In London with a few days to kill

That is a good question. I didn't book it. I will find out. I hear that there are a number of good fishing villages along the coast. Looking forward to that. Also looking forward to driving around a bit. Hope I can relax a bit in Cornwall.

If your an airplane nut then RAF Hendon is better. If you like all things related to British military history (planes, ships, guns, uniforms, knives, hats, flags....) then the IWM.

I also recommend the National Army Museum. Forgot the neighborhood, but it is at a military/veterans hospital complex. HTH

Yuk

That is a good question. I didn't book it. I will find out. I hear that there are a number of good fishing villages along the coast. Looking forward to that. Also looking forward to driving around a bit. Hope I can relax a bit in Cornwall.

Remind me, when will you be in Cornwall?

Personally I wouldn't bother with the London Hannants - the last few times I've gone there it's been very sparse indeed. I'd go to The Aviation Hobby Shop in West Drayton instead - it's half the size of Hannants but has twice the stock!

The RAF Museum is excellent however and well worth a visit as there are some rare and beautifully preserved aircraft there plus it is informative without being turned into a children's playground. Then there's the Science Museum in South Kensington. This is linked to the Natural History museum and also incorporates what used to be the superb Geological Museum; certainly a good day out with some excellent exhibits but it is more of a children's playground than the RAF museum. Just around the corner is the Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park, or (for the girlies) just across the road is the Victoria & Albert Museum.

Have fun!

I agree about Hannants,ignore it and go to The Aviation Hobby Shop in West Drayton.To get there from London I would suggest getting the Tube to Terminal 5 at Heathrow Apt then catch a #350 bus outside which should stop just outside the store.

Stephen

I agree about Hannants,ignore it and go to The Aviation Hobby Shop in West Drayton.To get there from London I would suggest getting the Tube to Terminal 5 at Heathrow Apt then catch a #350 bus outside which should stop just outside the store.

Stephen

Or you can get a train to west drayton from paddington, and buy a travelcard all zones, there £7.50 after 9.30am, you can travel anywhere in london for the whole day with it.

HTH jamie

looks like I will be in cornwall around the second week in june. I am really excited to go. Looking forward to seeing the English countryside and the coast.

Ooh, shame - you'll be a bit late for the best of the gardens. Cornwall is renowned for its early spring gardens, made possible by the mildest climate in the UK. Ah well, failing that, I'd recommend Padstow and Falmouth for coastal towns, and Wadebridge and Truro for general niceness. All of them are small enough that you can see open fields from the middle of town. Plus, a pint at the Merrymoor in Mawgan Porth is about as close to the beach as you can get without getting sand in your beer.

That's a nice picture you got from one of my office windows, glad to hear you had no trouble getting in. :woot.gif:

Have you been down to Greenwich to view the Cutty Sark yet?

I know she's still being rebuilt but there's plenty of old antique shops to browse nearby and boat trips to be done. There's a lot to do round there including the National Maritime Museum (special display of toy boats now), the fabulous artwork in the Old Royal Naval College http://www.oldroyalnavalcollege.org/ and you can always set your watch to the right time at the Royal Observatory on the Greenwich Meridian!

The Queens House is decorated as it was in the 1670s http://www.nmm.ac.uk/about/history/queens-house/

If you would like to meet up, feel free to PM me.

Nick