Terrible Tyke and others

Gents:

Two new sheets from Wolfpak Decals. The first sheet 72-031 is titled Sam Busters & Tyke. It contains an EF-4C from Spangdahelm, EF-10B from Danang, two F-16CJ's of the 55th FS, the F-105F flown by Leo Thorsness on his CMH mission, an A-6B of VA-34, MIG-25BM and the F-4D Terrible Tyke.

The second sheet 72-032, is named Recce Birds. This sheet has an RA-5C from the Enterprise,U-2R, SR-71A's Bodonian Express, the Libyan BDA aircraft & ASARS-2 a/c, RF-101C from Shaw AFB, RF-4C from Mountain Home AFB and a C-130B-II used during the Vietnam War.

The website has ben updated and the buttons are hot. Remember to refresh your browsers.

Mark S.

Sht31ARC.jpg

Sht32ARC.jpg

Mark,

Please oh please release these two sheets in 48th scale??!! If I can't get both, I would settle for 032 as I have a 48th RF-101C conversion just crying for those decals. BTW, I just placed an order for your first two 48th sheets, I'm looking forward to them! TIA,

Rick

Not sure what color the radome on that C-130B-II was, but it wasn't gunship gray. That color didn't exist in 1971. I'd imagine it was just weathered black, since C-130 radomes were universally black at that time.

FWIW, my uncle flew many missions aboard the C-130B-II Sun Valley birds as a Russian linguist when they were based at Yokota in the early 1960s. He's got some hairy stories!

J

Want to point out a few things regarding the MiG-25. I don't have pictures of the particular bird, but usually:

1: Wheel hubs should be painted green, around same shade as you have on the exhaust.

2: Speaking of the exhaust i don't remember seeing it painted green on the *outside*. Just remember seeing bare metal. Insides however, are painted, but usually rather faded.

3: Again, i don't have pics of that bird in particular, but the gray panells are darker.

Sorry all that above is wrong for BM version, dont have pics of it since my HD crashed.

Jennings,

If it is faded black it must have been on the aircraft for ages. It looks in the photo to be much lighter than the prop spinners. To reproduce the color it appears the gunship grey is the closest match.

Berkut,

If you could find photos and post them it would be appreciated. I'll change the instructions but only based on actual photos of a MIG-25BM in color.

Regards,

Mark

When I copy the image above, put it into my paint program and enlarge the MiG-25, the exhaust doesn't appear "green" but looks to more of a darker shade of burnt metal (which it should be I suppose) to me. Also the RGB ratio comes out as something other than green as well.

Edited by madmanrick
Berkut,

If you could find photos and post them it would be appreciated. I'll change the instructions but only based on actual photos of a MIG-25BM in color.

Regards,

Mark

A walkaround for example:

http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/mi...5bm_2/index.htm

Same ac from 1995:

http://www.bellabs.ru/Fotab/Gallery/MiG-25BM_01.html

Also, i am quite certain 164'th was based in Brzeg. Some black and white pictures, but the whellhubs looks dark, which suggests green color. Can't remember seeing any other color on MiG-25 wheelhubs anyway. In the middle of the page:

http://www.bellabs.ru/Fotab/BR-366-164/BR-366-164.html

When I copy the image above, put it into my paint program and enlarge the MiG-25, the exhaust doesn't appear "green" but looks to more of a darker shade of burnt metal (which it should be I suppose) to me. Also the RGB ratio comes out as something other than green as well.

Hmm okei, appears to be green here.

Mark,

Please oh please release these two sheets in 48th scale??!! If I can't get both, I would settle for 032 as I have a 48th RF-101C conversion just crying for those decals. BTW, I just placed an order for your first two 48th sheets, I'm looking forward to them! TIA,

Rick

Yea, seriously. I'd love these in 1/48th.

I think I like the Shaw jets with the yellow fins a little better (29th TRS), but I'd love to do that one too. There are so many jets on these sheets that I've always wanted to do!

I refreshed my browser and all, but I still can't see the new releases or the other recent releases for that matter. Maybe I'm not meant to see them to refrain me from buying them ;)

RYAN.

Ryan,

Here you go:

http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/WP72-6.html

Berkut,

The written instructions are correct and have the colors you mentioned. I'll modify the artwork before I print the next batch of instruction sheets.

Gents,

The faded black radome on the C-130 that appears gunship grey is probably the result of UV damage caused by the sun. Most black pigments are concentrated amounts of other colors. The three principle blacks in paints and other coatings (including anodized finishes) are red, blue and green. If you have ever used too much laundry bleach on a black sock you'll see what I mean. When the dye fades it turns out to be one of the three above mentioned colors. There are other black coatings that use carbon black but they are not common. I'd say that the radome was painted with a red-black pigmented paint. Gunship grey has some red it as well.

Jwest,

Come on over to the dark side ;)

Edited by Mark S.

I receivied my "Terrible Tyke" sheet in the mail today - thanks Mark! It looks great. I dusted off my Matchbox Skyknight and started working on it this afternoon. It was still sealed and had a $7 price tag on it, ah the good 'ol days... :thumbsup: Can't wait to use your nice looking decals for it.

Thanks again,

-Derek

I dusted off my Matchbox Skyknight and started working on it this afternoon. It was still sealed and had a $7 price tag on it, ah the good 'ol days... :explode:

The Skyknight is the next one that Revell needs to get re-popped now that they've gotten the Privateer and the Buckeye re-issued.

And should they do that... Mark... let me make a formal request now for a few of the night-fighters from Korea... particular the "12-7/8" bird... the one named "Widow Maker" and the one with two kills! :sunrevolves:

Mark... let me make a formal request now for a few of the night-fighters from Korea... particular the "12-7/8" bird... the one named "Widow Maker" and the one with two kills! :sunrevolves:

Yeaa...that would be nice!

• 2 weeks later...