What do you do with unused decals?

I am seeing that my drawer for unused/extra decals is filling up much faster than I can put them to use. Do you have a similar problem? If so, what do you do? Throwing them away just does not feel right.

For years, I have chosen to keep the unused decals in case I would need them in the future. With the increased availability of aftermarket decals and such, I hardly ever find myself going back to an old decal set. If any, I may take some strips of decals for tiny needs but nothing else. With that, the pile gets bigger and bigger. Any recommendations?

I have always wanted to send out my unused decals for those who might need them, but (1) I feel everybody is on the same boat, (2) Would be difficult to fulfill each request, (3) Not sure if there would be demand for partially used decal sets. Anyway, just wanted your opinions. Thank you.

I'm not in the same boat. I'm getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus and I haven't started using aftermarket decals yet. I would gladly take (or purchase at a steep discount) <_< whatever decals (whole or partial) you'd like to send since I'm always looking for spares or something different for a what-if.

My decal stash is now probably bigger then the kit stash, well in numbers at least, not volume, (thank god).

Just a couple of years ago I found I needed a geschwader emblem that was on a sheet I purchased 40+ years ago. Never know when you may need/want something from the old sheets. Some of the oldies such as HisAirDec are really thick, and a lot of the Microscale/Superscale sheets that were new in the '70s-'80s now often disintegrate on use, but in I keep them all. Ironically the only ones I usually toss are the kit markings.

In the U.K., we don't have that problem; there's a decal bank, run by a member of the I.P.M.S., and any that are surplus to requirements, can go to him.

Edgar

In the U.K., we don't have that problem; there's a decal bank, run by a member of the I.P.M.S., and any that are surplus to requirements, can go to him.

Edgar

I recomend this, keeps your decals down and if you need anything in particualr you can often find a partial sheet at the decal bank so you dont end up buying a whole new sheet.

A great service.

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)

Edgar

Sounds like a good idea, probably doesnt work for the former colonies though ;)

Sounds like a good idea, probably doesnt work for the former colonies though :D

Why not? I have sent some of my spares to the Decal Bank from down here in return for some I was seeking. Works well. The Decal Bank is a world wide service.

Our Local club also has a similar decal bank service though I think it is under utilised....

if anyone has a 1/72 "FIRE EXTINGUISHER" decal... lol.... i only have decals from 1 plane (cos I have only built one since restarting modelling) but guess keep, swap, use for other models.....

Speaking of extras, does anyone have spare decals for the Academy 1/35 UH-60L? I botched the two tiny ones (#12) on the VHF-FM homing antennas.

Well, if we are allow to ask, I am looking for a part of the TwoBobs 48-088 F-16C/D part I. maybe someone has it as spares. we can ask, rigth? :cheers:

Happy Modeling

Byron

Hang on to them. You never know when you will need that odd decals that was left over from a previous project. They also come in handy to check out a new type of decal solution, paint, etc. In rare cases, you may find that you have enough bits and pieces to decal a kit rather than buying a whole new sheet. We modelers are a unique type. I would not use the term "pack rat," but rather "selective keepage." I don't think you'll find that word in Mr. Webster's book, but you get the idea. About the only thing that I don't hang on to is all of the sprue that comes with each kit. Notice that I used the word "all." I keep some sprue

I save them up for decades and one day will have an enormous fire and burn them all. Videos will be posted online, much to the horror of collectors!

Muh-wah-hahahahahaha!

no, no... I think it would be best to give them to the needy...

That would be the generous and right thing to do.

I could use some decent roundels for the upper wing on a 1/32 Spitfire. :worship: I toasted the ones that came in the Tamiya kit!

Edited by Miccara

Edgar

That's a grand idea! I'm always happy to share my decal scraps (and leftover parts) with anyone in need....

I could use some decent roundels for the upper wing on a 1/32 Spitfire. :coolio: I toasted the ones that came in the Tamiya kit!

I might be able to help.... It's late now and I'm heading to bed, but I can check later on. Also, my short term memory is hosed, so you will not offend me if you have to send me a friendly reminder in a few days. :salute:

:banana:

- Patrick