1/72 M1126 Stryker

Do those PE sheets come with replacements for the jerry can holders on the rear of the Stryker? The kit parts are noticeably far too thick.

Otherwise the kit is really nice, and I'm looking forward to see what you will do with it.

Yes they do. I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be a fairly noticeable difference between the side armor and the rear armor, but there is. I'll get around to adding that. It comes in Eduard's stryker detail set, not their Slat Armor set though.

Take care,

Austin

Having followed your MH-60K Diorama, with its exacting details and the colors and weathering SO perfect, I am going to enjoy this build too I know..

Are you going to have some sort of dio added to this for effect as well Austin...

No matter ,the build will be STUPENDOUS....

HOLMES <_<

Where did you get these sets. I have the academy Stryker (slightly better kit to me) Would it be compatable? I dont know if the same issue with the trumpeter 1/35 kit exists with the trumpeter 1/72 kit. Its too short in length.

Where did you get these sets. I have the academy Stryker (slightly better kit to me) Would it be compatable? I dont know if the same issue with the trumpeter 1/35 kit exists with the trumpeter 1/72 kit. Its too short in length.

I'm guessing the same problem exists. Granted they have a few other 72nd scale models that they don't have in 35th, so it may have been fixed. I seem to remember reading that the D-toys conversions for academy has some issues with it's length. I'm sure the detail set would work to detail up the academy stryker, but I'm not too sure how the slat armor would fit, and since it said that it was made for the trumpeter kit, I wasn't going to try and force it, at least this time.

As for where I got them, it was Michigan Toy Soldier, but direct links for Slat Armor and for Detail Set.

Michigan Toy Soldier is a pretty good online store for 1/72 figures and armor models. I have no affiliation, however, I like their service.

And Holmes, as far as a diorama is concerned, I might have a few figures and a base, but nothing too dynamic, at least that's what I'm planning on now...

Take care,

Austin

PS if you guys ever do this... try not to go crazy (as in trying the same thing and expecting different results)... I'll try to post pictures later of what I'm talking about... small parts and all....

So here's the night's progress...

I added the supports for the plate armor that goes under the slat armor. This may prove to be the most tedious thing as they are a lot of little fiddly bits that need to be added.

005.jpg

You can see there are 16 little parts up top, and there are 9 on the bottom.

009.jpg

And finally an overall shot of what's done... Hopefully tomorrow I'll have added the plate armor and gotten the other side up to speed. Then I'll start adding more of the upper hull PE from the stryker detail set.

006.jpg

Take care,

Austin

One hint - it isn't easy to replicate the viewport color using paint, but you can use metallic paper to get the same effect. I found some cheap origami paper in the same violet-red shade and in some tests it looked very convincing.

Origami paper? Hmm wouldn't have thought about that. I was planning on using the left over Echelon's Vision Block stickers that were intended for a 1/35th M113, but I use them for ALQ-144's on helicopters. Just have to cut it to size. Eduard also includes PE for all of the vision blocks, so I'm not too sure as to what I'll end up using...

IMG_1342.JPG

Take care,

Austin

Edited by arkhunter2002

So how is this coming along? Im working on the academy one right now. Shhould have bought a trumpeter one as well just to get the wheels. The weakest point on the academy kit is the wheel tread. Im doing mine up "vanilla" though with no armor. Just bags and packs.

So how is this coming along? Im working on the academy one right now. Shhould have bought a trumpeter one as well just to get the wheels. The weakest point on the academy kit is the wheel tread. Im doing mine up "vanilla" though with no armor. Just bags and packs.

Hi HWR MKII

Can you confirm that the trumpeter kit has a too-short hull but nice tyres? And the Academy has the right shape/proportions but lesser detail tyres?

Which would you recommend?

TIA!

Cant confirm as of yet. I havent got the trumpeter kit. Id like to find out though. When i was talking about length issues i was talking about differences in the 1/35 kits that trumpeter and AFV club make.

Edited by HWR MKII

Hmmmm I knew about the length difference, but I wonder if they took into account the piece that attaches onto the front of the hull. I'll post pictures of what I'm talking about in a little bit.

And I'd say trumpeter's tires are pretty nice. I haven't looked into the Academy kit too much to know about the tires. I should probably pick one up for the fun of it...

Take care,

Austin

Pics pics pics!!!

Here's the piece that attaches to the front of the hull (highlighted in red)

011.jpg

The top has quite a bit of photo etch needed to be added...

012.jpg

I still have to add the slat armor arms and the slat armor, but before I get there, I need to add all of the details from the other PE set. Sorry about these pictures being a little blurry...

013.jpg

014.jpg

Take care,

Austin

The academy kit has a similar breakdown. Upper and lower hull with that seperate front cap. Another difference is that ALL the upper hatches are molded open with seperate hatches.

I have the base construction done on mine too just detailing now.

Edited by HWR MKII

Enjoy it. THe kit falls together it has some missing details up front around the drivers hatch though. those small round lugs all over hte surface are all missing from the academy drivers hatch.

Heres some shots of mine so far with some Prieser figures and test stowage.

the tires are the weak spot on the academy kit to me. no real tread. Id love to get some copies of the trumpeter wheels for it.

modelpics044.jpg

modelpics043.jpg

modelpics042.jpg

Looks awesome! How do you plan on painting/weathering it? I think I've seen Tamiya Nato Green and white to scale the paint, but I'm pretty sure if you just use Nato Green it would look fine too. I'm not too sure about painting armor and doing that whole weathering process as it looks to be a bit different than aircraft.

Here's a nice little build on armorama. I really wanted to do a Mk 19, but I felt that it would be almost a direct copy. Another thing that I want to do is have MRE's strapped on the side of the hull under the slat armor. I saw a pic of it, and it looked pretty sweet.

As far as the ACA kit goes, I dry fitted the hulls together and they fit nicely. I think I'm going to order some stuff from Tracks N Troops. They have resin wheels for it, and I could probably get some other stuff for it.

There is a small length difference between the academy kit and the trumpeter kit, but the width didn't seem noticeable, however, I do have PE that makes it thicker/harder to eyeball. I doubt the either of the eduard PE sets would fit the academy kit, which is a bummer. I'm sure some parts would fit, just not all of them... On a good note, I guess, the axles line up on the strykers which means that the length differences come from the front of the stryker. The Trumpeter stryker is a bit shorter.

Im going to do it straight nato green. My weathering process will provide the needed look. Im no stranger to weathering. I have become addicted to 1/72 scale in recent years. I still have some 1/35 kits around but for some reason they dont seem as fun. Heres an example of weathering on my academy dragon wagon. Im going to do a similar intensity of weathering on the stryker.

modelpics054.jpg

modelpics056.jpg

modelpics058.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Thanks guys. I ordered the Black Dog stowage set for it. I'm thinking about using the tire on top of the winch and the stuff underneath the straps so I don't have to fuss with the PE straps. Tomorrow I should have the shield around the hatches done, and maybe start on the lower parts of the slat armor. Who knows...

Anyways, I added the arms for the slat armor. There are some more that need adding, but they are at odd angles, so I will put those on when I attach the slat armor proper.

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

Take care,

Austin