Greetings all,

Back in February I asked for info about Scotland. Thanks to all who helped. Edinburgh, Inverness, Nairn, and London Gatwick area are on the schedule. God and the volcano in Iceland willing I will get there this month! I believe I have a back up plan if I can only fly as far as London. If my "in country (UK)" flights are canceled what are the odds of the trains having room for a couple more people on them?

I believe (my backup plan) Gatwick to Victoria Station to Kings Cross Station would be the answer and still be in Scotland before dark. Am I correct? How long does it take to clear customs on a Saturday morning in Gatwick? I also need names of places to eat at reasonable prices at the above listed towns or close by. I suppose I don't even know what a reasonable price would be in the UK.

How about hobby shops in any of these locations? Hobby shops with N scale trains would be OK too. I may not have much time in London so it would have to be near Gatwick. Hannant's is a hope but uncertain, I hope to cruise Loch Ness. Kyle of Lochaish uncertain as of now. Any chance of seeing the Aurora Borealis while I'm there?

:cheers: My thanks to JulienUK, Kalashnikov-47, Scotsman, Tornado64, Falkirk1298, and BAM'n'IVM from February. :cop:

I've asked plenty of question trusting you for more good responses,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I live in Inverness, so can and will answer any questions regarding my part of the world. I'm off to bed just now but will be in touch tomorrow

Scott

Hi,

If UK internal flights are not working (hope they are but its been on and off!) then the train is your best bet, coach would take far to long.

You can get trains to Glasgow & Edinburgh from London, linky

Customs in the UK should not take too long. Green channel if not brining in any dutable goods (ie to much booze or ciggies) you might get picked out for a bag search but should not take to long. Same at Immigration, might be a queue if early and not too many people on. Should not be too long though. I have always found US entry procedures much worse than UK!

Not sure on hobby shops, best ask the locals. If you get up to Loch Ness then its really nice. I have sailed through there a few times and I love it. Places to eat, best ask the locals but pretty much something in all price ranges fro cheap to WOW how much! :)

As for the Aurora Borealis I have never seen it myself but then a lot of my nights in Scotland ended up with me passed out!! :D I did used to deliver to a lot of whisky distillerys and had to do some quality control! :D

Julien