Nato Aircraft doing touch and goes on the Autoban

They still had F-86Ds in service in the early 80s? :D

Great video, interesting to see that it wasn't just the East Germans with highways as runways. But I suspect this was an Autobahn being trialled as runway before the road officially opened. Anybody know where?

That was awesome stuff!!!! Did they always use the Autoban for an airstrip?

Yup. I remember being at Ramstein in the early 1980's and launching F-4E's and C-130's from

autobahns and other roads, for that matter. The U.S. interstate system is set up for air operations

as well. I forget the exact rule, but one mile out of every five or ten miles (or something like that)

has to be a straight line for possible contingency aircraft operations.

It was the same in Turkey when I was there. They don't really have anything like interstates or

autobahns there (except around Istanbul) but I remember seeing roads that had places that

could used as runways.

They still had F-86Ds in service in the early 80s? :D

F-86D: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http...ved=0CAkQ9QEwAA

Fiat G.91: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_G.91

"Wenn ich mich aufwachse, möchten ein Sabrehund sein."

Looked like a Luftwaffe G.91R-3 to me.

Thanks for posting Frank, nice vid.

Edited by MikeC
They still had F-86Ds in service in the early 80s? :thumbsup:

Great video, interesting to see that it wasn't just the East Germans with highways as runways. But I suspect this was an Autobahn being trialled as runway before the road officially opened. Anybody know where?

Not F-86D's but Fiat G-91s. *EDIT* okay, already solved... above :D

The exercise took place on a section of the Autobahn (A27) near the town of Neuenwalde. When you look it up in Google Earth, to center that section go to 53°43'07.95''N, 8°39'44.86E. From there about 1 Kilometers both to the North and the South you can see similar styled parking lots and not far from them bridges going above the Autobahn. Those are the bridges visible in the video. At least that is what I suspect.

Greetings,

Rafael

Edited by RedIndian
Looks like the Herk was the only one that was able to land there! Seriously though, did the fighters need arresting cables, or could they actually land in that distance?

Cool vid!

Mark

They could set up arresting equipment along the side of the road. Some places had arresting equipment

in place. Mark, you're still flying around... If you're ever at Ramstein, go out the west gate and there's

a long stretch of straight road. It's unusable as such now but during the cold war that was a contingency

runway with everything in place. It was always ready to use at a moment's notice back then.