Hasegawa 1/48 YF-19 -> VF-19A

I finally started my 1/48 YF-19 kit two days ago.

Some sub assemblies.. Lots of filler, the fitting is bad as Hase's 1/48 old mold Tomcat kits.

vf_19a_jr_01.jpg

vf_19a_jr_02.jpg

vf_19a_jr_03.jpg

vf_19a_jr_04.jpg

vf_19a_jr_05.jpg

vf_19a_jr_07.jpg

I will finish it as a low visibility SVF-184 bird. So I took VF-84's low-viz scheme as basis and draw all the markings as vectors except the nose art. As decal film I used BareMetal's laser decal paper.

Ufuk AYDINER..

I am sure that with your skill you will make this fit better as you correct and reshape the kit..

Look forward to the build..

Masallah.. :thumbsup:

edit:spelling.

Edited by HOLMES

Seems that cream colored plastic is more of a culprit than hasegawa and their tooling. Its the same plastic used on their VF-0 battroid and it suffers from the same numerous sink marks and such. Their white plastic like the stuff used on the VF-1 and VF-0 fighter kits seems to be of a better quality and shrinks less as it cools.

If you were willing to print copies of those decals, you could certainly sell a few of them to people at MacrossWorld.com's forums.

If anyone interested in these decals, I can share the sheet as PDF..

And the progress report..

After filling the gaps, I painted cockpit floor with Alclad silver then used my own MFD decals. I choose standby position for displays and Frontier style warnings.

vf_19a_jr_08.jpg

Closed the fuselage and filling few spots.

vf_19a_jr_09.jpg

With Gunze Sangyo's H306 and H308, I airbrushed some air superiority scheme. Few touch ups on the way...

vf_19a_jr_10.jpg

I modified the pattern with more dark grey then airbrushed antiglare etc with tire black.

vf_19a_jr_11.jpg

vf_19a_jr_12.jpg

After painting wing tips etc to white (like Tomcats of Vf-103) I covered all the surfaces with Tamiya X-22 and applied squadron decals.

vf_19a_jr_13.jpg

vf_19a_jr_14.jpg

vf_19a_jr_15.jpg

I'll continue with stencils tomorrow I hope.

Thanks guys..

Few shots before weathering...

vf_19a_jr_16.jpg

vf_19a_jr_17.jpg

vf_19a_jr_18.jpg

And I have a question:)

As you know, tail section of this plane is actually left arm's shield and equipped with pin point barrier system. This gave me idea to mask few roundel in this area and airbrush some blast effects. But after removing masks these marks will be meaningless for lot of people and I don't want to explain this system countless time. Shall I take this risk?

• 3 months later...

I just ordered the limited ed of this kit. Only difference i think is the decal sheet. I can't wait for it to arrive. Its on a slow boat from China...um Japan. I am far more excited about it than I probably should be. I am hoping that Hase will do more macross birds in 48, but I will be happy just to get more in general, even if it expands the 72 line. I am not taken by the Bandai releases.