F-14B, VF-74 Be-Devilers Adversary 1/48

Just about finished the Tomcat. Just have a few paint touch-ups & stick on the nose probe.

I%20FEEL%20THE%20NEED%202_zpsjho4s9b4.jpg

Geesh, even these little guys want me to hurry up. :rofl:/

Edited by JohnS

Well she’s finished!

Here’s a few pic’s showing some of scratch building projects completed on this build;

Chin Pod, Gun Muzzle, & Nose Gear Strut:

34793516054_58cba79cd6_b.jpg

Yaw String, Windscreen Rain Vent, & Cockpit Canopy:

34793511774_b7c8794e7a_b.jpg

Cockpit:

35248094240_1b9f30d6b4_b.jpg

ECS Exhaust Louvers & Plumbing:

]34793512784_37c58b1b99_b.jpg

Weapons Pallets & Air Conditioning Fans:

34793513334_9de8911422_b.jpg

Fuel Tank Pylons, Main Gear Struts, & Missile Rail Adapters:

35466638822_56c7c85165_b.jpg

Arrestor Hook Mechanism:

34793513904_e87d50cd76_b.jpg

I've included more photos of the completed jet in the next post.

Edited by JohnS

Thanks Steve & dsahling.

Yes, it's been a very long time. I worked on the Tomcat as a winter project off & on for 4 to 5 months for each of the last 6 years. Wow, that works out to approx. 2 full years. The Hasegawa kit has its issues, but overall I enjoyed the build & it was usually easy to keep motivated.

35466640322_4123673858_b.jpg

Edited by JohnS

I like it,congrats from me too! :)/>/>/> Well, honestly, it looks to me like a freshly sorted plane from the factory... If that was the goal - then - perfect! But for a Tomcat, i think this is quite surrealistic. There should be some more weathering, darker rivets, soiled areas... And the decals look very clean, sharp and contrasting. The engines/intakes area is quite dirty, while the wings are quite clean. The RBF tag on the missile looks wrinkled, like it`s not affected by the gravity :)/>/>.

On 5/14/2016 at 2:18 AM, tomthegrom said:

That last photo is STUNNING. The little details are amazing, the gun port, TCS lens, Drop tank pylons. You smashed this one out of the park.

Thanks Tom. Much appreciated.

On 5/14/2016 at 6:14 AM, my favs are F`s said:

I like it,congrats from me too! 🙂 Well, honestly, it looks to me like a freshly sorted plane from the factory... If that was the goal - then - perfect! But for a Tomcat, i think this is quite surrealistic. There should be some more weathering, darker rivets, soiled areas... And the decals look very clean, sharp and contrasting. The engines/intakes area is quite dirty, while the wings are quite clean. The RBF tag on the missile looks wrinkled, like it`s not affected by the gravity :).

Thanks for your feedback & comments.

This jet did receive special paint treatment (see my post http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=207998&view=findpost&p=2785123)

Squadron VF-74 - BeDevilers was disestablished on April 30, 1994, after 50 years of service. I tried to replicate how VF-74’s F-14B, BU No. 162919, Modex 101 would have looked in 1994. It has just received a new coat of camo paint on the top & sides ready for the squadron’s decommissioning ceremony. The squadron received a concession to full color markings on 101 (the CO’s jet) as a farewell gesture to VF-74 prior to its disestablishment. The underside of the aircraft was not repainted, except for anti-corrosion spot painting. The underside of the actual plane remained very dirty after the USS Sarratoga cruise in 1992. The ship was an oil burner causing the squadron’s aircraft to get very dirty. Apparently, at times, the ship did not have enough fresh water to wash its aircraft.

Here's a pic I included earlier, as well.

35248093160_3542bc8bf0_b.jpg

The RBF tags look a little wrinkled due to the wind in my den. :lol:

Edited by JohnS

Hi again!

I finished the display stand for my Tomcat. Yahoo!!!

I purchased an 8”x24” pre-finished shelf from Lowes for the display base board. I cut the length down to 15 ¾” (I’ll show you why later). Then, using a heat gun, I removed the veneer off the cut off end piece, and re-glued it onto the cut end of the 15 ¾” piece.

I found a number of concrete tarmac images on the Internet, & printed out the one I liked the best. The tarmac image was cut to size and glued onto the display board.

I made a nameplate for the display using Photoshop and glued it to the display board, as well.

The F-14 was mounted on the display using small gauge copper wire inserted in both the display board & holes drilled into the F-14’s main wheels. Wheelliant Navy Wheel Chocks (painted orange) were glued on at the main gear wheels.

Here’s a few photos.

The Tomcat on the display board:

35647789505_828209c292_b.jpg

I left the little flight crew free standing so they could be removed or repositioned.

35607952326_a31c58a756_b.jpg

Now, here’s why I chose an 8”x15 ¾” display base. You might recall, earlier I built a display case to keep the dust off the model.  The 8”x15 3/4” display board fits nicely inside the case.

35248095580_fa1234bbfb_b.jpg

A bonus is that the display board can sit on top of the display case, and the case can do double duty as a display stand.

34838497463_a882a755c7_b.jpg

Well, this project is finally finished. The only thing left is to post some pic’s in the ARC Display Case section (Link to Display Case thread).

Finally, I’d like to use this opportunity to thank all of you who offered advice and comments regarding this build over the last six years. I owe you a lot for helping me make this build as accurate & detailed as possible, and for keeping me motivated to finish this build.

Thank you all!

Edited by JohnS