Worst Movies Ever Made

Disagree. 2001 gave a thinking person a lot to think about in 1968. It is a groundbreaking intellectual movie that goes over the head of a general audience. Way ahead of its time. A classic that takes some work on the part of the viewer to appreciate.

Agree! The movie blew me away when it first came out...and I was in 6th grade! OK, so I didn't understand a lot of the symbolism but the space scenes were just so cool, as was the music, and as a kid fascinated with anything science and computer related, HAL was the star of the movie!

Just a few months ago I got the special edition DVD set for 2001 and have watched it once again, for the umpteenth time.

While I don't subscribe to the evolution message being presented, I can still appreciate an imaginative story and the elegant way in which the movie portrays it. Still ranks as one of my favorites.

Also, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, 2001 is the ONLY movie to realistically portray the behavior of objects in space. No whizz-bang sound effects taking place in total vacuum and vehicles whipping around like they have a license to ignore the laws of physics.

Now, in keeping with the thread topic, while I won't say it is the worst movie ever made, one of the worst movies I've ever tried to watch was "Office Space". Many of my coworkers (I do work in an office) raved about it so I borrowed the DVD from one. I think I made it about 10 minutes into the movie and shut it off. Vulgar and idiotic. Not my cup of tea.

Cheers,

Eric

But I will always regret paying to see "Ice Pirates".

You actually PAID to see that piece of drek? I still regret sitting through it on a hotel TV on a business trip years ago...

You actually PAID to see that piece of drek? I still regret sitting through it on a hotel TV on a business trip years ago...

The only thing redeeming about that movie was the line.. "Want to go for a ride in my bad chariot...."

Yup, at a real theatre, with my wife...so I actually paid for two tickets!

I also paid to see "A Boy and His Dog" (Instead of seeing "Stripes", which I thought looked stupid) and "the Last Chase", which only had some F-86 sequences in it as redemption.

I had poor choices in movies when I was young. However, I am glad to have seen 2001 in Cinemascope. Anything else just lacked the grandeur. I sat my 10 year old son down a few years ago and had him watch 2001...he was utterly confused and full of questions at the end, which is pretty much what he should have gotten out of it. The next day, I sat him down for "The Blue Brothers" and he was still confused and full of questions, but laughing until tears came. I feel those are two of the better films made, just at opposite ends of the spectrum!

Alvis 3.1

Planet Of The Apes (2001) - Absolutely terrible and devoid of any substantive plot, particularly the ending. Even worse than the B movie it was a remake of.

The original was certainly not B grade. It was a classic.

Anything with Hannah Montanna in it. My girlfriend took the remote from me and I could not get it back. Unfortunately,

I was airbrushing and could not leave, so she tormented me until I was finished.

RYAN.

I don't see movies at the theater very often but "The Road to Wellville" is the only movie that's gotten me to leave after less than 45 minutes.

Agreed! I live in Battle Creek (graduated from Kellogg Community College) and that movie was so far off the mark it's ridiculous. I suppose I can give them a bit of a pass on the geographical innaccuracies (it looks more like upstate New York than western Michigan.) But while J.H.Kellogg was a bit of a nut job, but not nearly the wacko portrayed in the film, and the biographical details about him (including his death) were completely fictictious. Oh, and while he may have invented corn flakes, it was his entrepenuer/philanthropist brother W.K. who marketed it and founded Kellogg Cereal.

Escanaba in Da Moonlight. This movie is about Yoopers (people in Michigan's upper peninsula), so it should be hilarious, but alas it was not.

Admittedly, I fell asleep for about a half hour in the middle, but I really didn't get it either (and I'm a native Michigander.) Now a couple of my freinds who regularly hunt in the U.P. find it hilarious. I guess it's one of those "you have to be there" things.

I finally say "2012" this week while I was stuck home sick on the couch. I went in with low expectations, and found it fairly enjoyable. But then I like "Independence Day" for the same reason. It's just mindless action/adventure/global destruction. Independence Day is still far better that 2012 though, simply because the characters are far more enjoyable (particularly the Jeff Goldblum/Wil Smith interplay and Randy Quaid's over-the-top "Cousin Eddie" crop duster pilot.) Without the whiz-bang effects, 2012 was a yawn, with totally cardboard characters. When one of the main characters gets killed in the finale, I didn't even particularly care.

Oh, here's one I haven't heard mentioned yet: "Twister." That turkey is so bad it's actually funny. It was just on TBS tonight (thier slogan is "Very Funny," and their promo for it was a comedic mashup of the flying cow scene.) I had to leave for work halfway through, much to my wife's delight..since she was most tired of me pointing out the voluminous technical and continuity errors, as well as the two dimensional characters (Cary Elwes' "Bad Rival Scientist" is just painful to watch..I think the director must have told him "just do your "Hot Shots" character with a Texas accent.) I've always wondered how there could be tractors falling from the sky and houses being blown across the road, while the trees are standing still and the sun is shining. The kicker is the finale, as Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt are caught inside an F-5 funnel, while tied to a well pipe. After the storm, their friends arrive to find them with nary a scratch (just a bit of dirt carefully applied by the art dept.) In real life, with all the debris hurtling around inside that 300 MPH vortex, all that would have been left of our heroes was hamburger you'd need to identify with DNA tests.

"I gotta go Julia, we got COWS!!"

SN

Edited by Steve N
Has "The Core" been mentioned yet? One of the most predictable movies I have ever seen.

Yes it has!

I also nominate, "Land of the Lost" with Will Ferrel. It was just on HBO. Horrible.

I just saw a news peice on "Birdemic" the other day. It should be subtitled "William Hung Makes A Movie." Truly awful. Apparently the maker of the film has actually been doing PR for it, and is loving the attention..negative though it is. He even plans a sequel!

SN