Need some help re Fire-fighting Cobras

09 05 10

Guys I have just ordered the following decals sheet:

1:48 Draw Decal USFS Firewatch AH-1 Cobra #48-Cobra-1

DWD48COBRA-01

Never realised such a thing exisited, but have been advised they are totally re-configured inside the cockpit etc.

Can anyone advise me on these machines and maybe point in the direction of good reference, pls?

Thanks in advance

Liam

Thanks guys. I eventually found some pics, but no infomation on the configuaration of these Cobras. I was wondering tho': the photos I found are similar ot the red and white on posted here. The photos state that it's and AH-1F. I have 1/48 Cobra AH-1S and AH-1G. What's the difference between the F model and the G model?

Thanks in advance, Liam

The Firewatch Cobra (the red & white one) is primarily used for Infra-red mapping on large fires so any changes in the cockpit would be related to that equipment. The dome on the front is the FLIR. A secondary role is as an air attack coordinating aircraft on the fire.

The Firewatch Cobra is not a water dropper, but Washington State and Florida have some Cobras used for suppression that can carry a bambi bucket.

This probably won't help your build, but you might find it interesting and shows you what it does. It is watching a helicopter dropping ping pong balls for a firing operation. The ping pong balls have a chemical inside, as they leave the launcher a second chemical is injected which causes the ping pong ball to ignite after 20-30 seconds.

Here's what I've got for our DNR birds that are based in Ellensburg every summer. We've usually got about 3 Hueys and 3 Cobras here from mid-May/early June through September. I try to get over there at least once when they are here, so if you want anything else, let me know and I can try to get it for you when they come in.

Aaron

Thanks guys. I eventually found some pics, but no infomation on the configuaration of these Cobras. I was wondering tho': the photos I found are similar ot the red and white on posted here. The photos state that it's and AH-1F. I have 1/48 Cobra AH-1S and AH-1G. What's the difference between the F model and the G model?

Thanks in advance, Liam

Liam,

Those Cobras are indeed AH-1F's. They old designation is AH-1S(MC). One of the major identifying features of the F model (vs the G or early S) is the flat plate (instead of the rounded) canopy. AH-1F also had a Garrett plume suppressor and modified aft cowling, although I notice only the Washington State Cobra still has the original F cowling (with the suppressor removed, however) The Forest Service and the other bird have the earlier, G-style cowling. All the Cobras have what we used to call a 'trainer nose', which was a fiberglass nose that replaced the TSU turret on S-model Cobras used as trainers. All of them also have the gun mount faired over.

You'll have to do a bit of kitbashing to get the configuration for the Forest Service bird, although I seem to remember a Fujimi kit of an AH-1S(Mod) that had the flat plate canopy and the older-style cowling.

Hope this helps

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the terrific pictures and Aaron, thanks for the link to those walkarounds. The challenge will be the bulged canopies! I don't have a vac former. How the heck am I going to do those????

William G: Anything you could get for me, especially for the cockpits would be excellent.

EDWMatt: Thanks for the information. I have hte Fujimi 1/48 AH-1S and a G as well, so I think I am ok for those bits you mentioned. The FLIP pod is another issue. Any suggestions where I might rob one of those from?

Again, thanks guys. When I saw the decals, I had to have them and THEN thought: How am I going to build this baby???

The photo reference is excellent and encouraging.

Liam

EDWMatt: Thanks for the information. I have hte Fujimi 1/48 AH-1S and a G as well, so I think I am ok for those bits you mentioned. The FLIP pod is another issue. Any suggestions where I might rob one of those from?

Liam

Hi Liam

The camera ‘ball’ is a FLIR Systems Star Safire III. I don’t recall this ever being produced as an aftermarket accessory (perhaps in 1/72nd scale, but not 1/48th). It would be easy to turn a basic representation on a Dremel or electric drill. You don’t need to worry about representing the windows because in the stowed position (for landing) they point upwards into the TFU and are hidden. The unit has a height (not including the mount) of 17.55" and a diameter of 15.1".

Some more info: The ‘tube’ on top of the post behind the wire cutter on the cockpit roof is an infra red camera for the pilot. On the front, left cross-tube is an omni-directional antenna for the BMS microwave video transmission system. The large screen in the front cockpit is the display for the Avalex digital mapping computer. It looks like the 12.1" display which is 10.12" high and 11.6" wide.

HTH