Guys hi

I'm working on another F-4 painting with the composition pretty much firmed up and a quick value study completed. .

3birdpeelb.jpg

2b on vellum 12" x 8"

No title as yet.

The background image added to give some context

3birdpeelcomp.jpg

The full size line drawing needs to be completed next

A quick , small and nearly complete study.

As you can see I've moved No1 back a little.

3birdp1a.jpg

The benefit of this study has paid off already as it shows most of the colours are NOT what I want - sky too dark, whites too blue, but I'll finish it regardless. I've always intended to to a half size study at 18" x 12, so this one at 12"x 8" is on the small size, making the detail very fiddly ! - Truth be told this was only prep'd board I had to hand and I wanted to play with

paint.

Finished - still given its only 12" x 8" that's not much to boast about nods.gif

3birdp2a.jpg

It turned out better than I thought it would when half complete, the colours are not as bad as I thought and I think it's good enough to sign !

When I look at this on screen it's the same size as the actual painting 12" (30cm) wide, which is why the detail is so loose. On to the half size study and line drawing.

Pete

Pete,

Concept and excecution is excellent, IMHO. A technical point, though, Navy centerline tanks are 2 degrees nose down

in relation to the bottom of the fuselage (as are the wing pylons), not paralell like the later USAF centerlines.

Maybe it's me, but the centerline tanks on your 2 fwd a/c don't appear to be nose down.

(It's probably me)

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by mudrat

wow! That is on a board about the size of a sheet of paper?!?!? I would be proud of that if I'd painted it 42 X 30 !!!

Question, on the pencil study, was the background added digitally from a scan or something or did you add that by hand on the sheet?

Also, I definately agree with the slight composition change of moving the no. 1 plane up. it un-busys (that's a bill scrabble word!) the cockpit area of of no. 2. wise choice in my opinion. Besides, now you don't have to worry about some obscure wing shape light defraction in the canopy.

Can't wait to see this one done!

Bill

Cheers guys

Stephen - good call on the tank, I've altered the line drawings accordingly.

Bill - Yes working this small is a challenge, but it forces me to work loosely and not worry too much about the detail. The background is based on a photo I took out of an airliner window , and yes I've just added it digitally to the pencil sketch.

I intend to do a half size colour study (18" x 12") before doing the full size painting at 36" x 24". I need to work the detailed line drawing next.

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit of a dodgy photo, but I've transfered the drawing for the half sized study onto a piece of unmounted fine canvas. I'll seal this with a wash of acrylic burnt sienna and then I can break out the oils again.

cs1a.jpg

I've got the full size line drawing stuck to the wall at the moment and it looks pretty cool. #213 measures... 24.5" tip to tail !

Danny Coreman's excellent "Uncovering the US Navy Phantom" turned up in the post this week, so I'm busy checking the details as the larger studies demand more attention to detail.

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman

Three hours work and the sky is pretty much done. I'll let this dry before adding the last details, and then tackling the Phantoms.

cs11aa.jpg

I deliberately didn't use the previous colour study as a guide as I wanted to try slightly darker colours for the sky in this version. Given I knew I would have to blend the sky with the fan brush I masked the two smaller F-4's so I could blend without worrying about losing the drawings.

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman