 resin cockpit. :salute:

Here are some shots.

27FinishedSeats.jpg

28FinishedCockpit.jpg

29FinishedCockpit.jpg

I won't be spending much time on this model over the summer. Hopefully, I'll get back at it early in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent so much time on the cockpit, I thought I'd display it during my summer modelling sabatical & until I restart the build in the Fall.

I found the cockpit fit nicely into a super glue plastic container. It will protect the cockpit, but most importantly will keep the dust off while still being able to see it.

So, here's a pic of my 'cockpit in a bottle'. :cheers:

30Cockpitinabottle.jpg

Edited by JohnS
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the compliment Holmes.

Our summer season is over, so I've had a little time to get back to the model.

Not much to report, though. I'm starting to work on the fuselage, doing a little scribing and scratch building.

Here's an inprocess photo showing the scratch built vents on the left front fuselage. There's still some work to do to finish the vents - filling, filing, scribing and riveting.

31Vents.jpg

Excellent work on that cockpit, John!!

Would you mind telling me what type of paint you used for this? I saw a jar of MM enamel in one of your shots but wanted to make sure. The details are just great!

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks for the compliments.

...Would you mind telling me what type of paint you used for this? I saw a jar of MM enamel in one of your shots but wanted to make sure. The details are just great!...

I mainly used Model Master paint, but I also have a cache of Humbrol enamels as well. I used artist oil paints and pastels for hi-lites, dry brushing (knobs & switches) and weathering.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm slowly making some progress on the forward fuselage. If I was paid by the hour, I'd be rich. :rolleyes:

So far the build has been both fun and a little frustrating. Lots of putty, sanding, more putty, more sanding, priming, more putty, more sanding .............

Here are a few in process pic's.

Starting to open up the vent on the left front fuselage half.

32StartingFuselage.jpg

F-14 'B' Gun vents and rivets added.

33BGunVentsAdded.jpg

Another shot of the vents.

34BGunVentsAdded2.jpg

The gun vents were hollowed out and opened up before assembly to the fuselage.

35BGunVentsOpened.jpg

Scratch built detail was added to the Vulcan cannon muzzle. I also removed the molded angle of attack sensor probe and replaced it with the end of a straight pin.

36VulcanMuzzel.jpg

And finally, the gun gas exhaust vents were opened and reinforcement details added.

37GunGasExhaustVents.jpg

Next up will be adding PE slime lights and probe details, and then a good cleaning before applying a coat of primer.

Thanks guys.

I applied the PE and a coat of primer. It's nice see these parts in one color for a change.

38PrimerApplied.jpg

39PrimerApplied.jpg

The primer has hi-lighted a few sins. These will need a little more putty and sanding.

I've also added canopy guides, made from wine bottle foil, to the canopy side rails. You can just see them in the first photo. I had to sand down the inside of the clear canopy so it would fit over the guides.

Next up, the cockpit, ballast weights and the canopy will be assembled.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into my first major issue with this build. When doing a trial fit up of the Aries cockpit, the forward fuselage, and the canopy, I found the Hasegawa canopy wasn't wide enough to fit over the guides I had attached to the fuselage. :wasntme: So being innovative, I grabbed my wife's hair dryer and proceeded to heat up and bend the canopy so it would fit. Boy, was that a mistake! The short story is, the canopy cracked and the cracks could still be seen after a soaking in Future. :angry:

So what to do? I have a Revell F-14D kit that I never built. So, I thought I'd see if the Revell canopy would fit the Haseqawa model. Much to my surprise it fit - well almost. I glued some Evergreen plastic strips to the canopy sides to widen the canopy and blended them in with putty - no hair dryer this time. :crying2: I sanded the entire canopy :unsure:, re-scribed it, and polished out the sand lines. Then I added the static details to the top of the canopy, and finally gave it a good soaking in future.

Well?

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Here's a couple of before and after pic's.

40Canopy.jpg

41Canopy.jpg

42Canopyfitting.jpg

Whew, what a relief!

Next up, I'll be painting the Aries wheel bays and hopefully finish the interior detailing on the canopy.