Dyess AFB Linear Air Park

A few shots from the Linear Air Park -- our display row -- at Dyess. Today was a great day to get some photos, but I only had time to hit the bomber/tanker circle. More to follow on nice photo days, or you can add your own! Some of the old colors would be great to see if anyone has those photos.

Mark

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3942-1.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

Edited by F106A

THanks Mark for posting these! That's a good collection there. Pretty funny on the B-52 there named "Iron Butterfly". If you look on my pics from Eglin, I took a pic of the B-52H there with the same name, guess it shoule be called "Iron Butterfly II" lol

David

I was surprised to see how many of the airplanes had been repainted since I was last there. I only had time to hit the fighter circles and the weather was not as good yesterday.

F-84F51-9364DyessAFBMay10.jpg

F-86L53-4035DyessAFBMay10.jpg

F-89J54-298DyessMay10.jpg

F-100C54-1752DyessMay10.jpg

F-105D59-1738DyessMay10.jpg

The F-101B has had some repainting, still keeping the 111th FIS markings.

F-101B57-0287111thFISDyessMay10.jpg

The poor F-104A needs something though.

F-104A56-0748DyessAFBMay10.jpg

Wednesday is supposed to be hot, sunny, and hot (oh yea, I said that!), and I'm still on leave! Perfect excuse to get some pics showing off that nice silver Hun! That, and I pulled weeds, changed my oil, went to the kids little league games, and just stayed busy all day today!

Mark

In honor of the Trainer GB, here's "Trainer Circle" at the air park. Plus the Tweet and Talon off on their own to the west of the circle.

Mark

(Note on the T-34 how they've got the trim tabs bolted down so they don't move, but the elevator is not. Only one like that I saw.)

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

Edited by F106A

Cargo Circle...

Notice how the C-47 has faded since we painted it back in 2008! I think it looks better now.

IMG_4902.jpg

101_0093.jpg

I could still smell the paint drying on the C-7 and C-123!

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4894.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

Edited by F106A

The "Black Planes" Circle. Or, at least that's what I call it! B-57, A-26, and an O-2. Didn't they have a few O-2s painted black for night ops at one point? I can't remember.

Mark

IMG_4907.jpg

Note the C-130J flying just above the nose in this shot. I waited for it! Our first J-model. My replacement!

IMG_4957.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg

The F-111A, the fake P-40, and the Bone up at the gate. Note the SAC decal on the nose gear of the B-1! It looks like it flew with that sticker! The P-40 is one of those fiberglass replicas. It's one of only two aircraft outside the gate. I'll post the other later.

Mark

IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

The nose art on the display B-1. You can't see this at all just driving through the gate.

IMG_4974.jpg

Not in the Air Park! This is an RB-66B, s/n 53-0466. Lot's of history too! I've read it was on display at Pima, then Bergstrom AFB, and when that place closed it moved to Dyess. As I understand it, it used to sit where the F-111A is now. For some time (longer than I've been at Dyess - 2007 - it has sat in a field west of the clinic rotting. I've heard they want to clean it up and put it back on display, but they don't have the money. Makes sense. If anyone has a display photo at Dyess (or other bases) I'd love to see them. This is the only one I've found. (Open it and scroll down a bit.)

http://www.b66.info/EB-66-photos.htm

Here are some of the shots I took today. BTW, I would not recommend anyone who is not familiar with Dyess go driving around trying to find this aircraft. The SPs would have a fit.

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

This is the other aircraft outside the gate. Anyone can drive right up to this one as it is on display in front of William E. Dyess Elementary School just south of the base off Jennings Drive. This is the F-4D who made the last MiG kill of the Vietnam War on 8 Jan 1973. Read about here starting on page 84.

http://books.google.com/books?id=P7fr5T3-S...ill&f=false

While I was out there taking pics school was just letting out. As I was under the plane, I saw a gentleman walking over to me, and realized it was the principal, or a senior school official. It was the principal! I thought he was going to tell me to leave -- some nut out in front of his school with a camera, and all those kids around! Well, he just wanted to tell me about his pride and joy! He told me a bit of the history of the aircraft, and that at one point the USAF wanted to move it somewhere else. He said the mayor of Abilene got involved, and there the plane sits today! I asked about the paint job, and he told me it was redone in 2007 using latex! He doesn't like it either, but is hoping for a decent paint job next time. I'd love to help!

Anyway, here are the best shots. I need to go back when the sun is at a better angle.

Mark

IMG_4990.jpg

IMG_4989.jpg

Edited by F106A

And the last of the photos. This is the Fighter Circle closest to the traffic circle. After over two and a half years, I think I got all of the aircraft on display at Dyess! Most in one day! Thanks for looking, and if anyone has any special close up requests ask soon as I'm deploying this summer!

Mark

IMG_4926.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4937.jpg

(My favorite shot of the Hun!)

IMG_4945a.jpg

Not in the Air Park! This is an RB-66B, s/n 53-0466. Lot's of history too! I've read it was on display at Pima, then Bergstrom AFB, and when that place closed it moved to Dyess. As I understand it, it used to sit where the F-111A is now. For some time (longer than I've been at Dyess - 2007 - it has sat in a field west of the clinic rotting. I've heard they want to clean it up and put it back on display, but they don't have the money. Makes sense. If anyone has a display photo at Dyess (or other bases) I'd love to see them. This is the only one I've found. (Open it and scroll down a bit.)

Man, I remember that RB-66 at Bergstrom's Recce Air Park. Sad to see her off rotting in a field. Wonder what happened to their RF-84, RF-86 and RF-4...

Man, I remember that RB-66 at Bergstrom's Recce Air Park. Sad to see her off rotting in a field. Wonder what happened to their RF-84, RF-86 and RF-4...

The RF-84F 52-7409 is at the Birmingham IAP, AL.

RF-101C 56-0135 went to Maxwell AFB.

RF-86F 42-4492 is now at Wright-Patt:

RF-86F52-4492USAFMSep20061.jpg

I thought there was an RF-80 as well, but that was a long time ago so I am not sure.

The Tweet and Talon.

More to follow...

Mark

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

F106A Thanks you for your beautiful array of photos...and TWEET... :explode:

THANK YOU B) :explode:

and Jinxx11 some EXCELLENT photos that you have posted.

HOLMES