AMS nose ring

AMSNoseRing1.jpg

Speed brake cover and gun access panel cover

SpeedBrakeCover.jpg

GunCovers.jpg

AMS gun ports and kit gun cover in situ

AMSGunPortsandGunCover.jpg

I shaved a little too much resin from the back of the ports so I saved it with some thin sheet styrene. Close enough for me. Should be hardly noticeable when painted :lol:

AMSGunPorts.jpg

Wings with one separate flap in place and the early style unfinned wing tanks

Wings.jpg

EarlyStyleWingTank.jpg

Thanks for looking folks. Again, all constructive criticism and pointers are welcomed.

Mike

Mike

I was going to make some irreverent comments, but somehow those would be out of place here. Love the theme, and the reason for it. You're giving me the urge to do up my 1/32 Sabre in a natural metal colour as well; maybe not AX 365, but something similar.

Following this build with interest. Courageous work on the resin parts, especially being able to repair the mistakes of shaving too much resin.

Keep it up, my friend!

ALF

Thanks Patrick. A little bit of filler might be required around the seams to even things out. As an aside, yesterday, 09 June 2010, was the 57th anniversary of uncle Guy's death.

Slightly over three weeks of vacation started yesterday morning. :woo: I hope to get this project completed before I go back to work on 05 July. Some more progress since my last post. The front end has been buttoned up as has the rear halves. The engine has been glued in place and the back half has been glues to the front half. It was a pretty good fit for the most part. There is quite a step between the front and rear halves along the spine so some filling and sanding will be required. An interesting thing with the mouldings is that Kinetic has made the areas around the joins and seams void of detail. When you fill and sand, you don;t lose any surrounding details. Ingenious. Some filler was also required along the top and bottom fuselage seams but not a lot. I'll post some photos as the seams get cleaned up.

Tanks for looking.

Mike

Thanks ALF. Irreverent comments are always in order. I don't take myself and things like that too seriously. Life is way too short. I'm not sure of any aftermarket NMF Sabre decals in 1/32 scale except for those produced by Bill at CanMilAir. He's got a relatively new set for 410 Sqn at North Luffenham circa 52-53 and a bunch of other sqns, i.e. 401, 413, 427, 430, 434, 438, 444 etc. Going to have to get me some of them.

Before I digress further, some progress since the last post. Nose ring, panels on top of fuselage and wings have been glued in place. It looks like most of the major stuff is done. A few more minor things then it's into the paint shop. I'll be shooting a couple of light base coats of black followed by Alclad II Aluminum with contrasting metal shades on the gun ports and the exhaust opening. Decals will be coated shortly with MicroScale Liquid Decal Film.

Without further ado...

Top View

TopView.jpg

Profile Right

ProfileRight.jpg

Fuselage Join - top of front and rear sections

FuselageJoin.jpg

AMS Nose ring in place

NoseRing-Right.jpg

Cockpit enclosed

CockpitEnclosed.jpg

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone and thanks for looking.

Mike

Good work joining up the seams and filling, Mike! Hope your vacation is fun. I still have two more weeks until mine, but it's kind of impossible to concentrate on anything else right now. That's a sure sign the vacation is necessary.

I have a 421 Sqn sheet in 1/32 that is intended for a camo scheme. I'll have to compare it to the natural metal finish one you're doing, and see if it can't be used in that way.

ALF

I can really see the difference the aftermarket nose ring makes. I guess i should have looked harder for a set. Any pics of the Canadian F-4?

Don

I got mine from Harold at AMS Resin. It's a huge improvement over the kit piece. As for the Cdn F-4..

LeftSide-1.jpg

ALF...I presume you have the Leading Edge 1/32 set? If you do, you'll be able to use everything except the red / white / Indian head tail stripes. The natural metal finish Sabres had horizontal stripes on the tail whereas the camo versions had diagonal stripes.

GuysSabre005.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Or you can be a trend setter and make a what if bird in a natural metal finish with the diagonal tail stripes?

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Thanks for the excellent examples of the two variants. Chopping out the tail Indian Head and making horizontal stripes looks like a bit of a challenge to make it look right - given my skills, it is far more likely I get people zeroing in on the botched tail job, whereas if I become a 'trend setter' (love that term - lets me off the hook), nobody will notice.

Except for you, and your Uncle Guy (and hopefully he will just be happy that someone is thinking of him while building a model!).

Every day I drive by a Sabre gate guard here in Bagotville. It's natural metal (getting faded now in the wind, snow, rain, and sun), but I love the way it looks. My 1/48 439 Sqn Sabre is in the Euro camo scheme, and it would be nice to have a flashy shiny metal version.

ALF

Some more progress but no photos.

Rudder, wing flaps, canopy and windscreen glass glued in place. I have also applied a flat black primer coat to aid with the Alclad II paints I'll be using. It's drying as we speak...or as I type anyway.

The windscreen glass is a perfect fit. The canopy is too narrow at the front. I used a small piece of toothpick, as a brace, to widen the canopy glass at the rails. I then glued the canopy glass in place with white glue. I let it sit for 24 hrs to ensure it was completely cured. I then removed the toothpick brace with tweezers and glued the gunsight glass and windscreen piece in place. The windscreen and canopy fit very close but there is a very tiny gap that a bit of white glue fixed. I've also glued the drop tank hardpoints in place so that the model doesn't sit on its belly while the paint is drying.

With any luck, I'll be able to spray the Alclad Monday morning. I'm playing golf with some friends from high school on Monday. I have been informed that we are going to see Her Majesty's aunt and uncle in Horseheads, New York. I've also been told that I'm going to enjoy myself at Six Flags near Albany and that I'll have a really good time shopping in Syracuse on our way home. Oh joy...

Keep you posted.

Mike

Everything looking good Mike! :thumbsup:

As an O/T aside, since I finished the F-100 I'm back to my usual practice

of making airplanes with the little whirlly thingies on the front end

of them. In this case four 1/32 Spitfires. Two will be RCAF birds,

one of those being a XVIe of 421 Sqn. I have more reason now to add

a 421 Sqn. Sabre to the collection as well, eh?

Enjoy your visit south of the border! :cheers:

Edited by Kalashnikov-47
  • 2 weeks later...

Patrick, Holmes and geedubelyer:

Thank you for your kind words.

We got back from our mini holiday in New York State earlier. Spent 5 hours shopping in Corning on Saturday and almost 6 hours yesterday at the Waterloo Outlets. No model shops. :tumble: I did manage to take in the Wings of Eagles museum at the Elmira / Corning Regional Airport on Sunday. A small display with an A-7, F-15, B-26 Invader, B-57 and a Mohawk outside along with an Avenger, replica Ohka and He-162, F-9 Panther, A-10, Phantom and Tomcat inside. Teri's uncle Geoff advised that the museum sold its B-17 a couple of years ago to help defray costs. Too bad. We had a great time. Teri even made a unique blown glass ornament with assistance from the staff at the Corning Museum of Glass. Some very interesting pieces on display there.

Back to this build, since my last post, I've sprayed two light coats of MM flat black and then 2 light coats of MM Glosscote. I let them dry and then I sprayed the Alclad II white aluminum. After it dried for a day, although the instructions state you can mask after 10 minutes, I masked the gun ports and exhaust area and sprayed them with Alclad II steel. I had masked the anti glare panel prior to spraying the white aluminum and it looks great. I'll post some photos when more progress is made.

I had hoped to get this model completed before I go back to work on Monday but I'm not sure I'll get it done. Mom's birthday tomorrow, Canada Day on Thursday, golf on Friday and 'Honey - Do' on Saturday and Sunday. Fingers are crossed though.

PS - Patrick...you can never have enough 421 Sqn aircraft, not that I'm biased. :(

Take care folks and thanks for looking in.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Good to have you back Mike and I see you have been busy...

Cant Wait to see more from you..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO your MOM, HAPPY CANADA DAY etc..

and you missed all the fun at G20 summit... yeah.. :thumbsup:

Anyway back to the model.sounds like you have made some headway..

HOLMES :moai:

Hiya Holmes.

Life has indeed been busy. I'm really sorry I missed the stupidity of the G8 /G20....NOT. The Ottawa Police sent 50 officers to assist with the shenanigans in Toronto. We had our own issues to deal with such as Her Majesty being in Ottawa for the Canada Day celebrations so we couldn't send too many people to Toronto. Teri and I managed to witness some of the St. George's Day celebrations being held in and around the High Commissions in London while we were over there. Lots of fun with the Locally Engaged Staff at the High Commissions. They educated us and of course we had to have a beverage with them to celebrate the occasion. :cheers:

Back to the subject at hand...

The painting is finished. I also masked and sprayed the grey and black on the top of the vertical stabilizer. It looks very good. I've started putting on the stickies - as Teri would say. I have a few sets of the Sabre 5/6 stencils from Leading Edge Models. They look much better and appear to be more accurate than the kit supplied stencils. I've started applying those and will hopefully get to the squadron codes and markings next week.

I've decided against any more photos for now. I'll provide updates but the next photos will be of the completed model.

Thanks for looking my friends. For those enduring the southern Ontario heat wave, take care. Stay inside and keep hydrated.

Mike

The Leading Edge stencils are all on. All 106 of them. I started applying the CanMilAIr decals and I pulled a dumb - a** move on one of the vertical stab decals. :) I've asked Bill to print me a replacement. I feel like such a knob because the error was due to sheer stupidity. The home stretch is in sight as is the finish line.

I will bow to public pressure and post a few photos of what I've done so far. However, I give William Burns - Mr. CanMilAir himself - the first glimpse of the model completed with his decals; a sneak preview as it were before I post them anywhere else. Sort of a tradition I have with him.

Anyway, a few shots. As noted previously, the airframe is Alclad II white aluminum and the exhaust opening and gun ports are steel. Anti glare panel is MM flat black with MM Glosscote over top. The stencils were time consuming but they give a great air of realism. I hope you approve.

BewareofBlast.jpg

PortFuelFill.jpg

PortSide.jpg

NoseStuff.jpg

StarboardSide.jpg

StarboardNose.jpg

Thanks for looking and I really thank all of you who have posted and commented for your support and encouragement. It is truly appreciated.

Mike

If I didn't have an inferiority complex before, now would be the time to develop one - beautiful looking work!! How do you get all those stencils on without going totally cross-eyed?

Derek:

You flatter me. Thank you. I'll give you 20 minutes to stop. :cheers:

I just take my time and break it down into manageable segments. Tops of wings on one day, bottom of wings the next, one side of fuselage the next day and the other side of the fuselage the day after that. That and a pair of 1.50 drug store reading glasses and a magnifying light help too. The main markings from CanMilAir will be a breeze...unless I bugger them up again.

Mike