New Robin Hood movie.....

All the special effects, fast lenses and natural light, surround sound, or even Higgins boats with oars cannot top an old-fashioned swashbuckler from the great days of the studios.

I will definitely give you that, and agree with your conclusion. But come on, Audrey Hepburn as Maid Marian! :cheers:

Mark

Who will be the first person to do a 'Norman landing craft' out of the Italeri LVCP in time for the Nats this year....only bad thing would be finding a literal boat-load of knights to load it up with!

Prince John: Such an unusual name, "Latrine." How did your family come by it?

Latrine: We changed it in the 9th century.

Prince John: You mean you changed it TO "Latrine"?

Latrine: Yeah. Used to be "S***house."

Prince John: It's a good change. That's a good change!

Ah, Robin Hood: Men In Tights...you just can't beat that movie. :thumbsup:

Edited by The_Animal

Wot? You can't be serious! Robin Hood at Hastings? Sure that is what is being portrayed? I heard Richard Lionheart was meant to be the baddy in this one and he was King in the 1190s not the 1060s. Also every Hood legend has Robin fighting Norman oppression well inland, Sherwood and Nottingham being about as far from the sea as it is possible to get in England (OK it is still not far I admit, but far enough for people in the neighbouring county, Derbyshire, to develop the famous Derby Neck due to Iodine deficiency). Shame on Englishman Ridley Scott if he has allowed the Hollywood srceenwriters to get it that badly wrong.

Wot? You can't be serious! Robin Hood at Hastings? Sure that is what is being portrayed? I heard Richard Lionheart was meant to be the baddy in this one and he was King in the 1190s not the 1060s. Also every Hood legend has Robin fighting Norman oppression well inland, Sherwood and Nottingham being about as far from the sea as it is possible to get in England (OK it is still not far I admit, but far enough for people in the neighbouring county, Derbyshire, to develop the famous Derby Neck due to Iodine deficiency). Shame on Englishman Ridley Scott if he has allowed the Hollywood srceenwriters to get it that badly wrong.

Well there is an opposed landing at Omaha...errr....some beach in the trailer. The only non-Viking invasions were 1066 and 1688....though this supposed to have something to do with the Magna Carta - so there is 1215 or so. maybe we'll get an explanation of Stonehenge and why it was in danger of being trod upon by a drawf.

At least the rumours of Ben Afleck being one of the Merry Men who went on to eventually help found Jamestown was false....I hope

Well there is an opposed landing at Omaha...errr....some beach in the trailer. The only non-Viking invasions were 1066 and 1688....though this supposed to have something to do with the Magna Carta - so there is 1215 or so. maybe we'll get an explanation of Stonehenge and why it was in danger of being trod upon by a drawf.

At least the rumours of Ben Afleck being one of the Merry Men who went on to eventually help found Jamestown was false....I hope

"have you even been to stonehenge?"

Watching something on th History Channel - and we all know how good they are with history! It may have been France they were invading...may actually have been Omaha! So they get to kill Frenchmen in this film....may not be so bad! ;p

There's a pretty good set of novels by Parke Godwin called "Sherwood" and its sequel "Robin and the King" that set Robin and company during the aftermath of the Norman invasion, so instead of Robin vs Prince John it's Robin vs William the Conqueror. A lot of it holds up really well for the change. Very believable, and there are tie-ins to actual historical events - including wars between Norman England and France.

That's not to say I expect this movie to be as well crafted...in fact, as soon as I saw Cate Blanchett in armor I knew historical accuracy was going out the window. Might be a fun watch, though.

That's not to say I expect this movie to be as well crafted...in fact, as soon as I saw Cate Blanchett in armor I knew historical accuracy was going out the window. Might be a fun watch, though.

The words "historical accuracy" and "Robin Hood" can't be used in respect to *any* movie.

The whole thing is *legend*, so Ridley Scott can pretty much do with it as he will. Most of what we in the 20th and 21st centuries think we "know" about Robin Hood was invented in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Shane (excluding Higgins Boats)

All I can tell by the trailer is you can definitley see the Gladiator similarities since we have the same director and leading mad. Couple that with Saving Private Ryanesque filming and "300 type" of body sculpting and it screams, wait for the Blue Ray for me!! :salute:

So they get ....Frenchmen in this film....may not be so bad! ;p

"Well what are you then?"

I'm French! Why do you think I have this OUTRAAAAGous accent"

"What are you doing in Mercia?"

"Mind your own business"

Quoted from a possibly more historically accurate movie... :salute:

Bill

Hey, you can still be historically accurate and have a cast of characters who are nothing but legend - just pick a date and make everything period-appropriate.

Um...like the Pythons did in "Holy Grail"...

For those frustrated at yet another movie-industry foray into "history," don't be frustrated. They're storytellers, not historians. You shouldn't go to the Renaissance Festival (...well, there's good advice if I stop right there....) thinking it's history, either. Very, very few films are really useful as historical depiction. The strongest argument anyone seems to present in protest to this is that "but people will think it's history, and that's dangerous." Well, maybe people will think it is, but people get all sorts of stuff sold to them as "history" from a variety of sources, already. People in the past didn't do what they did just to entertain you, (much less provide convenient ammunition for latter-day political arguments).

My favorite "medieval" movie? Princess Bride. As if you had to ask.

Edited by Fishwelding

Just got finished watching the History Channel program on Robin Hood and it did do a very good coverage of the history of the myth and any actual ties into historical fact and English society during the period around the Crusades.