Chris

You have probably answered this question already...

Although the Swiss Air Force has replaced the AIM-9P with the -X version on their F/A-18s,

they do still use them on their F-5E/Fs both as captive and live ammunition.

Therefore I'm really desperately looking for an appropriate -P version :woot.gif:

Are they part of your plans?

Greetings from Switzerland

Greg

So when can we start buying these babies?

I'm starting a 1/32 Harrier soon, and can use a couple of 9L's.

[EDIT: I just noticed that Chris' site was updated with the missiles available. Woohoo my Harrier will look awesome with those 'winders!]

Edited by loftycomfort

QUOTE (markiii @ Aug 10 2010, 11:03 PM) post_snapback.gifPS-- AIM-9X's done yet? :woo:

Alexander? :cheers:

Hi Chris!

Just stuck completely with the intakes for my Mig-29 :)

As for X...well, it's really tempting...D'u really want ME to master it? :whistle:

BTW, PM sent yesterday...still not replied...

Cheers!

Alexander.

:cheers:

Edited by Eastern
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all 1/32 scale enthusiasts!

I think it's time to bump the topic up to enhance the interest.:D

Have you odered those "bad boys" shown here for your F-15, F-16, F-18, etc. yet? :D

Not yet? Then rush, rush to the Zactomodels.com and place your orders! :)

BTW, next project to launch is supposed to be AIM-9X. I finally managed to master it but since I'm a very slow modeler, I can't name a due time to release it. :D

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:D

Edited by Eastern
Hi all 1/32 scale enthusiasts!

I think it's time to bump the topic up to enhance the interest. ;)

Have you odered those "bad boys" shown here for your F-15, F-16, F-18, etc. yet? :coolio:

Not yet? Then rush, rush to the Zactomodels.com and place your orders! :cop:

BTW, next project to launch is supposed to be AIM-9X. I finally managed to master it but since I'm a very slow modeler, I can't name a due time to release it. :D

Alexander.

I have got my 9M's (excellent by the way)

9x's, How about some pics?

Mark

I have got my 9M's (excellent by the way)

9x's, How about some pics?

Mark

Hey Mark, please, don't spur me on! :D I haven't started yet. Just picking refers.

But if you mean the pics of the real thing, I can place some. :thumbsup:

cheers!

Alexander.

I'd get some 9X's since I have a couple of 1/32 Super Hornets in the stash. Their interest might be limited to only those who have the SH kits, though.

Terry

Hi Terry!

You mean the Trumpeter's kit, I suppose. I haven't seen their in-kit 9X yet but I think it's not so"delicious" as my version is expected to be. ;) But don't forget F-15 and F-16 big scale guys who maybe will have excited much to get the thingy when it's done. :P

Cheers!

Alexander.

AIM-9X is used on F-15, F-16, and F/A-18A-F. The Trumpeter AIM-9Xs in their Super Hornet kits is down to their normal low standard of accuracy.

Hello Jim! I hope my standard is high enough. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Alexander.

:cop:

Hello Jim! I hope my standard is high enough. :cop:

Cheers!

Alexander.

:jaw-dropping:

I'm not worried about you and Chris; just grateful that Trumpeter identified their missiles AIM-9Xs so we know what they were supposed to be, otherwise I would have never guessed! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys!

Now I finally can show you something I accomplished so far. ;)

Three da*n weeks I've been tinkering with that tiny (even in 1/32 scale) 9X rear fin. For the first time I managed to use plastic card to master it but my three attempts failed and finally I decided against plastic and took thin aluminum sheet. And now you can see how it turned out.

Here some in-progress pics:

51947-0474d-36741578-m549x500.jpg51947-3297e-36741584-m549x500.jpg51947-3a1ef-36741592-m549x500.jpg

And now some photos of the completed thing:51947-7cf88-36870334-m549x500.jpg

51947-a573e-36870340-m549x500.jpg51947-8554e-36870337-m549x500.jpg

51947-04b3d-36870339-m549x500.jpg

I do know that the fin is not 100% accurate, but I think it's not nacessary to replicate it 100%, it's "good enough" as it is, isn't it? :)

Next step will be the fore fin. BTW, it's just a tradition to begin each my missile project with fins. :)

Alexander.

Edited by Eastern

Wow! Getting all of the intersecting angles and facets looking so neat and tidy must have been quite a challenge Alexander.

Are you planning to make all four fins seperately or hoping that the remaining three can be cast in resin? (It would certainly be less stressful)

The finished article is once again commendably thin. These AIM-9X missiles will surely be much sought after.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Wow! Getting all of the intersecting angles and facets looking so neat and tidy must have been quite a challenge Alexander.

Are you planning to make all four fins seperately or hoping that the remaining three can be cast in resin? (It would certainly be less stressful)

The finished article is once again commendably thin. These AIM-9X missiles will surely be much sought after.

Keep up the good work. :)

:tumble:

Thank you for comment, Guy!

Oh, no, no more 9X rear fins to master, I had enough with one. :) I hope Chris will resin cast them. :o

Cheers!

Alexander.

:tumble:

Yes, that is some amazing craftsmanship getting those facets so perfect and sharp. I'm inspired. :cheers:

Thankfully Alexander will only have to do one of each fin which I will duplicate in resin, then make a mold with four copies for production.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys and thanks for the encouragement.

Now I'm here again with some updates. The fore fin is done and I'm about to place a few pics to show how it turned out. So, check it up! :)

51947-f6b8d-37359645-m549x500.jpg51947-dd7e7-37359955-m549x500.jpg

51947-662d5-37359958-m549x500.jpg51947-4ecba-37359959-m549x500.jpg

51947-18f31-37359957-m549x500.jpg51947-5ff57-37359956-m549x500.jpg

Well, slowly but steady I hope to finish this "bad boy" by the Christmas, if everything's OK. :coolio:

Alexander.

;)

Edited by Eastern

Alexander,

That fin looks like the real thing that came out of a CAD drawing and a milling machine. I won't be surprised if it's actually air-worthy.

You and Chris, the two of you really feed off each other's work - your missile fins, and his MiG splitter plates. You guys are doing what is meant for machines to do, and that is some unbelievable work when performed by humans.

Terry

Alexander,

That fin looks like the real thing that came out of a CAD drawing and a milling machine. I won't be surprised if it's actually air-worthy.

You and Chris, the two of you really feed off each other's work - your missile fins, and his MiG splitter plates. You guys are doing what is meant for machines to do, and that is some unbelievable work when performed by humans.

Terry

Hi Terry! Thank you much for your kind words. What you said is very inspiring and encourages me to new modeling exploits. ;)

Chris and me are the two modeling nerds :D but it's nice to feel yourself a winner when that piece of plastic or aluminum is defeated. Yes, it takes long hours of scrupulous and meticulous work and great patience but the end result is worth it! But I think my work is quite modest in comparison with what some other guys do, especially in 1/72 scale!

Alexander.

:(

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

It finally happened! Today I eventually finished this beast! Actually I didn't expect it would be sooo time consuming project. It was a real challenge from one hand but from another side it was a kind of contest whether I'm able to accomplish that.

Three rear fins were broken while in progress until I decided against plastic and managed to master it using thin aluminum sheet.

Three fore portions of the rear fin platform also were broken accidentally. Sometimes the build were screwing me up but with my teeth clenched I've been creeping to the finish line and now - relief! I'm reporting it done, mission accomplished! :salute:

And now some teasing pics.:cheers:

51947--39552154-m549x500-u1cfee.jpg51947--39552175-m549x500-uac876.jpg

51947--39552186-m549x500-u2cd29.jpg51947--39552196-m549x500-uf9678.jpg

51947--39130353-m549x500-uc49d8.jpg51947--39552218-m549x500-uc7cb4.jpg

51947--39552233-m549x500-u32e36.jpg51947--39552257-m549x500-u38bdf.jpg

51947--39552270-m750x740-ue9a67.jpg

Of course, the thingy is not 100% accurate and not too neatly done (I always take a back seat for Zactoman) but I hope it will be a very nice substitution to what we can find in Trumpeter's A/F-18F kit. :nanner:

Alexander.

:thumbsup:

edit. What's the heck! Can't see the pics on my monitor! Can anybody see them?

Edited by Eastern