Mate blown up in Afghanistan

Just found out a mate & ex-ACF Cadet,now serving with the Royal Irish,was caught in an IED blast in Helmand Province on 22nd April.Scott was providing cover to another RI who was patrolling in a slight gulley,they saw a spot of grass that looked dodgy so decided to turn back when it went off.

His body armour took the brunt of the blast & he has shrapnel wounds in his arm & they had to remove a six inch nail from his hand.One of the other guys had some teeth knocked out & the third had some shrapnel enter his abdomen & come out his leg.

All are recovering back at Bastion I gather,good job Scotts got a thick skull!

Just found out a mate & ex-ACF Cadet,now serving with the Royal Irish,was caught in an IED blast in Helmand Province on 22nd April.Scott was providing cover to another RI who was patrolling in a slight gulley,they saw a spot of grass that looked dodgy so decided to turn back when it went off.

His body armour took the brunt of the blast & he has shrapnel wounds in his arm & they had to remove a six inch nail from his hand.One of the other guys had some teeth knocked out & the third had some shrapnel enter his abdomen & come out his leg.

All are recovering back at Bastion I gather,good job Scotts got a thick skull!

That is awesome that non perished, and are recovering. I salute them for doing what others couldnt even though they arent from my country. Please give them our regards and many many thanks! :jaw-dropping:

I'm grateful to hear they will recover.

Thank them for their service. It is a thankless job and they are under-appreciated.

They and their families are always in ouor prayers.

Mongo

Glad there weren't any fatal injuries, but damn that sounds painful. Send 'em our best from the US - over there, all the allied forces are "our troops", whatever nation they're from. Glad to hear our guys are gonna be all right.

Hope they get a purpleheart for their sacrifice.

I have a purpleheart from WWII, I have no idea what was done to earn it, its not on my uncles ribbons so I do not think he sustained any combat injuries, yet he still had it. Too bad he died in 2004, Id love to ask him about his feats in the battle of the bulge as an artillery man, but I will never know exactly what he did.

I have a close internet friend, we play company of heroes alot, but he was a veteran of afghanistan and he tells me he thinks the country is the biggest waste of mens lives, money and material ever concocted by Washington bureaucrats. Claims his unit took something like 30 casualties so combat engineers could build a road in the middle of nowhere, where the people hate westerners.

Doesnt make their injuries any less noble, but Ive noticed a steep decline in the value of my dollar since all these wars were started (When I started driving, gas was as low as $1.29, now its more than double that)

Edited by Superjew

Wow, they all have my prayers for a speedy and full recovery ... :pray:

They also have my Thanks for their Service as well as their families for the sacrifices they make as well ... :whistle:

Gregg

Thanks all,

Scott was more worried about his damaged kit!He's had his wounds on his left side packed & dressed &,along with the chap with the mouth injury,are still in Afghan however,the abdomen injury has been flown back to the uk.

Superjew,

we dont have any medals for battle injury's like the purple heart over here,but the are calls for one.

One of the real success stories from Iraq and Afghanistan is the improved body armor worn by the troops. So many guys made it home that would have been killed if they were wearing the gear issued even a few years ago.

Glad your buddy and the rest of his team made it ok!

Regards,

John