Decals:

020.jpg

021.jpg

I originally wanted to do aircraft 56-3440, which was used in Vietnam extensively with

active duty USAF units for many years before returning to CONUS and eventually being

transferred to the Mich. ANG. After Mich. ANG service, it was flown to the Smithsonian

NASM where it is currently in storage for future exhibition. Problem was I had a lot of

difficulties in obtaining the decals I used here from many sources. I could not find the

white number decals I needed, so it didn't happen. A couple of photographs of the aircraft

I depicted can be found at http://www.f-100.org/hun.shtml Looks like it was photographed

at an airshow and had a couple of 'zaps' on it from Canadian 434 Sqn. My model will be

without those zap markings.....

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

Darn Bluenosers! :) From what I read in Milberry's book, it sounds like your Hun got off easy. Some of the things opposing squadrons, and even air forces, did to each other was pretty extensive. All in good fun though.

Thanks for the update and clarification Patrick. I didn't think the tan was showing through your metalizers. Like I said, it looked like the tan was being reflected in the aluminum. You're making some serious progress. You should be done by next weekend.

Keep it up!

Mike

Darn Bluenosers! :D From what I read in Milberry's book, it sounds like your Hun got off easy. Some of the things opposing squadrons, and even air forces, did to each other was pretty extensive. All in good fun though.

The only reason I'm not including the zap markings is that there is no decals for that and I'd never be able to hand-paint

it. Just an idea.... I wonder if I sent the pics to Bill at CamMilAir would he be willing to print up a couple....wonder how much that would cost me...?

Pictures here:

http://www.f-100.org/hun031.shtml

;)

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

Saturday's work: Sprayed some flat coat on it. Also wing refuelling probe, nose pitot probe,

and 335 gal. underwing tanks in place. Also painted some of the detail stuff in the landing

gear wells and applied a oil paint wash in there as well. I'm starting to see light at the end

of this tunnel!

022.jpg

Edited by Kalashnikov-47
How was the fit of the gunbay covers?

I'd call the fit of those parts satisfactory. Not Tamiya that's for sure, but not bad either.

As for weapons, I plan on using a couple of bombs leftover from my Tamiya F-4C under

the outboard pylons. Mich. ANG Huns probably never carried those, but I think they'd

look good under there!

Sunday's work: She's up on her wheels and I'm happy to report she sits a little nose-high

with the nose pitot probe parallel to the groundline, just like an F-100 should. She's not

looking bad, but one thing I don't like is the area immediately forward of the unpainted

rear fuselage area. I wanted it discolored along the panel and rivet lines, but it's way, way

too dark. Soooooo, fixing that is first on the to-do list for tomorrow. The model is as

weathered as I'm going to make it. With a few exceptions, I don't like real dirty model

airplanes, so mine are usually fairly clean build with only minimal weathering.

023.jpg

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

Patrick Looking great! As a former Hun crew chief I like it.I have that kit but have not done much with it.What colors did you use?OFrom the nose back I see tan,dk. Green and then a grayish color.What is that color?Thanks and keep up the good work.

It's standard S.E. Asia camo - undersides are grey 36222, topsides are tan 30219,

green 34102, and green 34079. I used Xtracolor, but they're available in the

Modelmaster brand as well. The Modelmaster 34102 green is darker than the

Xtracolor. Don't know which is correct, but it probably doesn't matter much, since

once applied, the paint changes when exposed to the elements.

The third color back is 34102.

Edited by Kalashnikov-47

DONE!!! :thumbsup:

024.jpg

025.jpg

Thanks everyone for following along and especially for the compliments and words of encouragement!! :cheers:

More pics located in the showcase thread in the GB pinned threads area.

Well, that's it, folks! :woot.gif:

See ya'all next time, ya'hear?

Edited by Kalashnikov-47
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The engine:

Over engineered! Not only does this kit have an engine, but it has this plastic and photoetch

compressor unit. It will never be seen and that's a good thing because it looks bad. My model

will be all closed up, so I'm only doing minimal assembly and painting here:

003.jpg

Also includes a ficticious turbine that I ended up cutting off in order to fit the Aires resin 'burner can:

004.jpg

Do you think a real jet engine has all those ejection pin depressions inside? I surely hope not!

Here the kit supplied engine nose has been replaced by an accurate one from Master Details. When

deciding whether or not to buy this, I asked Ben Brown if this was actually visible through the intake

from the nose. He says the bottom part is if a flashlight is used. I'm not sure if this model will ever

go to a contest or not, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt and added it:

005.jpg

Engine components prior to final assembly and painting The resin exhaust nozzle is the F-102 type;

a must if you're doing an ANG aircraft:

007.jpg

Test fitting some of the internal fuselage components. There's a lot in there, so I'm anticipating fit problems

when I join the fuselage halves.

006.jpg

Now, I have to deal with a couple ugly seams running up the intake duct. I'll be back......

Just assembled my "J-57 engine" today what a ridiculous waste of photoetch and plastic.Assembling the thing in quarters was ridiculous with no locating pins.Thank God it will be almost all unseen inside the fuselage.Also cut off forward part of intake and fuselage for Zacto nose.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you take it to Kalamazoo today?If so I saw it and it looked great.I saw it where you sign in and looked around to meet you but I missed you.The next time I saw it was with the 1/32 aircraft on the table with another fine looking F-100D.How did you do with it?Congrats it turned out great!

• 1 month later...