Worst Movies Ever Made

It's funny how many difference in opinion and taste there is in this thread. Lot's of it I agree, but a lot I don't. Guess that's why in general, there's always some movie that someone will like.

I agree with this 100%. Reading some of the entries on these lists, and seeing movies that I actually really like, only serves to underscore the whole subjective nature of it. I saw Cabin Fever mentioned; I have it on my HD recorder waiting to be watched! Eek! Sounded OK in the write-up...

There is one interesting trend I'm noticing in the comments though. Films that require something of you as an audience member, rather than simple passive observation, generate interesting levels of antipathy. I'm thinking specifically of titles like Lost in Translation, 2001, No Country for Old Men and others. To get anything out of these films, you really need to engage with them, sync with their tone and rhythm. If you don't, or are not prepared to, I guess I can understand the comments. Last night I watched Mullholland Drive - very hard to sync with that film! (I enjoyed it though.)

Kev

I will give you that. I am reading the book now and I realise how far off the movie is. the only thing that is the same is the characters name and the planet earth. HORRIBLE movie!!!!

Sean

I've gotta agree, the movie really was baddddddddd.. although I read the book and liked it.

Shakespere in Love.... I just didn't get it...

Another vote for Battlfield Earth. I really enjoyed the book, but *** was John Travlolta thinking? I really can't watch any movie with Travolta now, I'm scarred for life.

Most romantic comedies... He'll my life is a romantic comedy, why would I want to be reminded?

There is one interesting trend I'm noticing in the comments though. Films that require something of you as an audience member, rather than simple passive observation, generate interesting levels of antipathy. I'm thinking specifically of titles like Lost in Translation, 2001, No Country for Old Men and others. To get anything out of these films, you really need to engage with them, sync with their tone and rhythm. If you don't, or are not prepared to, I guess I can understand the comments. Last night I watched Mullholland Drive - very hard to sync with that film! (I enjoyed it though.)

Kev

:thumbsup:

Well, guess there's no accounting for taste.

I happen to LIKE "Alien Resurrection," actually quite a lot. Joss Whedon's script is a cut above much of what gets made nowadays; good acting from Ron Perlman, Dan Hidaya, Sigourney Weaver, Gary (CSI) Durden, and even Ms. Ryder. Production values are better than either the first or third film in the quadrilogy, and the underwater sequence is majorly kick-a**! Sure, it's nowhere near as good as Cameron's "Aliens" (#2 in the series), but what is???

Now, if you want to pick on a TRULY bad sci-fi flick, how about "Star Trek V" or even the original "Star Trek: The Motion Picture." Those were seriously awful movies.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

That's ok, I am still your friend!!! :thumbsup:

yeah some of those trek movies were stinkers, the ONLY reason I enjoyed Star Trek I was the beauty shots of the Enterprise.

That's ok, I am still your friend!!! :D

yeah some of those trek movies were stinkers, the ONLY reason I enjoyed Star Trek I was the beauty shots of the Enterprise.

Oh Dear,

Now you have besmirched the name of Our Lord Shatner, the greatest thespian since Sir Lawrence Olivier. Trekkers with their phasers set on heavy "stun" and their Klingon pain sticks on "extreme agony"will no doubt be beaming in any minute.... KKHHHAAAAAANNNN !!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Vpanoptes

"The Creeping Terror." Quite possibly the worst movie ever made. I remember seeing this one back in the early 80s on "Movie Macabre with Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" (it was also later lampooned on MST3K.) A total schlockfest..an "alien monster" made of (I'm not kidding) carpet remnants with a bunch of local college students underneath lugging it around, that wanders around the countryside consuming poor unsuspecting townfolk..of course, the "monster" moves so slowly the victims have to sit and wait for it, and then literally climb into its mouth.

The original soundtrack was lost (or possibly never even recorded) during production, so the entire film has no dialogue, with the action being described by a narrator backed up by some public domain muzak. Apparently, the "director," "producer," "editor" and "star" Vic Savage (under the alias A.J.Nelson) came into this small California town, convincing the locals to help finance what he said was going to be a major Hollywood blockbuster (many locals were given bit parts in exchange for an "investment" of a few hundred dollars) Savage was hit by several lawsuits from disgruntled investors before the film's scheduled release, and disappeared. The film was produced in 1964, but apparently never released in theatres..it's first known showings were on TV in the mid 70s.

SN

Edited by Steve N
I agree with this 100%. Reading some of the entries on these lists, and seeing movies that I actually really like, only serves to underscore the whole subjective nature of it. I saw Cabin Fever mentioned; I have it on my HD recorder waiting to be watched! Eek! Sounded OK in the write-up...

Kev

I understood what it was about i just didnt like lost in translation. I enjoyed no country, and 2001.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Midway." Although it boasted an all-star cast and was reasonably historically accurate, the fictional characters were shallow and the dialogue awful..the production had the look and feel of a typical 70s made-for-TV movie. And the rest was just a patchwork quilt of mismatched footage from the National Archives and Every Other WWII Aviation Movie Ever Made.

SN

Death in Venice - is he dead yet? It just went on and on and on and........................................

Fellini's Satyricon - an incredibly confusing movie - so confusing that when i saw it at the university film club in the early seventies, the projectionist went straight from reel 1 to reel 3 and nobody realised until the end titles came up and they still had one reel left to show.

Any war film that distorts basic facts to pander to audience tastes (U-571 anybody?)- friends and I did discuss one time making a film showing how the Royal Marines won at Guadalcanal and how the RAF dropped the first atomic bomb from a Lancaster on Hiroshima - well it would have played well in middle England, and who needs it to be accurate?

Pendragon Studios version of The War of the Worlds. Sure its straight from the book...that include all the walking and walking and walking. Also the acting was ungodly awful, effects looked like they were done on an old Atari. seriously even if you get this one for free its not worth watching.

yep I am a huge wotw fan, WORST ADAPTATION EVER. my biggest chuckle was the red and greed anti collision lights on the martian flying machine

Oh this is easy - Travolta's "Battlefield Earth".

I had to jump in here and make sure somebody mentioned, it. Glad you beat me to it.

Movies this bad should have warning labels on them.

:(

Edited by Dax
Don't forget with Plan 9 the lead actor died a couple of days into the shoot (Bela Lugosi) so they got around it by filming a guy a full foot taller who walked around with his arm covering his face!

It's worse than that, the scenes with Lugosi were just random scenes shot for another movie Ed Wood was trying to make. Bela Lugosi died 3 years before production even began on Plan 9.

In an ironic twist, Ed Wood, a movie about the director of Plan 9 and other "gems" was actually a good movie, it even won at least one Oscar. Martin Landau deserved his Oscar for playing Lugosi.

If want really scary, someone is trying to remake Plan 9 from outer space. :(

Edited by Aaronw