SR 71 Blackbird - doubts!

Dear guys.

It's a pleasure to be here again with all of you. Well, i'm searching my "Century Fighters", my last aquisition was a F100 monogram 1/48 with some resin parts and photoetcheds, pics later!

But now i readed a little article in the Webkit's forum about the the Lockheed SR71 Blackbird!

/

Many questions came but one doesn't have a answer: WHAT IS THE CORRECT COLOR FOR THE SR71? Because, the plane turned in flat black after the first flight with high temperatures etc...

Many years a go, someone told me that's the correct color is a dark blue...

So, anyone have a clor pic of this aircraft in dark blue?

Thanks a lot,

Marcelo :cheers:

I have never seen Sr-71 up close, but dark blue sounds very wrong judging by the pictures. Light black or very very very dark grey is more correct. On some pictures you seen blueish tint, but that is due to the heat the airframe is exposed to, and that tint is minimal.

Guys,

I know that the color is flat black but the original color before the first flight was other one probably dark blue...

I have a old pic here but i don't know where is it....

So...anyone hava a different pic from a Sr17 please post here....

Thanks guys....

Marcelo :cheers:

The A-12 made its initial flights in bare titanium. Later on the heat-resistant composite sections (chines, wing edges) were painted black, which was done to the M-21 and YF-12. These were later painted all-black. The SR-71, on the other hand, has always been painted all-over flat black. Claims that the color is a shade of dark blue are false, as you can get that effect from color cast.

Dear guys.

It's a pleasure to be here again with all of you. Well, i'm searching my "Century Fighters", my last aquisition was a F100 monogram 1/48 with some resin parts and photoetcheds, pics later!

But now i readed a little article in the Webkit's forum about the the Lockheed SR71 Blackbird!

/

Many questions came but one doesn't have a answer: WHAT IS THE CORRECT COLOR FOR THE SR71? Because, the plane turned in flat black after the first flight with high temperatures etc...

My Friend ,

I have a big book on Black jet put out by Airtime Publishing. And after looking through it. The Blackbird has ever had only two colors Silver?/Titainum or Black. Their has never been a Blue BlackBird. You can by the Book for the Publishing company https://airti2.sslcert19.com/template2.php?...ET&type=boo

Some color references from my trip to Pima.

P9010253.jpg

P9010245.jpg

P9010246.jpg

P9010241.jpg

P9010255.jpg

I know this doesn't answer the interesting blue color question, but i hope it helps. I have several more pics if interested.

Curt

Curt

Thanks anyway. Well can you send me the pics of the blackbird?

My email address is: marcelopdecampos@yahoo.com.br

Thanks again, MArcelo

Black, I do recall the story of them being painted a dark blue, but they sure are black.

This is one in Palmdale, it's been sitting in the sun for quite a few years now and it's still Black, not faded Black but just Black.

Curt

100_7593.jpg

100_7622.jpg

100_3323.jpg

100_3362.jpg

100_3293.jpg

The Blackbirds were in fact blue - that looked black.

Here is a statement from http://www.unrealaircraft.com/gravity/sr71.php "The aircraft would also be painted in a highly-emissive dark blue paint (almost black) to emit heat 2.5 times faster than unpainted titanium."

The color was actually Indigo Blue and was more of an application than a paint. The "paint" also contained thousands of little iron balls that helped to dissipate the heat.

I am curious about the source of that site's text. While I have read that the color is blue-black, this seems contradicted by observations of the real thing. Likewise for the X-15, which I have read was also supposedly painted dark blue.

Exactly---I've read that exact quote many times. Never heard any source to prove it. If it is blue, then it's far, far more black than 35044 or 35042---which themselves are often hard to tell from black even in pure sun.

Frankly---if it was dark dark dark dark dark blue, the ones exposed to sun should have faded to navy blue by now. But they haven't. They're all still black.

Okay - here is more documented evidence on it being Indigo Blue (I know, it looks as black as black can be). Maybe it was a typo somewhere and it should be FS35042, which is a charcoal black. It could have happened been reported as Indigo Blue many many years ago as a mistake, kind of like LBJ misspoke and the RS-71 was transformed to the SR-71 (another true story).

Boys Life - June 1989: http://books.google.com/books?id=xWYEAAAAM...lue&f=false

The Squadron "In Action" books says it is FS 35402 Indigo Blue.

"The SR-71 is actually painted FS 35402 Indigo Blue, even though it looks black." (SR-71.org)

35402 would be a medium-light blue according to the FS standard. If it's a typo, it'd be 35042---and 35042 is a well-known FS color, and many modelers could identify it, especially faded. It's neither 35402 or 35042, IMHO.

(and I'm even a vehement "that's not PURE white" or "PURE black" guy---I consider most "whites" as a very pale grey, and most "blacks" as very dark grey or dark blue--and even I don't accept the Blackbird as blue)

IIRC, some guys a few years ago tried to settle the infamous "dark blue" theory, and took an actual FS595 deck to a Blackbird---and it was black. Not any of the super-dark blues that exist.

Edited by David Hingtgen
I am curious about the source of that site's text. While I have read that the color is blue-black, this seems contradicted by observations of the real thing. Likewise for the X-15, which I have read was also supposedly painted dark blue.

The X-15 was never painted. It was left in its natural metal, Inconel-X, which has a dark bluish/black color. The only coating applied to an X-15 was on the X-15A-2 which had an ablative coating applied for its last two flights.

BTW, the X-15 was a hypersonic research vehicle and paint coatings at that time could not stand up to the localized heating experienced on these flights. Even the painted on markings had to be reapplied several times during the X-15 program.

Cheers,

John