Started my entry for this GB the other day. I'm building the 1/32 Kinetic F-86F-30 kit with a few extras thrown in, including a resin seat, corrected nose ring and gun ports from AMS Resin and CanMilAir decals for Uncle Guy's Sabre, a Canadair Sabre Mark 2 from 421 Squadron, Grostenquin, France in 1953. I was going to use a set of Scale Aircraft Conversion white metal landing gear but the sets I have will only fit the Hasegawa kit - so the kit gear it is. I'll post a few photos next week. I know that the kit I'm using is wrong to depict a Mk2 from 1953 but I'm going for overall effect and not total accuracy. Will keep everyone posted. I look forward to the builds by other participants in this GB.

Good luck with your builds folks.

Game on!

Mike

Edited by AX 365

I did work on mine today. So far the only problem is the fit of the ring that holds the engine in place. Overall I am rather happy with my 1/32 build so far.

I know that the kit I'm using is wrong to depict a Mk2 from 1953 but I'm going for overall effect and not total accuracy.

Mike

Looking forward to seeing this one, I like your style of modelling!

I am sure you uncle would approve.

Julien

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay. Patrick, Neo and Julien - thank you for the positive comments.

I was transferred back to the road after I came back from holidays overseas and I'm readjusting to it. Nights = work, days = sleep. Some eating thrown in for good measure and then this past weekend was purely hectic with Mothers Day, a friend's 50th birthday on Saturday night and driving 2 hrs into the back 40 for a Chritsening to be the godparents to a friend's daughter's new baby. Sometimes there just are not enough hours in the day. Back to days this week with no days off now until May 17th due to regular schedule and use of force training (shooting, fighting, biting, kicking, scratching, tasering, kicking pepper praying, etc!). Shawn...I'm sure you've completed a whole squadron of Sabres! :banana:

I like what's in the box for the most part. I've compared the kit nose ring and the one supplied by Harold at AMS Resin and Harold's is much more accurate. The kit could benefit from a full resin cockpit assembly. To say the k it's bit is spartan would be a bit of an understatement. Harold's resin seat will make a huge difference in the appearance of the assembled cockpit. There's a huge seam running down both sides of the intake trunking. I might have to finish the model with the FOD covers in place but that is yet to be determined. The plastic isn't as hard as Hasegawa's but it's not bad. There is going to be some dry fitting and sanding required and I believe there will probably be some filler required but I've only just started the project.

It looks to be a relatively straightforward build. The fuselage is moulded in four sections, much like Hasegawa's 1/32 Sword. The GE J47 engine included in the Kinetic engine also is not as detailed as the Hasegawa offering. Like my Golden Hawks Sabre, I plan to glue the front and rear fuselage sections together rather than leave them as separable pieces. The substantial nose weight will fall into a specially designed recess over the intake trunk. The main wheels and hubs are separate parts to facilitate painting. I would have really liked to put the SAC white metal gear in place but the square receptacles on the inside of the upper wing will not allow for a proper fit. Round peg, square hole! There are no wing fences or positionable leading edge slats but there are separate flaps but not ailerons.

I have snapped a couple of photos but I'm simply too lazy right now to download them onto the computer and then into Photobucket. Maybe next week when I have a day off.

If you bought the MK.6 , the kit with a photo of a German Sabre you get the moveable slats. But in that kit you do not get decals for the instrument panel. (I used Mike Grants)

Nor do you get the nose weights, (I used putty and metal scraps)

I know all about the night shift joys. If not for management doing a MAJOR screw up on me, which I got immediate union backing and even a lawyer (grievance coming next week) I would be on nights now. As it is I got this week off with pay.

I found when assembled the tail assembly it does not kit well to the forward assembly. I might have to finish the model split up as the join is not secure at all. Only problem now is how to make the lightly detailed US engine look more like a Oranda.

BTW? Were did you find resin seats in 1/32? I built up the kit seat and am not impressed. Its usable but is really lacking detail.

Edited by phantom
Now thats just braggin!

Not really, I am mostly going out of the box so it has been a really simple build. Three days, raining too much to do yard work and the kids are in school. Fact I should have had more done by now. Hardest part was finding the dark green model master paint. Stores near work had none, neither did the 3 stores on the way home. But I found some today.

Edited by phantom

This thread needs PICS!!!!!!

As I run for cover knowing Mike is fresh out of his stone chucking, thumb wrestling, sling shot aiming, Power Ring appreciation course.

:thumbsup:

Emil

This thread needs PICS!!!!!!

As I run for cover knowing Mike is fresh out of his stone chucking, thumb wrestling, sling shot aiming, Power Ring appreciation course.

:rofl:

Emil

Is it coincidence that the National Use of Force Continuum Model looks like a 'power ring'? I think not. Just Google "photos use of force continuum" and you'll see what I mean...

Since Emil asked, and I said I would earlier, here are a few photos. I may have to split them up. In the third photo, in the middle of the shot, you can see - sort of - the corrected nose ring and gun ports from AMS Resin.

Box contents including the substantial nose weight...

DSC_0008-3.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

DSC_0009-3.jpg

DSC_0007-6.jpg

The completed intake trunk with the noticable seam...

DSC_0004-5.jpg

The cockpit side walls, the painted instrument panel and the resin seat and headrest from Harold at AMS Resin. Shawn - all I did was ask Harold nicely and he did up a few seats for me for other 1/32 scale Swords I have in the ever growing pile of plastic...

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0003-7.jpg

DSC_0002-5.jpg

As for the painted instrument panel, there is also, as Shawn mentioned, an option for a decal IP on a smooth surface. I may go that route. It will probably look better that the hatchet job I'd do in the IP.

Also a couple of more photos in the next response...

Here are the decals I'll be using from my friend Bill at CanMilAir...

DSC_0011-4.jpg

When I built my 1/48 scale AX 365 - which I subsequently gave to my cousin David, Guy's son - I enlisted Bill's aid in doing up this set. When I got them, I found this personalized touch on the sheet. You can't believe how impressed and touched I was at Bill's simple, yet deeply moving, gesture. A class act he is! :rofl:

DSC_0013-3.jpg

And finally, a shot of Canadair CL-13 Sabre Mk 2, serial number 19365 sitting on the tarmac of what used to be CFB Uplands in Ottawa in September 1952 prior to it being flown over to Grostenquin in Leapfrog 2.

DSC_0015-3.jpg

More photos as the build progresses.

Thanks guys.

Keep that build coming.... That power ring thing is pretty much in law enforcement subconscience eh???? And for all those that don't understand........ Donuts!!!!!

:tease:

Keep that build coming.... That power ring thing is pretty much in law enforcement subconscience eh???? And for all those that don't understand........ Donuts!!!!!

:woot.gif:

I'm more in to the apple fritters. Crap, thing has half a slice of apple in it so it MUST be healthy!!!!!!

;)

You have revealed the secret. Now you must pay... :thumbsup:

It has been a busy week and weekend so far. Very minor progress made. Glued a couple of things together; flaps, rudder, speed brakes into speed brake opening and more cockpit assembly. The speed brakes were a fantastic fit. No filing or sanding at all. I hope the machine gun access panels fall into place just as easily.

The resin block has been cut off the bottom of the seat and sanded flat. The headrest has also been glued in place. I have to sand the casting stub from the nose ring and gun ports. The resin gun ports are not a drop in replacement but they're close. Better to cut out too little plastic around the ports and sand it to the proper dimensions than to remove too much and have to fill a big gap.

There are wing fences and holes in the top of the wing for positioning. I see stretched sprue, glue, filling and sanding in my future.

That's it for now. Additional updates and photos when more progress made.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Keep up your good work.

Mike

Some other minor progress since my last post. Working afternoons this week and it was Her Nibs's birthday yesterday so I was busy preparing dinner and baking a cake. Not all my builds are for static purposes you know. I had hoped to get some work done on the weekend but it was to Montreal for Cirque du Soleil, dinner at Schwartz's and some shopping on Friday, a wedding Saturday, yard work on Sunday and work work on Monday.

No photos but the nose weight has been glued into place. The casting block has been removed from the nose ring and the corrected gun ports. The seat and cockpit tub have been painted flat black. Some of the details of the seat have been painted such as the headrest, arm rests, ejection handle and seat belts. I still have to paint the hoses and buckles. The canopy has been dipped in Future and is curing under glass. I've done the three piece instrument panel - a decal sandwiched between the face and the backing. The face of the panel had open holes to see the instruments. I've filled the openings with Humbrol Clear Fix. It looks very realistic. I'm a little apprehensive about the gun ports. I've never performed surgery to that extent before so I'm sort of second guessing myself. Maybe one of these days I'll summon the courage to hack the ports out.

Mike

p.s.

Patrick:

See what I mean? That seam is going to be a bear so I'm not even going to try. FOD covers it is.

Mike,

My F-100 is proceeding faster than I ever imagined....

I may be joining you in this GB with my own Kinetic F-86 soon.

Mine will be USAF/Korean War, but after seeing your CanMilAir

decals for that Canadian 421 Sqn. Sabre, I think I want another

Kinetic kit and those decals!!!!! You are going to have one fine

looking model there! :coolio:

:trolls:

- Patrick

Well...I did it. No photos today but I'll take some on Friday and post them then.

I cut out the kit gun ports and used the AMS replacement parts. They look amazing compared to the stock gun ports. I made a bit of a boo boo while opening up one side of the fuselage but I was able to recover with a few small strips of styrene and some gap filling super glue. I learned form my mistake on the other side. The seat and cockpit assembly have been fully painted and put together and the IP has been installed. I hate to rub it in Shawn but Harold's resin seat kicks the poop out of the kit seat.

Also, while working on a few things yesterday and Monday, I was contemplating the seams in the intake and exhaust runners when I looked at the bottle of Lepage's white glue sitting on my bench. The light bulb went off! Why not fill the seams and a couple of ejector pin marks with white glue? I did just that. I'll apply another light coat on Friday to make it a bit smoother. (Will be signing off shortly to eat, get ready and then go to work until 2200 hrs and then do it all over again tomorrow!) I'll then throw some Alclad aluminum up the intake and some burnt metal or similar colour up the exhaust and see how it turns out. If it sucks, I can still use the FOD covers.

Take care, all.

Mike

Lets see the photos!!!! No doubt about the kit seat compared to resin. That really IS lacking in mine. Still replaceable if I ever come across another seat in my travels as I did not glue the kit seat in place.

As promised...a few more photos

The village of Grostenquin. Unfortunately we couldn't get onto the old base which is a bit of a distance behind and to the left of the church

DSC_0695.jpg

Memorial the Newfoundlanders at Beaumont - Hamel, France

DSC_0375.jpg

The Menin Gate in Ypres

DSC_0609.jpg

Vimy Ridge and the tunnels in the limestone beneath

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg